Sign in to follow this  
allways travelling

Whats wrong with ashton and defence

Went to the game yesterday and ashtons performance was pathetic i have allways rated him but on todays showing i would have subbed him .he looks a shadow of the player he was last season.He looked unfit clumsy shooting from any position on the pitch hardly ever connecting properley slicing it several times at one point he tryed to pass across field to the left wing and it ended up in the second row of the coventry stand .Ithought at times he looked a bit disinterested and dont remember him winning any headers.I know everybody can have off days lets hope this was the case because in my eyes he had one hell of a stinker yesterday like our non existant defence in the first ten mins.Coventry looked two yards sharper than us in the first 10 mins our defence in that first 10 mins was a complete and utter joke looked like it had never played together and very very lethargic.At least davenport and docherty went some way to puting there no show early on into some recovery and for the rest of the game at least we did put the effort in to get back on terms.Mcveigh header to me looked like it had crossed the line the ref was in a good position but just looked over to the lino who bottled it would like to see replay.i thought it was a pretty shambolic afternoon. 

Yeh, Ashton did have a poor performance, He made some nice touches, but thats not why we bought him here. Anyone see how Ashton sprinted off the pitch at the end straight after the final whistle went, very odd.

Dav and Doc looked ruffled by their front 2, but sorted it out in the 2nd half. I thought McSheffery for them looked a top notch player, reminded me of Bellamy!

Robinson looked a decent player (better than Etuhu and Hughes from what i''ve seen so far), made a few stupid passes across the middle, but had an impressive debut.

My last point, Paul Mcveigh. Was awesome when he came on. The problem is that he will now play rubbish for the next 5 games, get dropped, and then put in another good sub performance, play rubbish the next 5 games, get dropped...........

Consistency is needed!!

Ashton was poor yesterday, but doesnt get a lot in the way of service. Both central midfielders yesterday stayed deep for most of the game, and becuase of this end up lumping long balls forward a lot of the time. 

McVeigh was good, not least because he was able to get into the middle and find space. This caused a lot of problems for Coventry in the 2nd half, and despite his inconsistency, McVeigh should be Ashton''s regular partner up front.

Im still not convinced that Henderson offers very much at all wide right; pace but little end product and complete lack of composure when he could have won it  late on

Robinson got predictably better as the game went on and looked very neat and tidy, but clearly also wants to sit in midfield , which means that although a very good back up for Safri, he needs someone alongside him who is going to make the runs forward. Hopefully Etuhu will be back for Derby

Ashton was poor yesterday. Ditto Millwall and several other games too this season. Much as many would like to pass the blame from golden boy to the usual whipping boys elsewhere in the team (and management) I think the problem is Ashton himself. He looks lethargic and disinterested to me and it looks like he''s been carrying an injury since the season started . He has numerous golden chances this season which have proved just as costly as our defensive mistakes. He''s looked poor in the air and his passing has been woeful at times too. We know and he knows his potential. Let''s hope he returns to it.

Meanwhile, I thought the turning point yesterday wasMcVeigh''s introduction. After Coventry had taken Huckerby out of the game (how did they get away with that) we needed someone to run at their defence and Paul duly obliged. Robinson looked good too

p.s. i didn''t think the ball crossed the line looked done from on high from behind the goal.

It''s not just Ashton, or the defence - it''s the whole team. They lack direction, motivation, tactics. get shot of Worthington and it would all change for the better.