kick it off

NFL Thread

Great day of football so far. Washington kept it close and lost in OT. Haskins balled out again before going down injured but doesn’t seem serious. Miami nearly blew the 20+ pt 4th quarter lead but then won in Overtime. Redskins now guaranteed #2 overall pick if we lose to Dallas next week. Hoping for an Eagles win now, to make sure Dallas plays their starters against us and we don’t pick up a damaging junk win against their scrub 3rd stringers. Lions win would also be nice.

Edited by kick it off

Arizona beating the Seahawks was a surprise, but it doesn’t really change anything for the 49’ers - if we win next week in Seattle, we win the division and #1 seed for playoffs as we won both head to head games against the Packers and Saints. 

Lose though, and we drop to #5 and off to Dallas or Philly as highest ranked wild card. If Philly loses v Giants and Dallas win v Redskins then we play at Dallas - that’s my prediction. 

The NFL must be very happy to have at least two division titles up for grabs on the final weekend of the season. 

Edited by Surfer

Very impressed with Murray last night. Good scrambling from the scrimmage and aware of where his receivers were.

There seemed to be a period when you had to be a Brady/Rogers stay in the pocket QB but we are seeing, especially among Black QB's, a different take on what the options are. It makes linebackers especially be aware they can't just drop off and wait for interceptions.

12 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Very impressed with Murray last night. Good scrambling from the scrimmage and aware of where his receivers were.

There seemed to be a period when you had to be a Brady/Rogers stay in the pocket QB but we are seeing, especially among Black QB's, a different take on what the options are. It makes linebackers especially be aware they can't just drop off and wait for interceptions.

Not totally sure what their skin colour has to do with it.

12 hours ago, kick it off said:

Great day of football so far. Washington kept it close and lost in OT. Haskins balled out again before going down injured but doesn’t seem serious. Miami nearly blew the 20+ pt 4th quarter lead but then won in Overtime. Redskins now guaranteed #2 overall pick if we lose to Dallas next week. Hoping for an Eagles win now, to make sure Dallas plays their starters against us and we don’t pick up a damaging junk win against their scrub 3rd stringers. Lions win would also be nice.

Well you got your wish, although based on last night I wouldn't doubt your lot could beat the Cowboys starters.

Still can't quite believe we're now favourites to make the play-offs after everything this season. Even if we don't though it has been hugely encouraging to watch Wentz ball out so much to close out the season. While he's had shakey spells this season I don't see many QB's playing the way he has down all your starting receivers, your started right tackle and two of your top three running backs.

When I started watching NFL in 1984, there were no Black QB's. The first I remember was Randall Cunningham. There were no black head coaches either.

Now the US has got away from its All American Boy at QB. And grumpy old man at head Coach.

Yeah there is something to the racial makeup of QB’s that is hard to ignore, although IMO it is changing; what it comes down to is good old residual racism at high schools, blacks are running backs and receivers, whites are QB’s. 

So you don’t see many “pocket passing” black QB’s, they tend to come through the system as option based running QB’s, and as the collage game has trended that way the number of black QB’s has increased. 

So we have seen a very few  pocket passing QB’s like Williams (Redskins), Moon (Oilers) but the trend is to dual threat QBs like Cunningham (Eagles), Vick (Atlanta) Newton (Panthers) , Young (Titans), Kaepernick (Niners), Wilson (Seahawks), Watson (Texans), Mahones (Chiefs), Jackson (Ravens), Murray (Cardinals) 

We’ll know if there is still a racial bias or not when the college trend switches back to pocket passing and we have a black QB as a Heismann Trophy winner - like a black QB from Alabama.

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

When I started watching NFL in 1984, there were no Black QB's. The first I remember was Randall Cunningham. There were no black head coaches either.

Now the US has got away from its All American Boy at QB. And grumpy old man at head Coach.

About the same time as Cunningham was the legendary Doug Williams. One of the reasons I started supporting the Skins - they won the Superbowl in the year I was born (1987) and Williams was the QB - first black QB to win a Lombardi (annhilating Elway and the Broncos in the SB). Only black QB to win Superbowl MVP to this day.

9 minutes ago, Surfer said:

So we have seen a very few  pocket passing QB’s like Williams (Redskins), Moon (Oilers) 

McNabb was also in this mould

That is true, sorry I forgot about him. Not in Williams or Moon's class in my opinion, but still very good. 

16 minutes ago, Surfer said:

That is true, sorry I forgot about him. Not in Williams or Moon's class in my opinion, but still very good. 

Absolutely not in their class, but he was very good for the Eagles for a decade.

image.png.15c29cb06cb0518719ef097ade7f2b93.png

Abysmal for the Skins, but that's par for the course (for reference see Haynesworth, A., Norman, J. or a litany of others who come to Washington as all-pros before falling off a career cliff)

Edited by kick it off

Dolphins beat the Patriots! Into the 3rd Seed. Good job Flipper!

Edited by KiwiScot

Congratulations KC, great to see the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs again. Here’s hoping you host the Seahawks rather than the Niners.

In Spetember, if anyone had said the Niners would be NFC top seed I would have laughed out loud. I was hoping for 8-8 at best. And even now I cannot for the life of me see how we did it as we are so inconsistent. Yesterday was a prime example. 1 sack the whole game but good offense. A rookie WR has more yards than the Seahawks in the first half.

Record penalties against. Gould not consistent. Jimmy not consistent. But two or three standouts have given us home advantage and a chance for revenge against the Ravens in a SB.

It’s going to be.an unusually competitive NFC playoffs this year, Niners defense could be the determining factor as there are three great QBs at Green Bay, New Orleans and Seattle. Wentz is very good, Garoppolo is a bit better but those three are true game changers. 

Still Saints v Ravens for me in the Super Bowl. 

On 30/12/2019 at 14:55, Surfer said:

Still Saints v Ravens for me in the Super Bowl. 

That's my thoughts as well. 

Really looking forward to the playoffs. I'll be rooting for the Packers but hoping to see 49ers do well too. Hoping that Riverboat Ron will be able to have the Skins competing in them sooner rather than later.

He's signed a 5 year deal to be the next head coach and it looks like Jack Del Rio is on board to become his DC. That's an incredible combo for a talented but desperately underperforming defense. Add Chase Young and Reuben Foster (back from injury) into the mix and that genuinely could be one of the league's top defenses next season. 

Bruce Allen finally out the damn building and we can see some light at the end of a very long tunnel.  This new era is looking pretty bright though.

RonSkins_logo.jpg.f8aa405db4c86c2584e178

Edited by kick it off

I loved the statement from the Browns players who said they will "rally round" the new head coach. No siht!

Only trouble with Rivera, KIO, is that he is one good season, one bad. He doesn't seem to be able to create anything approaching a five year dynasty.

17 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I loved the statement from the Browns players who said they will "rally round" the new head coach. No siht!

Only trouble with Rivera, KIO, is that he is one good season, one bad. He doesn't seem to be able to create anything approaching a five year dynasty.

I think objectively, he's been quite successful. He took a 2-14 Panthers team and had to complete an entire rebuild. He did that, took them to the SB once Cam had developed a bit, had a standard superbowl loser hangover year and then Cam has been injured for last 18 months - Hard to win without a QB. I get what you're saying but I think that he probably deserves a pass on a couple of the down years due to circumstances. Not saying in any way this is likely to be similar - but Belichick had a record of 36-44 in Cleveland before the Pats gave him a second shot. The point being that different circumstances can produce different results and sometimes it's easy to get hung up on what a guy has done, not what he can do.

I think he's exactly what we need at the moment. The culture at Redskins Park has been soft as **** for 10 years. The franchise needs someone to come in and stamp their authority - Rivera won't take any ****, and if the rumours of Jack Del Rio are true then he won't either. Players absolutely love Rivera, and he's bringing a bit of class and respectability with him which has sorely been lacking from the dysfunction in DC over the last 20 years.

We've got some incredible pieces in place - the Defense has enough talent to comfortably be top 10 - Manusky was probably the worst DC in the entire league and Rivera/Del Rio are both proven defensive gurus. Terry McLaurin is an elite receiver in the making, Haskins was lights out towards the end of the season, if he continues to develop and we add Chase Young, Reuben Foster (who was injured all this season) and a decent TE, and a CB that's not a total scrub like Josh Norman, then I think you'll see us improving pretty rapidly.

I think worst case scenario is he restores us back to at least being a respectable franchise again. Either way, it can't be any worse than what we've been fed for the last decade.

Edited by kick it off

I think worst case scenario is he restores us back to at least being a respectable franchise again. Either way, it can't be any worse than what we've been fed for the last decade.

Maybe you should have given in to Cousins. How much did he want? The Vikings seem to have made him happy.

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Maybe you should have given in to Cousins. How much did he want? The Vikings seem to have made him happy.

Not at all. Cousins was a complete ****. Had no intention of signing long term here, but sat there milking the franchise tag and padding his stats in garbage time to make him look better than he is. Choked in every big game we had. Lost a win and in game against the Giants 3rd string in Week 17 one year. He's Tony Romo 2.0 - never going to win a SB.

He even at one point told us he wasn't signing a long term deal but was going to play on the franchise tag because "God had told him to" - WTF?

He wanted 28mill fully guaranteed. He got it from the Vikings. With much better weapons than he had at the Skins and he still can't do anything meaningful with them either. 

He's great against teams that aren't good but his record against teams that are .500 or better?  7-30. That's the key stat. He's just not as good as his hype.

I never wanted Cousins although the Redskins fanbase is split on it.

Just looking at some stats and Gase at the Jets did an admirable job after mid season, in fact, play off form. That AFC East ended up a strong one and the Jets were as good as the Colts, Raiders and Broncos.

Baffled as to what the Cowboys are doing with Garrett- surely it is a simple decision to get rid considering they went 8-8 in a bad division with one of the most talented rosters in the league?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, king canary said:

Baffled as to what the Cowboys are doing with Garrett- surely it is a simple decision to get rid considering they went 8-8 in a bad division with one of the most talented rosters in the league?

I hope they keep him. Doing a great job

Just now, kick it off said:

I hope they keep him. Doing a great job

Me too.

If he, Shurmer and Bruce Allen all go in one week it'll be a real shame for the Eagles.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, kick it off said:

Not at all. Cousins was a complete ****. Had no intention of signing long term here, but sat there milking the franchise tag and padding his stats in garbage time to make him look better than he is. Choked in every big game we had. Lost a win and in game against the Giants 3rd string in Week 17 one year. He's Tony Romo 2.0 - never going to win a SB.

He even at one point told us he wasn't signing a long term deal but was going to play on the franchise tag because "God had told him to" - WTF?

He wanted 28mill fully guaranteed. He got it from the Vikings. With much better weapons than he had at the Skins and he still can't do anything meaningful with them either. 

He's great against teams that aren't good but his record against teams that are .500 or better?  7-30. That's the key stat. He's just not as good as his hype.

I never wanted Cousins although the Redskins fanbase is split on it.

To true. Never could work out why the pundits always raves about him - his tenacity, his toughness, his accuracy they said. All I could see was an average performing QB that fooled the Vikings into making their second worst acquisition in franchise history - the worst being Herschel Walker from the Cowboys, but that was mainly bad because of what they gave Dallas in return, he was a very good player. 

• Like 1

Cousins is a good QB having a very good season with Minnesota.

Nearly 70% completion (4th in the league), 26-6 TD to Int ratio, 8.1 yards per attempt (7th highest in the league.

There is a narrative around him but he's easily a top 12 QB in this league which is enough to do well.