kick it off

NFL Thread

46 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Honour native Americans and the military - why Daniel? He has got to move away from the racist past of the franchise -  Washingtom teams were the last ones to integrate - and there is no local significant native American culture to represent in Washington. Black American culture yes, it’s a majority black town as so many slaves escaped there for Federal Government protection during and after the Civil War. So a name that reflects freedom, representation, inclusion would be great. I just see a rich white guy twisting in the wind wondering how to make a change without any idea of the right thing to do. 

Deapite the reputation of politicians for being slime balls, the American people do have a deep respect for Washington and Congress and the White House and their Flag. Symbols of being part of something bigger than their own State. The military suck up is a poor proxy for that patriotism, and the NFL and DoD have been guilty of pushing that “support our troops” line for years, when the correct focus should instead be “support our liberties”. 

So Daniel, time to put your big boy pants on and grab the opportunity for Washington to become “America’s Team” - why concede that title to a bunch of Cowboys in Texas who are only part of America because they ran out of money and begged to join the Union, to only later rebel against it to protect slavery. 

So call them the Washington Congress with a nice Capitol Building (not the White House) as their logo and an American flag somewhere too. Something everyone can get behind to heal this wound.

No native American culture in DC?! Virginia alone had 11 tribes.

What on earth would a logo for the "federals" looks like? You expect Washington fans to gfo round saying "Yeah man, I love the feds". No chance and rightly so.

I'm not fond of the military tie in either, but Rivera grew up in a military family - his dad was 32 year vet, so he obviously believes in that, and it's becoming increasingly clear that he has a lot of power in this new look organisation. 

The pentagon is in Virginia so it's not a completely weird military link.

Yes we were the last team in the country to integrate because George Preston Marshall was a piece of ****. We were also the first team in the country to win the superbowl with a black QB.

Slap a flag on it and everyone will get behind it? Eurgh. You hate the military tie in but think slapping a flag on it to garner some "patriotism" support is a good idea? I hope there's far more thought goes into it than that. Dan won't be making this decision alone, believe that. Rivera will have a big say and I expect there to be a proper process.

Pretty sure by the way, getting rid of all native imagery and replacing it with imagery of the state (specifically the flag) that stole their land would be pretty offensive to most native americans.

With all due respect Buddy, I'm really glad you're not in charge of this rebrand! 

Edited by kick it off

Well of course what is now Washington had native Indian tribes, so did New England, and Kentucky and Florida and everywhere. So to honor Native Americans is obviously nothing to do with a local culture it’s everything to do with being opposite red skins i.e. scalps. So just drop tip toeing around the Indian thing and military too and look to what Washington represents to the nation - or should represent. democracy, law, strength, diplomacy, fairness, representation. 

47 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

How about Presidents?

Yes, that would be good choice. Avoids them having to ditch the "Hail to the Chief" fight song as well. 

Here is an off the wall one - The Potomacs.

To honor a local native Indian tribe and the river that flows past the military's Pentagon headquarters.

There, we fixed the problem for you Daniel.   

10 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Yes, that would be good choice. Avoids them having to ditch the "Hail to the Chief" fight song as well. 

Here is an off the wall one - The Potomacs.

To honor a local native Indian tribe and the river that flows past the military's Pentagon headquarters.

There, we fixed the problem for you Daniel.   

That's been floated within the fanbase but I think there's a significant subsect of native americans who oppose people as mascots. Certainly wouldn't get rid of the controversy. There are ways to do it (Blackhawks being obvious example) but to be honest I think everyone is better off going in a different direction here. 

"democracy, law, strength, diplomacy, fairness, representation." - Not sure anybody looks at DC these days and sees that mate. Not in this administration.

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

"democracy, law, strength, diplomacy, fairness, representation." - Not sure anybody looks at DC these days and sees that mate. Not in this administration.

There is a lot more to this country than the antics of this administration. Americans are (perhaps a bit too) proud of their country. And Washington D.C still represents those things to the millions who visit the city every year. 

Edited by Surfer

Spotted the Niners picked up Jordan Reed. If he can stay healthy he will add a new dimension to your offense. On a pure talent level, he's got it all, but he's made of glass. Dude has had like 7 concussions over the last 4 years or so, including one where he was still having symptoms 5 months later. 

I wish for his own sake he had just retired to be honest, gotta be worried about CTE from all those concussions, but as he's decided to play out another season, wish him nothing but the best of health. He's a good guy.

Deandre Baker arrested forearmed robbery, Derrius Guice released over domestic violence charges, some of these guys are just so stupid.

On 04/08/2020 at 15:16, kick it off said:

Spotted the Niners picked up Jordan Reed. If he can stay healthy he will add a new dimension to your offense. On a pure talent level, he's got it all, but he's made of glass. Dude has had like 7 concussions over the last 4 years or so, including one where he was still having symptoms 5 months later. 

I wish for his own sake he had just retired to be honest, gotta be worried about CTE from all those concussions, but as he's decided to play out another season, wish him nothing but the best of health. He's a good guy.

Interesting. That's quite a 1-2 with Kittle. 

TBH I had missed that one, been following the other boys in yellow and green. Go A's! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Deandre Baker arrested forearmed robbery, Derrius Guice released over domestic violence charges, some of these guys are just so stupid.

Was just discussing Guice with my partner actually.

Gutted to lose him because he could be a hell of a player, but for once we have made the right decision - speaks volumes about the new era in Washington under Riverboat Ron Rivera. 2 years ago we signed Reuben Foster days after he was arrested for DV, now we're cutting Guice hours after he's arrested for the same thing. Sucks but it's the right call.

Interestingly Carolina took him off their board pre-draft - he had a lot of personality red flags which is why he dropped so far. Ron obviously didn't like him then, and someone who is (genuinely) ITK in the organisation said about a month ago that Guice needed to sort his behaviour out as Ron and co were already sick of him.

Anyone else looking forward to the new season? A lot of good teams and QB's out there makes me wish I knew a bit more about the game in general. The Dolphins? Well with Don Shula passing away in the post-season it reminds you how long the Dolphins have sucked for. Now reading a few previews about the Dolphins it seems all good with upgrade's everywhere including the offensive line and a good rookie QB. Of course clearly this is still the Dolphins when the predictions are along the lines of 7-9. 4th place it is with our only function to beat the Patriots the odd inconvenient time 😉

We also have the Las Vegas Raiders and The Washington Football Team to introduce(or hopefully to be renamed the Washington Avocados maybe)

Lastly and most intriguing is they have expanded the playoffs to 7 teams per conference. I also thought x2 wildcards spots was a bit mean so now another team gets a happy ending to top off the season.

Hopefully covid does not play a part, but hard how it won't. Here are some Snippets while googling NFL preview

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/08/25/team-by-team-2020-nfl-previews

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-predictions-2020-picks-standings-projections/gbkss4gavk481j3bbmammcuxr

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2894479-9-bold-predictions-for-the-2020-nfl-season

Edited by KiwiScot

It's going to be an interesting season for sure Kiwi - I'm excited about seeing the WFT take the field. We've had pretty much the offseason from hell, but it needed to happen and I'm just glad it's over so we can all start to move on.

Feels like we have a new start and there's lots to be optimistic about. 

Don't think we're playoff calibre this year, but you never know, I'm just looking forward to seeing Chase Young destroy everything in his path.

Eagles up in 2 weeks @king canary 👀

11 hours ago, kick it off said:

It's going to be an interesting season for sure Kiwi - I'm excited about seeing the WFT take the field. We've had pretty much the offseason from hell, but it needed to happen and I'm just glad it's over so we can all start to move on.

Feels like we have a new start and there's lots to be optimistic about. 

Don't think we're playoff calibre this year, but you never know, I'm just looking forward to seeing Chase Young destroy everything in his path.

Eagles up in 2 weeks @king canary 👀

This will probably  come back and bite me in the **** but im not concerned about WFT this year. I dont hugely rate Haskins, your best runner is about 40 years old and the organisation is a total mess with the owner now accused of being a pervert.

However with Dillard out injured I'm now a bit concerned by our offensive line and its a shame Reagor will miss the first couple of weeks as he's had a strong camp. Jackson staying healthy is key for us initially. 

The Cowboys are the team to beat in the NFC East with one of the strongest rosters in the whole league (on paper at least). My expectation is the Giants and WFT both finish with 7 wins or less and the Eagles go 9-7/10-6 but I do not know. 

As for the wider NFL- the most interesting question to me is can Lamar Jackson sustain his form or will teams be able to scheme against his running game? How does Brady look outside of New England and how does Newton fair under Bellichek? Lots of questions, both conferences feel as open as they've ever been, should be an interesting year.

And we should never forget the annual question - why on earth are Dallas in the NFC East? 

On 01/09/2020 at 10:45, king canary said:

This will probably  come back and bite me in the **** but im not concerned about WFT this year. I dont hugely rate Haskins, your best runner is about 40 years old and the organisation is a total mess with the owner now accused of being a pervert.

However with Dillard out injured I'm now a bit concerned by our offensive line and its a shame Reagor will miss the first couple of weeks as he's had a strong camp. Jackson staying healthy is key for us initially. 

The Cowboys are the team to beat in the NFC East with one of the strongest rosters in the whole league (on paper at least). My expectation is the Giants and WFT both finish with 7 wins or less and the Eagles go 9-7/10-6 but I do not know. 

Im expecting us to get 6-8 wins this season. 

I would be very concerned about dropping that first game to us if I were you though. I dont think we're at any risk of winning the NFCE but I fancy us to take that first eagles game. No Left Tackle and Chase Young looking to make a name for himself and live up to the hype? Carson Wentz already day to day with an injury and the WFT D-Line on his **** in 12 days? That's a problem if I'm a Philly fan.

We may be a cluster**** but our D-Line is as good as anything in the league on paper. Biggest strength of the team.

Weve got some talent in our RB room - look out for Love, that dude is a burner. AP may be old but hes still a decent RB. Antonio Gibson is going to be a big part of the offense, look out for him in that hybrid McCaffrey role that Carolina used.

The organisation is no longer a mess. Snyder is a **** but you look at the people we've put in the front office and we have a very strong set up. By far the most functional front office weve had in 20 years or so. Jason Wright is the smartest person in every room he walks into, Julie Donaldson is brilliant and we've obviously got Riverboat Ron at the helm. We're definitely in rebirth mode. The NFL will take Snyder to the wood shed sooner or later but we're not the old boys club weve been for the last decade. This really is a new era.

Edited by kick it off

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

And we should never forget the annual question - why on earth are Dallas in the NFC East? 

The answer is **** Dallas. Regardless of question, that answer is always correct

On 01/09/2020 at 10:45, king canary said:

your best runner is about 40 years old

Peterson cut. Bit of a surprise, and a shame as I really enjoyed watching AP in Washington.... BUT if you're cutting AP that means you're pretty damn excited about Gibson and AP doesn't want to stick around if he's not going to get enough touches to break some more HOF records.... Gibson's measurables are that he's bigger and faster than McCaffrey. He could be a problem.

Very hard to pick an NFL season. We have our favourites all we can hope is they do well.

49ers have done some good trading and I am hopeful they can go a touch further. Still think Jimmy isn't a Ring winner so it will be the running game again with a defence that will be enhanced after a full season together.

41 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Watching Redzone, see some grounds are empty, some have at least a third maybe even a half attendance 

Thought there was only one ground allowing (limited number of) fans in to be fair. Washington have said no fans all season

Edited by kick it off

On 07/09/2020 at 11:42, keelansgrandad said:

Very hard to pick an NFL season. We have our favourites all we can hope is they do well.

49ers have done some good trading and I am hopeful they can go a touch further. Still think Jimmy isn't a Ring winner so it will be the running game again with a defence that will be enhanced after a full season together.

Defense could not stop a mobile QB again and Jimmy G inaccurate again. Yes it's only the first game, but still a worrying trend.. 

Well what a ****ing disaster that was for the Eagles.

I know this will sound bitter but this is a great example of a game where the WFT didn't win it- the Eagles lost it. Every single Washington point came from drives starting in Eagles territory.

Wentz is becoming one of the most frustrating QB's in the game right now. Perfect for 25 minutes even with a beaten up o-line but then fell apart. I don't mind the interceptions as such- that is partly on the lack chemistry between him and two rookie receivers- but the sack on 3rd down to push us out of FG range was criminal, as was the fumble at the end of the game. Sometimes he just nees to accept a play isn't happening and get rid of the ****ing ball, rather than try to be the hero.

You've got to think we'll improve when we get Lane Johnson, Miles Sanders and Javon Hargreaves back but still this was a worry.

For Washington, they've clearly finally got some heart/spirit back in the team but my opinion remains the same- excellent d-line (although they won't be beating up on backups all season), minimal skill position players and a quarterback destined for a career as a backup.

14 hours ago, Surfer said:

Defense could not stop a mobile QB again and Jimmy G inaccurate again. Yes it's only the first game, but still a worrying trend.. 

Stuck with Jimmy for now but the defence in the 4th is worrying.

8 hours ago, king canary said:

Well what a ****ing disaster that was for the Eagles.

I know this will sound bitter but this is a great example of a game where the WFT didn't win it- the Eagles lost it. Every single Washington point came from drives starting in Eagles territory.

Wentz is becoming one of the most frustrating QB's in the game right now. Perfect for 25 minutes even with a beaten up o-line but then fell apart. I don't mind the interceptions as such- that is partly on the lack chemistry between him and two rookie receivers- but the sack on 3rd down to push us out of FG range was criminal, as was the fumble at the end of the game. Sometimes he just nees to accept a play isn't happening and get rid of the ****ing ball, rather than try to be the hero.

You've got to think we'll improve when we get Lane Johnson, Miles Sanders and Javon Hargreaves back but still this was a worry.

For Washington, they've clearly finally got some heart/spirit back in the team but my opinion remains the same- excellent d-line (although they won't be beating up on backups all season), minimal skill position players and a quarterback destined for a career as a backup.

I'm not sure I agree that WFT didn't win it - Wentz will be hearing footsteps in his sleep from the D-line. Our coaches made adjustments to smother Goedert and Ertz and without them, he really had nowhere to go and pressure in his face a whole bunch. The drives started in Eagles territory because the Defense made plays, both the INTs and turnover on downs etc (although how the hell Bostic got a clean run like that for his sack, I don't know, that was about as blown as it is possible for a play to be by the RB who was meant to block him. That's kind of how Rivera has had to build this team given our lack of skill players on Offense. Kill teams with the aggressive D and give Haskins a short field to work with. I don't think that will be the only game this season that all our points come from drives starting in the opposing half.

Agree about Wentz's tendency to go for the glory every time instead of playing smart. He needs to work on that. He's good enough to wriggle out of pressure maybe 30% of the time - he's burnt us with it numerous times in the past, but you can't do that when you have 4 1st round D-linemen (including Chase Young) flying at you basically unblocked.

I think you'll improve when you get healthy again but the lack of depth is slightly concerning if I'm a Philly fan.

That D-line can only beat what's in front of them. I'd back them to beat up on most O-lines in the league. I can't wait to see them matching up with that famous Cowboys OL. I have a feeling that Dak and Zeke won't look forward to playing us much (for the first time in years). We needed that Chase Young calibre talent to open it up - someone who can take the double teams away and leave gaps for the other guys. And if you don't double team Chase Young, you're in trouble anyway! 

This year is going to be really interesting for Haskins. He has been challenged big time by Rivera and seems to have sorted his **** out now. He is developing as a leader for sure. Rivera had to get an IV during Halftime (he was recently diagnosed with Cancer if you weren't aware) and Haskins gave a speech at Half time which a number of players said had really fired them up for the second half. He's obviously benefitting from having Alex Smith in the QB room too, you look at the numbers he put up yesterday - 178yds 1 TD 0 INT. Alex Smith put up those EXACT numbers to the damn yard 3 out of his last 5 games before the injury. To be fair to Haskins, look at the shower he has at TE and WR - he's not exactly blessed with weapons. Aside from McLaurin, the cupboards are pretty bare so be interesting to see what he can do if we can get some WR and TEs for him next year.

I don't think we're good enough to do much this season, but if we can add some skill players for next year then I think we could certainly be in the mix for NFC East.

15 hours ago, kick it off said:

I'm not sure I agree that WFT didn't win it - Wentz will be hearing footsteps in his sleep from the D-line. Our coaches made adjustments to smother Goedert and Ertz and without them, he really had nowhere to go and pressure in his face a whole bunch. The drives started in Eagles territory because the Defense made plays, both the INTs and turnover on downs etc (although how the hell Bostic got a clean run like that for his sack, I don't know, that was about as blown as it is possible for a play to be by the RB who was meant to block him. That's kind of how Rivera has had to build this team given our lack of skill players on Offense. Kill teams with the aggressive D and give Haskins a short field to work with. I don't think that will be the only game this season that all our points come from drives starting in the opposing half.

Agree about Wentz's tendency to go for the glory every time instead of playing smart. He needs to work on that. He's good enough to wriggle out of pressure maybe 30% of the time - he's burnt us with it numerous times in the past, but you can't do that when you have 4 1st round D-linemen (including Chase Young) flying at you basically unblocked.

I think you'll improve when you get healthy again but the lack of depth is slightly concerning if I'm a Philly fan.

That D-line can only beat what's in front of them. I'd back them to beat up on most O-lines in the league. I can't wait to see them matching up with that famous Cowboys OL. I have a feeling that Dak and Zeke won't look forward to playing us much (for the first time in years). We needed that Chase Young calibre talent to open it up - someone who can take the double teams away and leave gaps for the other guys. And if you don't double team Chase Young, you're in trouble anyway! 

This year is going to be really interesting for Haskins. He has been challenged big time by Rivera and seems to have sorted his **** out now. He is developing as a leader for sure. Rivera had to get an IV during Halftime (he was recently diagnosed with Cancer if you weren't aware) and Haskins gave a speech at Half time which a number of players said had really fired them up for the second half. He's obviously benefitting from having Alex Smith in the QB room too, you look at the numbers he put up yesterday - 178yds 1 TD 0 INT. Alex Smith put up those EXACT numbers to the damn yard 3 out of his last 5 games before the injury. To be fair to Haskins, look at the shower he has at TE and WR - he's not exactly blessed with weapons. Aside from McLaurin, the cupboards are pretty bare so be interesting to see what he can do if we can get some WR and TEs for him next year.

I don't think we're good enough to do much this season, but if we can add some skill players for next year then I think we could certainly be in the mix for NFC East.

We're always going to come at this from different points of view but outside of a swarming D line I didn't feel at any point we were being outplayed, just that we kept getting in our own way.

Both interceptions were clear timing/chemistry issues between QB and receiver and while your DB's still need to make a play, they weren't amazing bits of defensive work, just taking advantage of poor football. Similarly I didn't feel Ertz or Goedert were taken away- just our coaching staff kept trying to dial up deep shots which is dumb as hell when your QB is getting beaten up. 

In my opinion just a bit more intelligence from Carson and the coaching staff and we take that 17 point lead home easily. We just got dumb.

Imagine taking Saquon Barclay 1st in your fantasy draft and watching him getting stuffed for less than a yard a carry. What a performance by Pittsburgh.