Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

NFL Thread

Recommended Posts

On 04/11/2019 at 06:49, Surfer said:

 have a good feeling about the Ravens, a much better QB now than Flacco, now for my other SB pick - the Saints with Drew Brees back - that said they’ll probably get thrashed in their next game now!

Well that went well 🙂 Ravens continue to look good. Saints did indeed lose to the previously 1-7 Atlanta 😞 

Edited by Surfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A great nerve wracking game tonight that saw the 49ers - without first choice kicker, tight end and receiver - take the Seahawks to overtime. A game dominated by defenses could have been won by the rookie SF kicker, but in the end the difference was the QBs. Russel Wilson showed why he is the leading candidate for MVP,  but as for Jimmy G - this game underlined that he is clearly not a top flight quarterback yet, unless the defense now carries the team on its back there will be no Super Bowl for this SF team this year. 

Edited by Surfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might be right Surfer. Jimmy has not really had to show this season with the running game being dominant. I just hope he can learn from this year and get better. And running teams usually win divisions now that the standard of QB's and WR is not what it was (or are defenses just that much better).

Whatever happens this season, I am delighted that the 49ers have returned to winning seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely. I am delighted too, but my daughter did look at me a couple of times with her "bad language dad" eyes when Wilson got out of sacks and found a receiver way downfield, not once or twice but time and again. The Seahawks came to shut down the Niner's running game and force Jimmy G to beat them and he couldn't. At least not this time. Hopefully he and this young team will learn, it was only his 19th start of his career and he's 16-3 now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep looking at the Hollister touchdown and can't make my mind up whether Wilson was just throwing into an area or believed it could be caught. It wasn't lucky because at the end of the day he caught it.

And to be fair to Wilson, in a game of turnovers, sacks missed kicks, his scramble in OT to set up the winner was athletic and showed great strength and determination.

I do love the enthusiasm on the Niners sideline though. Saleh especially.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has now been extended to indefinitely. He had time to calm down during the incident and reflect on what might happen if he kept going. But he didn't and he deserves everything he gets thrown at him. Was he that good to worry about for the Browns?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

shame when they don't keep to the script

but at ;east there some action whick must have come as a pleasant suprise as it is normally slightly less boring than watching the test card

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It has now been extended to indefinitely. He had time to calm down during the incident and reflect on what might happen if he kept going. But he didn't and he deserves everything he gets thrown at him. Was he that good to worry about for the Browns?

Absolutely - by far their best defensive player - he's a massive miss for them. Agree with what you say too - throw the book at him, Rudolph was lucky to escape any serious damage as it could have ended really badly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Garrett did was assault, and he should face a charge for that IMO, but Steeler’s QB Rudolph should be fined and suspended too. He started the sequence by trying to rip Garretts helmet off after he was cleanly sacked, and then after his two team mates intervened he went back in for some more aggro. 

His teammate who punched Garrett I think you have to give a pass to, at that point he’s defending his teammate from assault, the other one who kicks Garrett in the head when he’s on the ground, not the same scenario, has to be fined and should be suspended for that, and maybe even charged for assault too. 

Edited by Surfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Surfer said:

What Garrett did was assault, and he should face a charge for that IMO, but Steeler’s QB Rudolph should be fined and suspended too. He started the sequence by trying to rip Garretts helmet off after he was cleanly sacked, and then after his two team mates intervened he went back in for some more aggro. 

His teammate who punched Garrett I think you have to give a pass to, at that point he’s defending his teammate from assault, the other one who kicks Garrett in the head when he’s on the ground, not the same scenario, has to be fined and should be suspended for that, and maybe even charged for assault too. 

He wasn't cleanly sacked. Garrett wrestles him to the ground long after Rudolph has dumped the ball off, he's just trying to get a late shot in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, king canary said:

He wasn't cleanly sacked. Garrett wrestles him to the ground long after Rudolph has dumped the ball off, he's just trying to get a late shot in.

I agree, furthermore, he wasn't even sacked - the pass was completed and he was hit after the ball had gone. Happens all the time, no big deal. Garrett inexplicably decides rather than breaking the tackle when it was clear the ball had gone, he's going to have a prolonged wrestling match to drag Rudolph down. Not a sack, let alone a clean one - it's a fair hit initially but there is no need to follow through it when it's clear the ball has gone.

Rudolph's reaction isn't great, trying to rip Garrett's helmet off, and he will rightly be fined for that, but I would wager he wouldn't have then used Garrett's helmet to whack him round the head if he had successfully got it off.

Garrett was pissed at losing the game, took a totally unnecessary cheap shot with the wrestling on Rudolph in frustration and then lost his temper when Rudolph reacted to the cheap shot. Garrett crossed the line. End of story.

Think the NFL have taken appropriate and proportionate action tbf. Garrett suspended indefinitely, Rudolph fined. Pouncey suspended 3 games for the kicks on Garrett and Ogunjobi given one game for barging Rudolph over from behind after he'd been hit with the helmet. Rare that I agree with the NFL disciplinary committee but think they did a good job with this situation.

Edited by kick it off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Garrett was not pissed at losing the game, the Browns were winning - and handily. Rudolph the QB had a poor game, several interceptions and sacks, so I can understand he was frustrated and while I do not in any way condone Garrett’s actions nor do I condone ignoring Rudolph’s part in it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Surfer said:

Garrett was not pissed at losing the game, the Browns were winning - and handily. Rudolph the QB had a poor game, several interceptions and sacks, so I can understand he was frustrated and while I do not in any way condone Garrett’s actions nor do I condone ignoring Rudolph’s part in it. 

No one's ignoring it, just not agreeing with your view of it being a clean sack. Garrett started it, Rudolph reacted poorly, Garrett then lost his mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to bed at halftime of the Eagles Pats game expecting a close result. I didn't expect to wake up and see we didn't score a point in the second half. Awful performance by the Eagles offence.

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I went to bed at halftime of the Eagles Pats game expecting a close result. I didn't expect to wake up and see we didn't score a point in the second half. Awful performance by the Eagles offence.

You lost to Brady and the Pats by one score and are complaining about not scoring a point in a half against one of the best defenses in the NFL (1st in YPG, 1st in PPG). You scored 10 points against a team that concedes an average of 10.8 per game and have lost one game all season.

Try being a Redskins fan. 😐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, king canary said:

I see you laughing KIO- at least we didn't get blown out by the Jets 😉

I was laughing at the irony of complaining about losing by one score to the superbowl champions when we let Sam Darnold throw 4 touchdowns on us.

On the plus side, Guice came back and looked good and we ended our SEVENTEEN QUARTERS WITHOUT A TOUCHDOWN streak. You want to complain about scoring 10 on the best Defense in the league, try not scoring anything at all except FGs against some of the worst for 4 weeks running!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kick it off said:

I was laughing at the irony of complaining about losing by one score to the superbowl champions when we let Sam Darnold throw 4 touchdowns on us.

On the plus side, Guice came back and looked good and we ended our SEVENTEEN QUARTERS WITHOUT A TOUCHDOWN streak. You want to complain about scoring 10 on the best Defense in the league, try not scoring anything at all except FGs against some of the worst for 4 weeks running!

I do genuinely feel for Washington fans- it is one thing supporting a team who currently sucks but under the current management/ownership there doesn't seem great hope for the future either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, king canary said:

I do genuinely feel for Washington fans- it is one thing supporting a team who currently sucks but under the current management/ownership there doesn't seem great hope for the future either.

It's pretty grim at the moment. The great white hope is that we go 1-15 and it's finally enough to get Bruce Allen kicked to the curb. Until that useless **** is gone, there is no light at the end of the tunnel for the Skins.

It's just dumbass move after dumbass move. Kirk Cousins walked for nothing - I don't actually think he's that good regardless of his current hot streak (6-28 against teams .500 or better should explain why) and wouldn't want him as our long term QB - but he was a hot commodity in the league and Bruce managed to screw that up so we got sweet FA for it - easily could have got a first plus more for him and we got nothing.... You guys got a first for Sam freaking Bradford!!! He's now screwed the Trent Williams situation up inexplicably so now instead of getting a 1st and change for him, we'll end up with a solitary 2nd or similar. I don't profess to be an exceptionally wise football fan, but I could honestly do a better job of being Redskins GM than Bruce does. He's embarrassingly bad.

Conversely the Eagles Front Office is outstanding at the moment. Top 4 or 5 in the league for me. Unfortunately. Which is why you're complaining about a one score loss to the Pats and I'm completely relaxed about getting blown out by the largely pathetic jets. We got two redzone turnovers yesterday and walked away with 3 points. How's your offense not scoring for a half looking now? 😉

I don't hate Snyder though, like a lot of fans do. He's made a lot of dumb moves in hiring the wrong guys, but ultimately, he's just a fan. Everytime he's been asked to pony up, he puts his hand in his pocket. He's not particularly smart for a billionaire - he just got lucky in the tech bubble - right place, right time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kick it off said:

Conversely the Eagles Front Office is outstanding at the moment. Top 4 or 5 in the league for me. Unfortunately. Which is why you're complaining about a one score loss to the Pats and I'm completely relaxed about getting blown out by the largely pathetic jets. We got two redzone turnovers yesterday and walked away with 3 points. How's your offense not scoring for a half looking now? 😉

It is interesting because our front office is actually coming in for a bit of stick based on some of our roster building issues- like the fact our only speed on offence comes from DeSean Jackson and our questionable draft record over the last few seasons.

We're in need of a good draft this summer as our roster is old and needs fresh blood in multiple positions. We're not Skins level bad but the shine has come off Howie a touch this season.

This season has been a frustrating one as we went in with a roster I thought was one of the strongest in the league and now sit 5-5, playing some quite dull football. We can still easily sneak the playoffs though as we have the Dolphins, Skins and Giants (x2) left on our schedule. If we win those and then beat the Cowboys we'll finish 10-6 and have a decent shot at winning the NFC East.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

49ers with only 10 games gone have a season high number of penalties. I'm not sure whether that is penalties or yardage and whether it is mainly defense or offense.

To have that and still be 9-1 in what is probably the toughest conference is quite remarkable. Still no Gould or Kittle and Cardinals stopped the run but Jimmy threw better, still two crucial interceptions and Coleman and Samuel received well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

49ers with only 10 games gone have a season high number of penalties. I'm not sure whether that is penalties or yardage and whether it is mainly defense or offense.

To have that and still be 9-1 in what is probably the toughest conference is quite remarkable. Still no Gould or Kittle and Cardinals stopped the run but Jimmy threw better, still two crucial interceptions and Coleman and Samuel received well.

I started Jimmy and Debo in my fantasy league so pretty happy with those performances. 

Chiefs managing to tick along without Hill last night- Chargers are done this season now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Urgh, I hate this season. Eagles offence should be grovelling to our defence for wasting their efforts the last two weeks. Saying that I'm convinced we can still make the playoffs as the NFC East is a tire fire this season.

Amazing win for the 49'ers, proper legitimate SB contenders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/11/2019 at 11:49, kick it off said:

It's pretty grim at the moment. The great white hope is that we go 1-15 and it's finally enough to get Bruce Allen kicked to the curb. Until that useless **** is gone, there is no light at the end of the tunnel for the Skins.

It's just dumbass move after dumbass move. Kirk Cousins walked for nothing - I don't actually think he's that good regardless of his current hot streak (6-28 against teams .500 or better should explain why) and wouldn't want him as our long term QB - but he was a hot commodity in the league and Bruce managed to screw that up so we got sweet FA for it - easily could have got a first plus more for him and we got nothing.... You guys got a first for Sam freaking Bradford!!! He's now screwed the Trent Williams situation up inexplicably so now instead of getting a 1st and change for him, we'll end up with a solitary 2nd or similar. I don't profess to be an exceptionally wise football fan, but I could honestly do a better job of being Redskins GM than Bruce does. He's embarrassingly bad.

Conversely the Eagles Front Office is outstanding at the moment. Top 4 or 5 in the league for me. Unfortunately. Which is why you're complaining about a one score loss to the Pats and I'm completely relaxed about getting blown out by the largely pathetic jets. We got two redzone turnovers yesterday and walked away with 3 points. How's your offense not scoring for a half looking now? 😉

I don't hate Snyder though, like a lot of fans do. He's made a lot of dumb moves in hiring the wrong guys, but ultimately, he's just a fan. Everytime he's been asked to pony up, he puts his hand in his pocket. He's not particularly smart for a billionaire - he just got lucky in the tech bubble - right place, right time.

There has been some vicious stuff in the Washington Post, with Bruce Allen the main target. One recent piece asked rhetorically:

'So why tolerate, let alone support, an atrociously run and constantly embarrassing franchise with a moral compass that is as twisted as a corkscrew?'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing win for the 49'ers, proper legitimate SB contenders. 

Great to have Kittle back and another good day for the rookies Bosa and Samuels.

Heck of a good performance from both defences at times and the scoreline doesn't reflect how good they were. 

Can't get away from the Seahawks though. What a division this one is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah you have to admit the Niners are back, and Jimmy G had a very good game last night. But it all starts with the secondary for me, they gave the front four just enough time to disrupt Aaron Rodgers who has been consistently the leagues best performing QB along with Tom Brady. 

Amazing just how many fouls the refs gave against the Niners defense last night. at one stage it seemed every throw drew a foul, but they still held Rogers and his crew to 8 points? 

Still to come road trip to Ravens and Saints and a season finale at Seahawks. Is there a Super Bowl winner in these four teams? Or will it be New England for one last Tom Brady hurrah? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Still to come road trip to Ravens and Saints and a season finale at Seahawks. Is there a Super Bowl winner in these four teams? Or will it be New England for one last Tom Brady hurrah? 

Based on the last two games I think NE is beatable. The Eagles would have done it if we'd had a passable wide receiving group and Brady finally look like time has caught up with him a bit.  I do wonder if NE v SF would end up being something like 13-7 though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×