kick it off

NFL Thread

Is there any team in the AFC apart from the Pats?

49ers running riot. Running game is so good at the moment and Bosa continues to destroy the opposition QB's.

And still Jimmy isn't particularly brilliant but it is just gathering momentum and they have a few home games in hand.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Is there any team in the AFC apart from the Pats?

49ers running riot. Running game is so good at the moment and Bosa continues to destroy the opposition QB's.

And still Jimmy isn't particularly brilliant but it is just gathering momentum and they have a few home games in hand.

It is ridiculous how out of whack the NFC and AFC are and have been for the last few years. This season you could see the 9ers, Saints, Packers and even the Vikings getting to the Superbowl yet I don't have any faith in anyone from the AFC giving the Pats a challenge.

.... let's see how the Ravens do against the Patriots on Sunday night.

Pretty well apparently 🙂 

(Even broken clocks are right twice a day) 

Edited by Surfer

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

I generally agree about the AFC but let's see how the Ravens ( the only team to have ever beaten the 49ers in a Super Bowl ) do against the Patriots on Sunday night.

Was that under current Redskins interim head coach Bill Callahan?

It was the Harbaugh-bowl - Jim head coach for the 49ers and John head coach for the Ravens.

I don't think Callahan was ever a coach for the Ravens, he was once a head coach for the Raiders and now the Redskins.  

23 minutes ago, Surfer said:

It was the Harbaugh-bowl - Jim head coach for the 49ers and John head coach for the Ravens.

I don't think Callahan was ever a coach for the Ravens, he was once a head coach for the Raiders and now the Redskins.  

I was mixing up Raiders and 49ers, thanks for clarifying

The 49'ers are now 8-0 and Jimmy G is definitely back in form. Arizona played surprisingly well and broke out some big plays against a banged up 'Niners team. The real test will come against Seattle. 

The 49'ers are now 8-0 and Jimmy G is definitely back in form. Arizona played surprisingly well and broke out some big plays against a banged up 'Niners team. The real test will come against Seattle. 

The quote that says Jimmy is a game manager not a game winner got three and out last night. In a post at the start of the season, I thought if Jimmy could throw for 4K they could make the playoffs. Well, he hasn't made half that yet, but has controlled the running game so well that he won't need to reach that total.
The Seahawks game will be exciting but not crucial. And the Seahawks have had to bring back an old Tight End whereas Kittle is looking really classy in the position for the 49ers. And with Gould, no-one can give let the 49ers near their 30-40 yard line.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

The quote that says Jimmy is a game manager not a game winner got three and out last night. In a post at the start of the season, I thought if Jimmy could throw for 4K they could make the playoffs. Well, he hasn't made half that yet, but has controlled the running game so well that he won't need to reach that total.
The Seahawks game will be exciting but not crucial. And the Seahawks have had to bring back an old Tight End whereas Kittle is looking really classy in the position for the 49ers. And with Gould, no-one can give let the 49ers near their 30-40 yard line.

Kittle is the best tight end in the game right now. It is weird how this position seems to be one where you can get real quality deeper in the draft. Kittle was got in the 5th, Kelce in the 3rd, Ertz, Henry and Gronk the 2nd.

Kittle is the best tight end in the game right now. It is weird how this position seems to be one where you can get real quality deeper in the draft. Kittle was got in the 5th, Kelce in the 3rd, Ertz, Henry and Gronk the 2nd.

I have always liked watching tight ends and as a 49er from the start, Brent Jones (only with the niners  because the Steelers didn't want him) was a favourite, although he wasn't a tight end but was built like one, I loved Dwight Clark as well.

Can't believe this pretty average Eagles team is probably going to go 10-6. So many bad teams in the league this year.

Odds on Adam Gase lasting the season at the Jets?

Can't believe this pretty average Eagles team is probably going to go 10-6. So many bad teams in the league this year.

I watched the Red Zone last night and was appalled by some of the awful play by some QB's. The conditions are still good and I didn't hear excuses made about wind etc so I just couldn't believe some of the decision making. Rodgers didn't start well and didn't improve much.
And are the Bills looking for a wild card or even a division title? 
And can someone explain why the Jets opted for a field goal on 4th down when they just knew there was no way back?
Mike McCarthy is apparently talking to people, preparing a coaching staff for next season. He will no doubt be on several owner's radar. Many say it was Rodgers not McCarthy's fault at Green Bay. Whether he would fancy the Jets is arguable. They have a surrogate owner at the moment so it really is a coin toss.

Jets are a train wreck and  (in living memory for most fans) always have been. The poisoned chalice of being New York City’s second team. 

MIck would be better served going to Dallas. 

On 28/10/2019 at 12:17, Surfer said:

.... let's see how the Ravens do against the Patriots on Sunday night.

Pretty well apparently 🙂 

Agh -

edited my earlier post rather than quoted it. 

I have a good feeling about the Ravens, a much better QB now than Flacco, now for my other SB pick - the Saints with Drew Brees back - that said they’ll probably get thrashed in their next game now!

Edited by Surfer

7 hours ago, king canary said:

They threw up a stat in the Jets game last night - I watched the end of it after Skins got beat again (Up to #2 in the Tankathon).

Adam Gase record as a HC.

Wins: 24

Losses by double digits: 25

Ouch!

Was at Wembley this Sunday for the Jags v Texans, great fourth quarter, my fifth game at Wembley, definitely be back again, great atmosphere and with the Box Nation was brilliant pre and post game area to go to.

3 hours ago, Indy said:

Was at Wembley this Sunday for the Jags v Texans, great fourth quarter, my fifth game at Wembley, definitely be back again, great atmosphere and with the Box Nation was brilliant pre and post game area to go to.

I've only been down once for the Redskins game in 2016. Definitely intend to go back but just want a team I'm remotely interested in to come to town.

5 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I've only been down once for the Redskins game in 2016. Definitely intend to go back but just want a team I'm remotely interested in to come to town.

I was there they drew with the bengals, funny enough I was talking to four bengals fans who flew over and were well miffed to have drawn that game! Still got my free bengals flag.

Being a Dolphins fan its pretty depressing time, but I have adopted the Texans this season as my second team as I work with colleagues in Houston.

Edited by Indy

11 hours ago, kick it off said:

I've gone to one or two most seasons in the last few years but this year's slate of games was pretty uninspiring.

Rumor here is LA Chargers to London. 😞 their owner Kurt Spanos (sp?) is throwing F-bomb expletives around over that rumour - spoiled brat. 

He had a city in San Diego that loved his team, and he threw it all away to get richer in LA. He said they were coming home, but nobody wants them back, they left 40 years ago. Can’t sell out a 26,000 Brentford style stadium to their own fans....it’s become an away game every home game.  

So the team everyone wants back in LA - the Raiders - are going to Las Vegas to become the NFL version of the Haarlem Globtrotters and the Chargers are going to become the West Coast version of the Jets - squatters  in their local rival’s stadium on a low rent deal. Just pathetic. 

Edited by Surfer

It is a shame that the are no new franchises around the corner so any London outfit will have to move from the US. I wonder how long that will be. It certainly doesn't come cheap and it is estimated up to £750M. That is a lot more than a football club. But the franchise wouldn't own a ground so it might be cheaper to rent Tottenham's ground. And there may well be NFL rules regarding rents etc.

They need anything that lets a 3rd wild card back into play. A london based team is a big mistake and simply a short term money grab

19 hours ago, Surfer said:

Rumor here is LA Chargers to London. 😞 their owner Kurt Spanos (sp?) is throwing F-bomb expletives around over that rumour - spoiled brat. 

He had a city in San Diego that loved his team, and he threw it all away to get richer in LA. He said they were coming home, but nobody wants them back, they left 40 years ago. Can’t sell out a 26,000 Brentford style stadium to their own fans....it’s become an away game every home game.  

So the team everyone wants back in LA - the Raiders - are going to Las Vegas to become the NFL version of the Haarlem Globtrotters and the Chargers are going to become the West Coast version of the Jets - squatters  in their local rival’s stadium on a low rent deal. Just pathetic. 

Such a shame what they've done to the Chargers. 

I wonder if Rivers is off this season too- his contract is up, he never wanted to move to LA and the team he randomly wants to play for- the Titans- will probably need a new QB.

Re Rivers, that could well be. 

I could see the NFL doing something incredibly stupid like sending the NY Jets to London. 😂The really missed their opportunity , they should have sent the Raiders there..but the bad blood between Al Davis and the other NFL owners continues even after his death.....

On 07/11/2019 at 17:47, Surfer said:

Re Rivers, that could well be. 

I could see the NFL doing something incredibly stupid like sending the NY Jets to London. 😂The really missed their opportunity , they should have sent the Raiders there..but the bad blood between Al Davis and the other NFL owners continues even after his death.....

Raiders wouldn't have been interested.

The Jags have always seemed the natural fit (seriously why is 10% of the NFL based in Florida?) but that talk has died down of late.

I'm sure the officials at NFL are keen to expand the game. We are the natural choice with the current support for the game.

Would that support continue? Say the London Royals finished bottom of their division for a while. Would there still be full houses.

An 8 game season and very little chance of an away game.

I am not sure if we will ever be totally behind a franchise.

Be careful what you wish for. London is like the pretty girl right now - everyone wants to date her....

Los Angeles was like that too, with no local team, we were able to get the pick of the NFL games on local TV, lots of Dallas, Green Bay, Steelers, Patriots - now that the Rams and the Chargers are in town, we only get to see their games, which is OK if they are any good (they have at least been OK), but imagine what it would be like if your team were the Browns, or the Jaguars or the Jets. Terrible teams and no brand identity to pull them through bad times - unlike say the Raiders who always bring fans because they are more than just a football team. 

Edited by Surfer