Sign in to follow this  
Otis62

Webber

Saving grace is they look like standing a very good chance of going down. Club seems to have stagnated somewhat.

I think it would be a strange move for Webber to make right now but I suppose it depends if they are going to offer him silly money. 

Still can't see it though. 

Didn’t see this when I bumped an older Webber thread. 

I had heard that he was a name Saints were considering but this article makes it seem a lot more serious than I realised. 

Even with Saints not doing great at the moment Webber would probably jump at the chance to go there. One of the best academies in the country, Premier League (and a good chance of avoiding relegation with Cardiff, Huddersfield and Fulham all looking way worse). Even if they were relegated Webber would probably go - he left a club on the verge of promotion to come to Norwich who were in dire straights. 

Seriously worried about this. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Southampton fans suggesting a double poach . That would sting but don’t think it will happen this season . 

You mean Mrs Webber as well?

1 hour ago, Otis62 said:

Hopefully he’ll stay and see his work come to fruition....

He didn’t at Huddersfield! Whatever happens it won’t affect what happens on the pitch this season, everything is now in place including any January targets. If we get promotion then I doubt any of us will care too much, Huddersfield fans don’t. If he goes and we fail to go up then it’s back to the drawing board.

Poses a question. When a premier league manager gets the sack what about the technical director? If there is any? Can they work long term for a premier league team and could that be what hold an interest for Webber. A premier league club and will stay in the division long enough to see him work his magic at that level. Personally Southampton could easily go down

@KiwiScot - agree with that. Still fairly early days but Fulham certainly look favourites for the drop and sfter them IMO Southampton are prime candidates for one of the other two relegation slots.

We'll see, newspapers have to create a story when there isn't anything else to write about.

He has no particular attachment to Norwich City beyond his employment. However, didn’t Mrs Webber just get a promotion or am I making that up?

That said, his is the major pay cheque and as a young man with ambition its likely that he’d at least listen to any approach. 

That, to me, makes it a concern. Especially if they are still doing poorly come January. Somebody like Mo Leitner might be worth a gamble if they looked in trouble and the gaffer could be worth a punt for them in an all or nothing last ditch clutch at the survival straw. 

We’d all like to think he feels he has unfinished business here but if it came to a simple remuneration comparison, we’d lose. 

And that, given that he’s been given a largely blank canvas, is a big worry. He has the next potential managers on his radar, players on his mind etc. I’d hope that we have considered the possibility of him being poached and in turn have potential replacements listed and monitored. Especially given our commitment to the new model. Ultimately, I suppose it will come down to whether this is a move that SW sees as an advancement. Perhaps the possibility that we could (big could) swap divisions with his suitors might make him sit tight. I hope so but I’m not particularly confident. 

• Like 1

Wouldn’t it be just nice, if for once, a football club of our stature appointed someone who loved getting their teeth into a long term challenge with the ambition of taking said club to the very highest level possible. That to me would be huge job satisfaction taking on that long term project and succeeding, rather than chopping and changing every couple of years on a whim. Will be bitterly disappointed if himself and Farke leave now - we’re building something so special here, let’s not have the rug swept out from under us now!

Edited by Alex Moss
Club not team

55 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

He hardly has a track record of sticking around for long at his previous clubs.

Look out......The Halls is back on stand-by....

These sorts of reports are an inevitable consequence of our recent success, the same goes for the Pukki thread.

Nothing in football is set in aspic, especially for a club which lacks big money, if he does go it will be a test of our new structure which as I understand it was designed so that we were not overly dependent on one individual.

Hope he has the desire to see the job through at Norwich, obviously a big money move for him personally will be tempting but there is also a lot of professional satisfaction and reward to be gained from seeing a job through.

Can’t really see this happening unless Southampton are prepared to take on Mrs Webber too, recently promoted within the corridors of Carrow Road!

Edited by City 2nd

If Southampton do approach Webber, a larger factor in whether he goes or not will be what role they are actually looking to recruit him in. 

If they are keeping their existing structure and look for direct replacements for Reed and Hunter there is a decent chance Webber might say no. At Norwich he has a role which covers the work both of those people did at Southampton, which gives him pretty much sole control of the entire footballing side of things at Norwich. 

If Southampton are planning on restructuring and merging the Reed and Hunter jobs into one ‘Director of Football’ then Webber would probably be very keen to take on that challenge.

It is worth noting that Webber is very good at using the media to improve player values - with the recent Independent article about him and this now from the Telegraph I wonder if he is looking to increase his own value for a potential contract renewal. He arranged an interview with the Independent with James Maddison last season to boost his profile and add few million onto his price tag - so it could be that is what he’s up to again. 

I will say that the writer of the Telegraph article, Jon Percy, is very reliable and doesn’t normally deal in tittle tattle. 

2 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Can’t really see this happening unless Southampton are prepared to take on Mrs Webber too, recently promoted within the corridors of Carrow Road!

Why? She was at Norwich before Webber was and no reason she can’t stay after he leaves. 

Really Bethnal. You actually see that becoming a long distance marriage? Unless of course you know different!!

4 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Really Bethnal. You actually see that becoming a long distance marriage? Unless of course you know different!!

Stuart lived in Huddersfield when she was working for Norwich. I believe she was working in south east when he was working at Wolves. It certainly wouldn’t be new to them. 

If I recall, a major part of the reason Webber left Huddersfield was that they had a falling-out over Huddersfield's decision to axe funding for their youth setup. (We took on a couple of their promising young players too who were left out in the cold by that decision, if I'm not mistaken). 

From everything we've seen so far here, Webber seems genuinely to believe that developing young players is the way to go. It's certainly possible that his head could be swayed by a huge pay offer, but given what he's achieved so far here, given his wife's role here, given that we seem to have a board willing to wholeheartedly embrace his ideas and visions for taking the club forward - I would be surprised if he left all that for a club with some significant instability and a very questionable top flight future. 

Farke I don't see going there this season even if Webber did go - If Hughes is sacked (likely to happen at some point this season) the fans will be demanding a big name appointment to keep them in the top flight, not a gamble on an up and coming manager, who Webber knows would require time to build the squad to suit his type of football.

Until Webbo categorically states that he's ecstatically happy at this club and is wholly determined to finish the job here at Carra......then we'll just have to wait......and see......

Personally, he may see the Saint's as another stepping stone to success as a solo successful successor, doing successful soccer an' stuff.......

Oh.....yeah......

We've been constantly told that the set-up at Norwich provides a seamless transistion so if a senior non-playing staffer leaves in theory it should all be painless if he does go to the Saints :classic_mellow:

Webber is very ambitious so I wouldn't expect him to get a long service tea set here even if we do go up this year but I hope he sees this season out and takes it from there. If he's that good other Premier League jobs will come along soon enough.

My main worry is if Farke leaves but that's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

• Like 1

Farke's early ambition and training was to be a Sporting Director, he became a coach by accident, maybe Daniel is that seamless transition?