Sign in to follow this  
Otis62

Webber

Things are about to change at fortress Carrow Rd me thinks. Webber and Farke would be an excellent fit for Southampton. Let'ssee how committed they are to NCFC!

With any luck, this will be a classic international break rumour, ending with Hughes sacked with allardyce ( or similar.....harry rednapp leaving the jungle early maybe)taking over at Soton. Meanwhile the good ship Canary sails onwards and upwards. Good shout whoever suggested Olive to Gala... brilliant idea. He can see his way to his dotage in that fine league.

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the World of Norwich City. Its hard to think of anyone with a modicum of success  that we have had in the last 40 years that was not then immediately linked to another club. Most of them go . 

Webber's CV is active .  Wrexham, Liverpool, QPR and Huddersfield Town and now us in a relatively short space of time. If Southampton come calling we will almost certainly have to match his money at the very least, and hope that this is enough. 

We have got to stop thinking of these guys as anything other than professional football folk.  Clubs like Norwich (and Southampton) do everything for these people, moving from one part of the country to another is no problem. Every club has a Phil Lythgoe (but possibly not as efficient ! ) 

Suddenly that piece in the Independent takes on a new light? Worth keeping an eye on Nick Ma****er's twitter too.

I agree with Bethnal Green.  Webber seems to have complete reign over all footballing matters with us.  And complete backing from the owners.  That’s significant.  I think it unlikely he would move to Southampton without the same free reign.  And I don’t imagine their ownership model would make this easy to achieve.

Further to this, it’s taken him a good 15/16 months to create some momentum.  That’s surely the most difficult part of the job.  And there’s no guarantee he’ll get the time at Southampton to build that momentum.

I certainly don’t think it’s a forgone conclusion.  Southampton aren’t any bigger than we are.  Yes, they’ve got deeper pockets, but I think a significant pay rise, share options, bonus etc could be enough to retain him.

He's got form for this - don't forget he left Huddersfield in the season they went up.  Lightning striking twice?  But then, there is the statement that he left because Huddersfield were ditching their academy approach, whereas the blueprint here seems heavily invested in that as the model for the future of the club.

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Welcome to the World of Norwich City. Its hard to think of anyone with a modicum of success  that we have had in the last 40 years that was not then immediately linked to another club. Most of them go . 

Webber's CV is active .  Wrexham, Liverpool, QPR and Huddersfield Town and now us in a relatively short space of time. If Southampton come calling we will almost certainly have to match his money at the very least, and hope that this is enough. 

We have got to stop thinking of these guys as anything other than professional football folk.  Clubs like Norwich (and Southampton) do everything for these people, moving from one part of the country to another is no problem. Every club has a Phil Lythgoe (but possibly not as efficient ! ) 

Suddenly that piece in the Independent takes on a new light? Worth keeping an eye on Nick Ma****er's twitter too.

Add Wolves to that list of clubs too. That's six professional clubs already, and he's still in his mid-thirties!

Another factor that might make this an attractive proposition is Southampton's track record of investing in youth. There are likely to be three worse teams that Southampton this season, especially as they still have the 'new manager bounce' to factor in if they need it.

On 14/11/2018 at 20:22, TCCANARY said:

Farke's early ambition and training was to be a Sporting Director, he became a coach by accident, maybe Daniel is that seamless transition?

That's an interesting thought actually... If it really is all about transition and having a group of people who work well together, maybe Farke moving to Sporting Director and Reimer stepping up from assistant to head coach might be the board's Plan B if it's needed?  Theoretically that would cause minimal disruption to the squad...

On 14/11/2018 at 08:16, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Why? She was at Norwich before Webber was and no reason she can’t stay after he leaves. 

Sorry Bethnal but I would’ve read her recent interview. She didn’t quite make it to city under McNally!

On 14/11/2018 at 08:27, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Stuart lived in Huddersfield when she was working for Norwich. I believe she was working in south east when he was working at Wolves. It certainly wouldn’t be new to them. 

The interview on the main page suggests that moving here is the first time they have had to relocate as a family. Also in the time she has worked here they have had a child. Priorities in life change then and it’s unlikely they would now want to be so far apart.

I hadn’t realised she didn’t make the move until later - but they did decide to live apart (despite it not happening until later). 

I don’t know about what their priorities are so can’t speak for them but I would say they are many, many people working in football (and other walks of life) who live seperately from their families. With pretty much all career decisions it comes down to money, and a director of football of a Premier League club can earn close to a seven figure salary (including bonuses etc). This might mean they feel they can both leave Norwich and start afresh down in Southampton. 

Fmaily is obviously hugely important to many people, but I rarely stands in the way of people taking high powered, well paid jobs in their dream profession. There are countless managers, coaches and players who live away from their families. 

5 hours ago, City 2nd said:

Sorry Bethnal but I would’ve read her recent interview. She didn’t quite make it to city under McNally!

It was January 2016 that City swooped for the Coventry prodigy; 3.30pm on deadline day to be precise, with Ward a key cog in the contractual team of then chief executive David McNally.

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/zoe-ward-exclusive-her-canaries-stars-aligning-1-5783883