Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Val

Pukki to Turkey ?

Recommended Posts

Turkey a footballers graveyard no one stays for very long if Teemu continues to score expect a lower PL team to sign him up next season obviously if we don't go up.  City noted selling club there are more attractive options than Turkey for TP.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

C'mon lads, grow a pair.  We are going up and Teemu is a big part of that. He's going nowhere until at least the summer.  By which time we'll have unloaded the last of the deadwood and there will more than just Pukki to deal with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If as BYG reports, he would be able to more than double his wages, he must surely find it very difficult to resist. At his age, a four-year contract on that sort of money could set him up for life.

Ultimately, if "his head is turned," we would have little option other than to sell - there is little point in holding on to an unhappy player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Badger said:

If as BYG reports, he would be able to more than double his wages, he must surely find it very difficult to resist. At his age, a four-year contract on that sort of money could set him up for life.

Ultimately, if "his head is turned," we would have little option other than to sell - there is little point in holding on to an unhappy player.

It's unfortunate, but you're exactly right Badger.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put it like this.

I know how much the left back at Gala is paid, and I reckon it is about 5 times as much as Pukki is earning at Norwich.

Yes they will be out of the Champions’ Legaue by the time the window opens. But they’ll definitely be in it again next season, and the one after that, and after that etc etc.

The Turkish League may be looked down upon by those in England, but across Europe it is still seen as a desirable place to play. It wasn’t that long ago that Galatasary were the 20th richest club in the world, they still regularly get 50,000 at home games. Also Istanbul is an amazing place to live if you are a wealthy professional footballer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, you know what? After consideration, I'm not as terrified of this possibility as I was at first. I think Webber & Farke will come up with a solution. We may have to rejig slightly - Rhodes coming more to the fore - but I think Emi is improving at such a rate & Onel such a handful that the goals would still come. And after all, Marco was born to score goals ...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Pukki or any of the other players who are doing well want to move on at any stage, they will move, probably at the end of a season - all of them for much more than we paid for them - and that is fine, but Pukki has been here less than half a season! 

When you have just found the ideal place to play for your ability, when the conditions of work are just right to get the best out of you, in a pleasant area to live in, your club is on the up and everything looks positive for your career, do you turn round at the first opportunity and try and get away from all that for an unknown, different and possibly hostile environment such as Galatasary presents, just for money and some (slightly arguable) prestige?

I don't think so.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More likely Gala reckon they can get him on the cheap.

Not sure a 29 year old striker who has had a good half season is going to command the kind of fee we would be looking for with our season in the balance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Sorry LDC, when you're being offered multiple times your existing wage & probably don't have more than 2-3 years at top earning capacity then 'just money' can be a very large factor in your decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is true that he turned down more lucrative offers to play in England, then I don’t think he’d want to leave in January. He could have had a decent offer from a top side in Switzerland or something which may have paid better, maybe even given him some European football. However, I get the impression he wanted a crack at the prem and while it looks like we might have a chance of going up in January, I can’t see him leaving.

 

If we don’t go up, he might think differently in the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

 

Sorry LDC, when you're being offered multiple times your existing wage & probably don't have more than 2-3 years at top earning capacity then 'just money' can be a very large factor in your decision.

We'll have to disagree on that one, Ron, I'm sure the lure of money is very important to many, but there are players who buck that trend and who are looking for other things as being the key factor in their career decisions - quality of life, the area, the philosophy of the football club etc - Hucks did it - it seems as if Tettey did it too.   Footballers do have a short playing career, but many of the top players  look to coaching, setting up footballing schools, working in the media etc after they leave - and Pukki is an absolute hero in Finland and will have a very good career as a pundit there if that is what he wants.  So money should not be the main thought in a player's decisions - the quality of the football is what should be the key - and that doesn't necessarily mean going to the biggest club you can.  I wonder if Angus Gunn is happier this season sitting on the bench collecting lots of money, than he was last season playing every game and being an absolute hero at a club he loves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the reason he turned down more lucrative offers in the summer was because at that point he was looking for the best springboard to further his career? Scoring goals in the Danish league at the age of 28 isn't going to get you noticed by 'bigger' clubs, but scoring a bunch in the Championship definitely will. His stock has risen so fast, I think he may well be interested in such a move... but obviously it's all speculation at this point and of course I hope he stays.

If he does go, though, and we can shift Nelson in January too, we just bring in one more striker and get Adam Idah on the fringes of the first team squad. This is the nature of our philosophy nowadays - the last couple of months have been remarkable, but we're bound to face some curve balls between now and the end of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lake district canary said:

We'll have to disagree on that one, Ron, I'm sure the lure of money is very important to many, but there are players who buck that trend and who are looking for other things as being the key factor in their career decisions - quality of life, the area, the philosophy of the football club etc - Hucks did it - it seems as if Tettey did it too.   Footballers do have a short playing career, but many of the top players  look to coaching, setting up footballing schools, working in the media etc after they leave - and Pukki is an absolute hero in Finland and will have a very good career as a pundit there if that is what he wants.  So money should not be the main thought in a player's decisions - the quality of the football is what should be the key - and that doesn't necessarily mean going to the biggest club you can.  I wonder if Angus Gunn is happier this season sitting on the bench collecting lots of money, than he was last season playing every game and being an absolute hero at a club he loves.

Unfortunately, I expect most footballers don’t live in your fantasy world. Most human beings, as well as footballers, would change jobs if it meant their salary was being quadrupled. We have to hope the club take a strong stance if any offers are received for Teemu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Unfortunately, I expect most footballers don’t live in your fantasy world. Most human beings, as well as footballers, would change jobs if it meant their salary was being quadrupled. We have to hope the club take a strong stance if any offers are received for Teemu.

Is Huckerby a fantasist then, or someone who recognised a good club when he saw one?  Maybe Teemu still feels he has something to give at a higher level of football, but given his actions in coming to Norwich, money will not be the major factor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think it’s far more likely Oliveira ends up at Galatasaray than Pukki, would probably be the better fit for them too. Infact I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that’s what ultimately happens in January.

 

Pukki seems super happy here. He doesn’t give the vibe of the kind of bloke to jump ship just for some extra cash - having watched some of his interviews he just doesn’t come across like that at all, he seems to have a bit of substance about him. Would hazard a guess promotion and playing in the Premier League would be a bigger carrot than Galatasaray at the moment. Just my opinion though.

 

I think it’s far more likely we’ll lose Webber than Pukki myself.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I would think it’s far more likely Oliveira ends up at Galatasaray than Pukki, would probably be the better fit for them too. Infact I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that’s what ultimately happens in January."

Good spot. We can but hope.

£2-3m?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Is Huckerby a fantasist then, or someone who recognised a good club when he saw one?  Maybe Teemu still feels he has something to give at a higher level of football, but given his actions in coming to Norwich, money will not be the major factor. 

Did Hux take a 75% wage drop when he came here? Not sure about that. I agree money isn't the sole consideration, but it has to be a pretty big factor for any normal footballer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

"I would think it’s far more likely Oliveira ends up at Galatasaray than Pukki, would probably be the better fit for them too. Infact I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that’s what ultimately happens in January."

Good spot. We can but hope.

£2-3m?

Who knows, Broadstairs - I think technically really he’s worth far more than that, but because his stock has fallen of late then I would guess you are there or thereabouts. Oliveira certainly has the pedigree and talent for a club such as Galatasaray - and I just think he’d slot in really well out there, offering warm weather and a little bit of European football, with the chance to force himself back into the Portuguese national side - I think they’d be an excellent fit. 

I think the original journalist has crossed wires, I have a gut feeling it’s infact Nelson they’re looking at on the cheap, not Pukki...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets be blunt here- all we know about Pukki comes from what we see on the pitch and carefully stage managed interviews. We have absolutely no idea what motivates him personally, whether he is the type to leave for a bigger contract or even if he's harbored a secret desire to play in Istanbul his entire career. The idea any of us have any great insight into this is nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Teemu cared not about money but about being happy playing football and a nice place to live etc why would he leave Brondby? And why would he purposely run his contract down, meaning the club got nothing for him? The simple answer is probably money, as the Championship pays more than the Danish League and Pukki would pocket more in the deal than if someone needed to pay a fee for him. I'm sure the allure of English football was a pull, but ultimately, the allure of English football is largely money.

Pukki's current contract is probably the largest he's ever had and he won't have made huge sums of money, like a player such as Huckerby, so far in his career - a move to somewhere like Gala would be a life changing amount of money - for Hucks a move from Norwich somewhere else would have only been a relatively small increase in wages and certainly wouldn't have changed his life.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I remember Huckerby saying that he stayed because he'd 'already made his money'.

That's true. He must have been a millionnaire when he arrived here so he was looking for a home rather than club.

Pukki isn't in that fortunate position.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If Teemu cared not about money but about being happy playing football and a nice place to live etc why would he leave Brondby?

Or move back to Finland. Or look for a nice club in Italy. The options are endless...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If Teemu cared not about money but about being happy playing football and a nice place to live etc why would he leave Brondby? And why would he purposely run his contract down, meaning the club got nothing for him? The simple answer is probably money, as the Championship pays more than the Danish League and Pukki would pocket more in the deal than if someone needed to pay a fee for him. I'm sure the allure of English football was a pull, but ultimately, the allure of English football is largely money.

Pukki's current contract is probably the largest he's ever had and he won't have made huge sums of money, like a player such as Huckerby, so far in his career - a move to somewhere like Gala would be a life changing amount of money - for Hucks a move from Norwich somewhere else would have only been a relatively small increase in wages and certainly wouldn't have changed his life.

 

Maybe he had aspirations of playing in the English leagues, as many foreign footballers do from an early age, and has a desire to spend the prime years of his career in England? You have had a habit throughout this thread of making Teemu sound, in quite a factual way, like he’s a mercenary ready to jump ship as soon as the next big contract comes along, even just months after the latest move. It’s plainly ridiculous to say he would ‘definitely’ go to Galatasaray if the contract was offered, you have no better idea what motivates this particular individual any more than the rest of us on here. I would keep an open mind, but GUESS that he won’t be off anytime in the immediate future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Who knows, Broadstairs - I think technically really he’s worth far more than that, but because his stock has fallen of late then I would guess you are there or thereabouts. Oliveira certainly has the pedigree and talent for a club such as Galatasaray - and I just think he’d slot in really well out there, offering warm weather and a little bit of European football, with the chance to force himself back into the Portuguese national side - I think they’d be an excellent fit. 

I think the original journalist has crossed wires, I have a gut feeling it’s infact Nelson they’re looking at on the cheap, not Pukki...

Wishful thinking... why would they then send a scout to watch a player who hasn't been in a first-team squad all season? However, if they do come sniffing for Pukki, we can tell them "sorry fellas, Pukki is priced at £10m, but you can have a younger Portuguese international for £2.5m"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Have a feeling that our two Portuguese players might well have already found new homes.

Haven't seen it confirmed anywhere, but I don't believe Ivo or Nelson have gone to Tampa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×