kick it off

NFL Thread

Happy NFL Christmas guys!

Really looking forward to tonight - last year our pick was super clear before the draft and Chase Young has been even better than advertised... but tonight, no idea who we're putting on our card which has me super excited and intrigued.

With the lack of college football this year and the lack of pre-draft events, including the combine, I think things could get really interesting across the league.

Edited by kick it off

And rumor has it they were about to offer that #3 draft pick AND Jimmy G in exchange for Rodgers.... I know I would have too. 

5 hours ago, Surfer said:

And rumor has it they were about to offer that #3 draft pick AND Jimmy G in exchange for Rodgers.... I know I would have too. 

If I was Green Bay I'd have turned that down in a shot as well.

From an Eagles viewpoint I got slightly panicked when I saw both top corners come off the board 8 and 9- the idea was at 12 that one of Surtain, Horn, Waddle or Smith would likely be there but I'm glad we made the trade when we did. Surprised the Cowboys were willing to do it though.

3 hours ago, king canary said:

If I was Green Bay I'd have turned that down in a shot as well.

From an Eagles viewpoint I got slightly panicked when I saw both top corners come off the board 8 and 9- the idea was at 12 that one of Surtain, Horn, Waddle or Smith would likely be there but I'm glad we made the trade when we did. Surprised the Cowboys were willing to do it though.

Not surprised at all. He was going in division regardless so they might as well pick up the extra picks and still have him in the division anyway. Given the weapons in NY now (albeit with a poor QB), I can see why Dallas would rather let him go to Philly than NY.

Devonta is a fantastic player though, I definitely didn't want him landing in division unless it was us. He is  serious playmaker. Really nice pick for the Eagles 

I hate the Giants pick, Toney is going to bust hard imo. Fingers crossed I'm right on him!

Dallas pick is boom or bust too - Parsons is an incredibly gifted athlete but you only had to watch his interview after being picked to see why teams have huge red flags on him and many had taken him off their boards. He comes across as a really immature ****. Whether he busts or not entirely depends whether he can grow up fast or not. If he can, he will be dominant, if he stays immature he's never going to be great.

We took Jamin Davis and I'm cool with that. Jack Del Rio and Ron Rivera should absolutely have the trust when picking linebacker given their respective careers and he is super athletic, High character and fits our defense pretty neatly imo. Surprised JOK didn't go last night, but I guess he is too much of a positional tweener.

Filled the biggest need on the Defense last night, if we could grab Moehrig in the 2nd then I would be stoked. We are a Free Safety away from having a stellar defense.

Offense still has plenty of question marks though.

13 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Not surprised at all. He was going in division regardless so they might as well pick up the extra picks and still have him in the division anyway. Given the weapons in NY now (albeit with a poor QB), I can see why Dallas would rather let him go to Philly than NY.

Devonta is a fantastic player though, I definitely didn't want him landing in division unless it was us. He is  serious playmaker. Really nice pick for the Eagles 

I hate the Giants pick, Toney is going to bust hard imo. Fingers crossed I'm right on him!

Dallas pick is boom or bust too - Parsons is an incredibly gifted athlete but you only had to watch his interview after being picked to see why teams have huge red flags on him and many had taken him off their boards. He comes across as a really immature ****. Whether he busts or not entirely depends whether he can grow up fast or not. If he can, he will be dominant, if he stays immature he's never going to be great.

We took Jamin Davis and I'm cool with that. Jack Del Rio and Ron Rivera should absolutely have the trust when picking linebacker given their respective careers and he is super athletic, High character and fits our defense pretty neatly imo. Surprised JOK didn't go last night, but I guess he is too much of a positional tweener.

Filled the biggest need on the Defense last night, if we could grab Moehrig in the 2nd then I would be stoked. We are a Free Safety away from having a stellar defense.

Offense still has plenty of question marks though.

I'm hoping JOK drops to us, suddenly I'd be pretty excited about our linebackers with him and Eric Wilson coming in. Either that or take Asante Samuel Jr and try and trade up in the 3rd/bottom of the 2nd for Jabril Cox or Nick Bolton to address LB. Then we let Howie do what he's good at and pick up solid o line pieces in the later rounds.

Agree about Toney but slightly annoyed the giants added another 1st rounder just to go down 9 spots. Parsons is clearly a huge talent for Dallas but with LVE and Jaylon Smith they weren't exactly short in that position (although I know Smith wasn't as good last season). I think they were the victim of the sudden run on corners. 

Weirdest picks go to the Raiders (they love a reach!) and the Saints.

Man, I think you've missed the Packers out of the bat**** picks list, their shot was as bad as the Raiders.

Lot of good players left, we'd need to trade up if we want Moehrig. We have two 3rds so possible but we may well stick with what we have. Could do with help at LT, CB FS,  TE and WR so plenty of gaps to fill.

Edited by kick it off

I stayed up to watch the Dolphins picks and called both as I thought they’d per up Tui with Waddle again and defensive end Phillips is a beast. If Tui can start to fire and be consistent that’s a hell of team and division this year!

Love the Dickerson pick. If he can stay healthy, he'll be an excellent addition to the line. Would have gone in first if not for injury concerns. Eagles having a great draft so far. Annoyingly.

Do these rookies generally go straight into the starting line up? First draft I've had a look into and you see your team pick up players with lots of positive things said about them, but isn't everyone doing the same. I'm very curious how the bills are doing(edit:quick google and it seems they don't desperately need improvement in any area)

Edited by KiwiScot

2 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Do these rookies generally go straight into the starting line up? First draft I've had a look into and you see your team pick up players with lots of positive things said about them, but isn't everyone doing the same. I'm very curious how the bills are doing(edit:quick google and it seems they don't desperately need improvement in any area)

Depends on the player, team situation and also  position to an extent. Some positions you will find starters in later rounds than others.

First rounders at any position should usually be instant starters but some won't for various reasons. For instance sometimes teams will pick high value positions like QB with the intent on him not starting straight away. 2nd rounders you're looking for guys to step in straight away but maybe some of those will be in rotations rather than on the field every down. 3rd round and beyond is usually players who will be in rotation year 1 or just total development projects who won't see the field until the season after. Plenty of 3rd and beyond players will wind up being starters based on position (low value positions like kicker, long snapper etc you'll see guys who weren't even drafted winning starting spots) or excelling during training camp, injuries etc.  

For the bills I would expect Rosseau to be a starter, Basham will be rotational but see plenty of playing time, Brown is a development prospect with ridiculous size etc sometimes you see players drafted based on their athletic traits with the idea being you can't teach size and/or speed but you can coach technique (bit like placheta for us) - he seems pretty raw but is 6'8 and Bills are already set at OT so that pick probably has an eye more on the future and coaching him up.

Washington first 4 picks (we had two in round 3 due to a trade) will probably all see plenty the field, based on who we picked and the calibre of player already on the team. We've addressed some of the weakest positions on the roster so they all have a chance to win a bunch of playing time as their competition for those spots isn't great or we don't have much depth at the spot so they're likely to see a lot of playing time anyway.

Edited by kick it off

On 01/05/2021 at 07:54, KiwiScot said:

The wonder of the draft is that you generally come out of it convinced everyone you drafted is going to be a huge success. Right now I'm convinced our 6th round defensive tackle is going to be massive success for instance, last year John Hightower, a 4th round receiver was going to be the deep threat we've needed for years, instead he looked lost at this level.

The Bills won the draft on the strength of names though- Boogie Basham and Rachad Wildgoose are great names. 

On 01/05/2021 at 00:43, kick it off said:

Love the Dickerson pick. If he can stay healthy, he'll be an excellent addition to the line. Would have gone in first if not for injury concerns. Eagles having a great draft so far. Annoyingly.

I think its a draft with an eye on 2022. 

Smith and Reagor give Hurts weapons to see if he makes a case for himself as the starter longer term. Dickerson is a long term successor to Kelce who may retire after this season, provided he stays healthy of course. Depth was added to the D line too, corner is the big question mark- I'd imagine we'll pick up a free agent corner soon though.

We should now be able to use 2021 to evaluate Hurts- if he isn't good enough we should have a high enough pick and enough draft ammo to get into position for a replacement in 2022. If he is good enough, we've potentially got 3 first round picks to help fill in gaps and make us competitive for 2022, while moving on some of our older, overpaid players to give us some cap room. 

So this season I think we likely let the other three NFC East teams fight it out, we look to

Bump be de de bump. New season and Buccs already won their first game. Deshaun Watson still with the Texans, but inactive for the now. They seem to be doing ok without him. Bills and Jet have lost. Will Miami continue to improve? First up #stopthepats

They made us sweat a bit at the end of that game though KG 😀 41-17 to 41-33 in 2 min

p.s worst performance of the day? Aaron Rodgers and the Packers - and there was me saying the 49ers should trade for him….

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

Wow, what an unexpected start to the season for the Eagles. Hurts looked at home, Devonta Smith looking every bit the superstar receiver we're hoping for and dominant performances in both trenches. Obviously have to caveat with the fact the Falcons are awful but still, hugely encouraging start. 

Add in that the rest of the division lost and suddenly we're looking rosy. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Surfer said:

Aye, 5 -11 may get you into the playoffs KC. 

17 game season now Surfer! Which means all the potential records sound wrong- no more 8-8 teams...

On 13/09/2021 at 16:42, king canary said:

Wow, what an unexpected start to the season for the Eagles. Hurts looked at home, Devonta Smith looking every bit the superstar receiver we're hoping for and dominant performances in both trenches. Obviously have to caveat with the fact the Falcons are awful but still, hugely encouraging start. 

Add in that the rest of the division lost and suddenly we're looking rosy. 

Time will tell.

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

Time will tell.

Don't get me wrong, I dont think we're Superbowl bound. However I'd gone into this season expecting a dumpster fire so it was nice to see us look good in all three phases- heck even our new punter had a brilliant game. 

It's going to be interesting to see what your guys do with Fitz going down. Is Heinickie someone you can ride for the next 7 games and still be in contention? Or do you start looking at a Cam Newton type? 

On 15/09/2021 at 19:17, king canary said:

Don't get me wrong, I dont think we're Superbowl bound. However I'd gone into this season expecting a dumpster fire so it was nice to see us look good in all three phases- heck even our new punter had a brilliant game. 

It's going to be interesting to see what your guys do with Fitz going down. Is Heinickie someone you can ride for the next 7 games and still be in contention? Or do you start looking at a Cam Newton type? 

I don't know that we'll be in contention to regardless to be fair. Heinicke has earned the right to show us what he has got. Reminds me of a Gardner Minshew type to be fair. Not sure he'll be good enough, but balls of steel and good enough to win if he gets hot. 

Newton is washed - wouldn't go near him. I'd just roll with Heinicke and see what happens. Such a Washington thing to happen to sign Fitz and then break him within one half of football.

Fred Warner immense for Niners against Eagles. Injuries mounting up unfortunately and Mitchell injury after 100+ yard debut depressing.

Once they can get the chains moving, Jimmy looks better but sluggish 3 and outs early against better teams could be a problem.

Warner is an absolute stud. Eagles blew this game though by failing to convert chances in the first half. Not getting on points when starting 1st and goal and the 1 yard line is awful. We do lack a classic power back for these types of situations.

Johnny Herbert and the Chargers are starting to look really good.... nice of the Rams to let them have the use of a nice new stadium for $1 rent and rights to some rejected designs for a white home kit.... 

Didn't expect to see the Chiefs at 1-2. Also thoughts with Andy 'Big Red' Reid who had to leave the stadium in an ambulance last night.

Incredible moment from Justin Tucker too- jaw dropping stuff to watch live. Lions must be feeling sick though.

I imagine you'd have got long odds on the Panthers, Rams, Cardinals, Raiders and Broncos being unbeaten at this point. The Rams particularly look like an absolute powerhouse right now, nice to see Stafford getting a chance with a proper supporting cast.

And finally the NFC East and AFC South remain the dumpster fires of the League. Whoever wins the Eagles v Cowboys suddenly takes control of a terrible division as the Giants remain terrible and Washington doesn't have a proper QB. 

Oh. Hope Andy Reid is ok.

Reason for the post. Record 66 yard Field Goal. Go to 2:38 on the vid for the better angle.

Couldn't find a vid easily, but the Dolphins gave up the first safety with a completed pass in their end zone without a penalty or fumble.