kick it off

NFL Thread

With the dust settling I'm feeling much more positive on this draft.

We finally drafted in volume (10 picks this year rather than the 5 we used in 18 and 19), addressed key needs and added a lot of speed to the team.

Reagor, Hightower, Goodwin and Watkins all give us deep threat options, Driscoll and Wanogho give us depth behind a top quality o-line and Taylor and Wallace seem like great athletes with lots of potential. If you leave out the very strange second round pick on Hurts then it's a decent haul.

Unfortunately the team that looks like they've had the best draft might be the Cowboys though.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

With the dust settling I'm feeling much more positive on this draft.

We finally drafted in volume (10 picks this year rather than the 5 we used in 18 and 19), addressed key needs and added a lot of speed to the team.

Reagor, Hightower, Goodwin and Watkins all give us deep threat options, Driscoll and Wanogho give us depth behind a top quality o-line and Taylor and Wallace seem like great athletes with lots of potential. If you leave out the very strange second round pick on Hurts then it's a decent haul.

Unfortunately the team that looks like they've had the best draft might be the Cowboys though.

Agreed. Cowboys, Bengals and Vikings all had excellent drafts.

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

Agreed. Cowboys, Bengals and Vikings all had excellent drafts.

If the Cowboys can finally combine good drafting with good coaching they'll be a force.

24 minutes ago, king canary said:

If the Cowboys can finally combine good drafting with good coaching they'll be a force.

They're loaded throughout the roster but I don't think Dak can win it all. Put a better QB in there and I think they'd be contending for the SB - with Dak, I think they'll struggle to win it all, but definitely loaded enough that it's definitely not impossible

Edited by kick it off

On 26/04/2020 at 06:36, king canary said:

It's the Cowboys. They'll find a way to look good and then screw it all up at the end. Happens every year since Aikman retired. 

15 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Pats don't have a replacement for Brady yet.

I kind of expect them to trade for Andy Dalton at some point.

I kind of expect them to trade for Andy Dalton at some point.

They can have Jimmy back and we will have Ryan. I guess he fell out of love with the Bengals when they benched him for a rookie and couldn't get a ground game going.

The ground game is a 49er strength and I think Dalton would help that.

Just finished binge watching Amazon's "All or Nothing"

Talk about snake bit with injuries, that was amazing. 

14 hours ago, Surfer said:

Just finished binge watching Amazon's "All or Nothing"

Talk about snake bit with injuries, that was amazing. 

The Eagles series? I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch it. We were insanely unlucky with injuries all season, topped off by Clowney cheap shotting Wentz in the playoffs.

@king canary - Looks like we're up Week 1. Hope Chase Young buries Wentz and we can at least end the six game skid. Sick of losing to you guys.

The below reporter is reliable and is almost always correct.

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

@king canary - Looks like we're up Week 1. Hope Chase Young buries Wentz and we can at least end the six game skid. Sick of losing to you guys.

The below reporter is reliable and is almost always correct.

An NFC East battle he says - well duh! The teams in the NFC East do tend to play each other, but a battle? 

I though the only game that mattered was Eagles v Cowboys .... 🙂 

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Well it went well for you guys last year 😉

Bookending the season - we got you in Philly week 17. If you need a win at that point then you're pretty much guaranteed one!!

One good point about supporting a team that has sucked for decades is that we have ZERO primetime games. Couple of later kick offs but no stupid o clock in the morning games 🙂

Edited by kick it off

Just seen that the scumbag wife beater greg hardy is now in the ufc and fought tonight. Unfortunately won. Hope someone kicks his teeth in soon.

Edited by kick it off

Ouch - is that the new kit for the L.A RAMS or the L.A Chargers?  see below - Charger top and Rams below.... 

What a complete botch job for the Rams. Take an iconic uniform - everyone know the Rams means L.A so you don't need to say it - and then trash it so badly it could be mistaken for your rivals (who will be playing in the same building) .... maybe this s a cunning way to cut costs - use the same stadium, same logo, same uniforms? 

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2020/5/13/21256533/rams-new-uniforms-2020-la-colors-logo

Seriously how can you change your iconic logo from a Ram's horn to the letter "C" ? 

Rams.jpg

Edited by Surfer
  • Confused 1

Cam Newton to the Patriots. And the usual tight wad front office aren't really pushing the boat out on basic wages. If they have a bad season he might be a few million short of what he might have got in his option year at the Panthers.

On 03/07/2020 at 16:14, keelansgrandad said:

Cam Newton to the Patriots. And the usual tight wad front office aren't really pushing the boat out on basic wages. If they have a bad season he might be a few million short of what he might have got in his option year at the Panthers.

He's signed for a team pretty much guaranetted playoffs with one of the greatest coaches of the game. Patriots get a one year QB while they alter their offensive style to tie in to whoever would be that 2nd year QB

Holy ....

That Mahomes deal is insane. Makes a lot of sense for both sides but those numbers are eye-watering.

image.png.9328dfedd52c1b39722f9a7a102c454d.png

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/07/06/patrick-mahomes-contract-extension-chiefs

And hell has officially frozen over as Dan Snyder has finally succumbed to the pressure and we're changing the name. I'm looking forward to a new era under Riverboat Ron, new name, no Bruce Allen and CHASE FREAKING YOUNG leading a Jack Del Rio Defense. Finally some light at the end of the tunnel in DC.

Edited by kick it off

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Holy ....

That Mahomes deal is insane. Makes a lot of sense for both sides but those numbers are eye-watering.

image.png.9328dfedd52c1b39722f9a7a102c454d.png

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/07/06/patrick-mahomes-contract-extension-chiefs

And hell has officially frozen over as Dan Snyder has finally succumbed to the pressure and we're changing the name. I'm looking forward to a new era under Riverboat Ron, new name, no Bruce Allen and CHASE FREAKING YOUNG leading a Jack Del Rio Defense. Finally some light at the end of the tunnel in DC.

I honestly do not know what this will do to the game. To think a kicker, who many a coach has said is so important to the team, might not even be getting a million a season (admittedly the good ones excluded) and the Chiefs (how much longer with that name) are willing to assume that Mahomes will be good for that long. He still needs a good offensive line and a defense that keeps him on the pitch.

I just do not get it.

No home crowds for either New York teams or Philly next season- will be interesting to see what affect that has.

Also in the NFC East, the Redskins finally get some good publicity (changing the god awful name) and then immediately have to deal with multiple sexual harassment allegations. Snyder really needs to go.

There may not be any (NFL star) players in those empty stadiums either at this rate - 

23 hours ago, king canary said:

No home crowds for either New York teams or Philly next season- will be interesting to see what affect that has.

Also in the NFC East, the Redskins finally get some good publicity (changing the god awful name) and then immediately have to deal with multiple sexual harassment allegations. Snyder really needs to go.

Snyder is an awful owner. On the plus side, we have cleaned house and all those involved are out the door. It really does feel like a fresh start with Riverboat Ron.

So the former Washington Redskins will now be the Washington Football Team. Yeah that works eh? 

What a sh!tty owner Snyder is - can't make your mind up / hoping there is a Presidential change / trying to sell the team? 

Washington Senators  - good, used twice before by baseball teams but an instant recognizable name.

Washington Swamp - has some merit... 

Washington Braves - their original name; or Washington Warriors - probably not a good idea to pick another native Indian name.. on the other hand a "strong" decision....

Washington Warthogs - many of their fans already call themselves the "hogs" so an easy transition? 

Edited by Surfer

10 hours ago, Surfer said:

So the former Washington Redskins will now be the Washington Football Team. Yeah that works eh? 

What a sh!tty owner Snyder is - can't make your mind up / hoping there is a Presidential change / trying to sell the team? 

Washington Senators  - good, used twice before by baseball teams but an instant recognizable name.

Washington Swamp - has some merit... 

Washington Braves - their original name; or Washington Warriors - probably not a good idea to pick another native Indian name.. on the other hand a "strong" decision....

Washington Warthogs - many of their fans already call themselves the "hogs" so an easy transition? 

I felt sure they might go for Monuments

Football team is a temp name for this year whilst they rebrand properly.

Monuments and senators are awful.

Frontrunners at the moment seem to be Warriors, Red Wolves, Red Tails. Warriors is probably most likely i think. No chance we go for Braves or anything native American related

Edited by kick it off

That should rule out Warriors then eh? And why retain the word red ? The team colors do not include red, so is it being proposed to be retained to be a reference to Redskins ... i.e. a very similar problem as Warriors .... we changed our name because we had to, but you know we didn’t mean it wink wink...

Make a complete break - Federals would be good - Federal Express are the sponsor and DC is a Federal Territory. Congress would good too. 

21 minutes ago, Surfer said:

That should rule out Warriors then eh? And why retain the word red ? The team colors do not include red, so is it being proposed to be retained to be a reference to Redskins ... i.e. a very similar problem as Warriors .... we changed our name because we had to, but you know we didn’t mean it wink wink...

Make a complete break - Federals would be good - Federal Express are the sponsor and DC is a Federal Territory. Congress would good too. 

Eurgh federals is horrible too. Congress is better but want to stay away from hokey government tie ins to be honest.

Warriors can be linked to any group throughout history - it's generic - we're ditching the native american theming so there can't really be a complaint in that regard. Burgundy is a deep shade of red, certainly closer to red than any other colour, plus keeping the red retains a link to the history of the franchise whilst getting rid of the problem bit. The logo has been retired despite not being considered offensive (it was designed bya former NA chief), so I don't really see how anyone could have an issue with Red ______ - Native Americans don't have a monopoly on the colour/word "red". Same with warriors. Without the native american theming it has zero to do with any native american group.

Red wolves are an endangered species indigenous to East coast (no longer the DMV but they once were). Red tails would be in honour of the Tuskegee airmen of WW2. (Great film about them was released a few years back if you haven't seen it)

Rivera said we want to honour native americans and the military with the next name, so the outside bet would be "code talkers" but I think it's unlikely we go for anything directly linked to a minority group so I think Red Tails unlikely too. 

I just hope it's not something lame. Warriors is underwhelming but it's not awful and it's a safe pick for Dan (NBA already has a Warriors team).

Edited by kick it off

Honour native Americans and the military - why Daniel? He has got to move away from the racist past of the franchise -  Washingtom teams were the last ones to integrate - and there is no local significant native American culture to represent in Washington. Black American culture yes, it’s a majority black town as so many slaves escaped there for Federal Government protection during and after the Civil War. So a name that reflects freedom, representation, inclusion would be great. I just see a rich white guy twisting in the wind wondering how to make a change without any idea of the right thing to do. 

Deapite the reputation of politicians for being slime balls, the American people do have a deep respect for Washington and Congress and the White House and their Flag. Symbols of being part of something bigger than their own State. The military suck up is a poor proxy for that patriotism, and the NFL and DoD have been guilty of pushing that “support our troops” line for years, when the correct focus should instead be “support our liberties”. 

So Daniel, time to put your big boy pants on and grab the opportunity for Washington to become “America’s Team” - why concede that title to a bunch of Cowboys in Texas who are only part of America because they ran out of money and begged to join the Union, to only later rebel against it to protect slavery. 

So call them the Washington Congress with a nice Capitol Building (not the White House) as their logo and an American flag somewhere too. Something everyone can get behind to heal this wound.

Edited by Surfer