Sign in to follow this  
unique

Fly in Sky's Ointment

Norwich City's meteoric rise to the top of the Championship has undoubtedly caught every Norwich Fan by surprise, but it's comforting to know that Sky TV are hell-bent on  keeping Norwich well under the radar.

Following on from, and including, the titan clash between WBA and Leeds, five out of six consecutive matches involving WBA will be shown live on Sky TV ( the sixth can always be watched on the red button).

Sky's darlings, Leeds United, a club universally despised by most other supporters, and possibly only of interest to the Yorkshire area, (including the WBA game), will have nine of their following fourteen games shown live.

Even the doyennes of entertainment, Sheffield United, will be shown five times before the second week of January. Aston Villa four.

The Championship leaders, currently the fly in Sky's ointment, will have a single match shown live, at Bristol City, on Saturday 15th December.

Sky must be cacking themselves at the prospect of Norwich City maintaining their entertaining challenge at the top of the division.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, unique said:

Norwich City's meteoric rise to the top of the Championship has undoubtedly caught every Norwich Fan by surprise, but it's comforting to know that Sky TV are hell-bent on  keeping Norwich well under the radar.

Following on from, and including, the titan clash between WBA and Leeds, five out of six consecutive matches involving WBA will be shown live on Sky TV ( the sixth can always be watched on the red button).

Sky's darlings, Leeds United, a club universally despised by most other supporters, and possibly only of interest to the Yorkshire area, (including the WBA game), will have nine of their following fourteen games shown live.

Even the doyennes of entertainment, Sheffield United, will be shown five times before the second week of January. Aston Villa four.

The Championship leaders, currently the fly in Sky's ointment, will have a single match shown live, at Bristol City, on Saturday 15th December.

Sky must be cacking themselves at the prospect of Norwich City maintaining their entertaining challenge at the top of the division.

Yeah Sky quite clearly hate us. It totally couldn't be anything to do with games featuring Leeds and Aston Villa drawing bigger ratings than anyone else.

Sky are a business- if they thought showing us more would increase viewing figures and therefore revenue, we'd be on more.

44 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah Sky quite clearly hate us. It totally couldn't be anything to do with games featuring Leeds and Aston Villa drawing bigger ratings than anyone else.

Sky are a business- if they thought showing us more would increase viewing figures and therefore revenue, we'd be on more.

agreed but Bristol City away is hardly going to increase their viewing figures

i would rather not be on live anyway,  we are doing just fine as it is

The share of TV money also depends on the number of times a team is featured besides the amount that they all receive 

I think that the writing was on the wall when Sky denied live coverage of the last derby game.

They do seem more aware of audience size when selecting games these days and Norwich games might not be viewed among the top draws.

However, teams at the top of the league draw interest surely from supporters of their closest rivals in the race as well (ditto those in a relegation battle) so if we keep our current form up then the floodgates will probably open towards the end of the season.  

Us exiles can feel a bit miffed however because the naughty ones in our ranks can have worked out by now that any game televised live by any broadcaster, not just Sky, will be up on Vipbox these days ((hence Reading v Ipswich on Saturday which was transmitted by ESPN.) That's another matter altogether though.

Its all about money. A lot more people in the Midlands will watch West Brom/Villa compared to the Canaries who are mainly confined to Norfolk.. i.e. adverts will be seen by a much bigger audience.

I'm assuming these numbers don't include the matches available on the red button? Would be interested to see how that fragments the viewing figures from the main match covered...

4 hours ago, king canary said:

To be fair,although leaving aside the imbalance of live coverage,SKY have given us prominent billing on their 'EFL Champs Goals' since we hit the top spots..........they might prefer to want their old favourites up there but.........do we really give a t*ss ? 

So with Sky being a business, are we safe to assume that as the season unfolds, if Norwich were to remain at the top of the division involved in multiple five-goal thrillers, whilst Leeds and WBA slide down the table, the criteria for live games will remain the same?

Part of the enjoyment that came with Norwich’s successful run in Europe back in the day was the widespread support from football fans in general. No doubt Leicester fans felt an extra sense of pride when they won the PL with the admiration of legions of fans from other clubs throughout the country.

Do fans not visit the forums of opposition teams to garner the views from other supporters either pre-match or after a game?

Norwich City once had a reputation for playing attractive, attacking football that earned them respect from many a neutral football supporter. If those days are possibly returning, then Norwich City deserve a wider audience.

I don't care that we are not on TV more, let us go about our business quietly is what I say. What I do care about is the biased towards the so called big boys Leeds, Villa, West Brom etc because as its been mentioned before, the more TV games the more money so surely it should be evened out so that every club gets a fair chunk of the money. For team like Rotherham, Bolton, Ipswich etc that TV is massive so it simply isn't fair that sky show all the big boys more.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, C.I.D said:

To be fair,although leaving aside the imbalance of live coverage,SKY have given us prominent billing on their 'EFL Champs Goals' since we hit the top spots..........they might prefer to want their old favourites up there but.........do we really give a t*ss ? 

This is because they show teams highlights in order of their position in the league.

That's true Bob - they even described it as their 'game of the day', but didn't have a commentary team there, just a voice over.  They'll always cover their live game from either the Friday night or Saturday lunchtime as they'll have better angles and coverage of the game.  To be fair Don Goodman gave us some credit - lots of praise for Pukki and Rhodes.  Leitner, Buendia and Hernandez seem to be overlooked in the coverage, which is fine by me, they are looking so good in this current run of form.

I'm also of the opinion that it's fine to show the other contenders. Leeds, Villa, Stoke and West Brom are all arguably bigger, better supported clubs than us and will probably get better TV audiences for their games. Derby is the one that grates a bit - sorry, 'Frank Lampard's Derby...'.

If we continue to challenge at the top of the league, I'm sure we'll all be complaining about Saturday 5.30pm kick offs or Friday night ones in March and April.

• Like 1