kick it off

NFL Thread

True, but the real problem was that the Niners couldn’t run the game clock to zero to prevent Mahones doing what he did. So either very good defense from KC, or very poor QB and OL play. If you adhere to the first idea, Kansas deserves their win and a very gutsy comeback, if you adhere to the second, the Niners effectively threw that game away. Either way, congrats KC. 

Edited by Surfer

Just got up.

Very disappointed. Sounds sour grapes but Jimmy is not a SB winning QB. The options and chances were there but I never felt comfortable that he would control the game. The run is Niners great weapon and until Jimmy can take control of a game like other top QB, the run will dominate and teams will adjust.

But congratulations to KC for a great comeback. And well done Niners for turning around a franchise that was going nowhere. At the end of the day. it has been a great and memorable season.

On 03/02/2020 at 04:38, Surfer said:

True, but the real problem was that the Niners couldn’t run the game clock to zero to prevent Mahones doing what he did. So either very good defense from KC, or very poor QB and OL play. If you adhere to the first idea, Kansas deserves their win and a very gutsy comeback, if you adhere to the second, the Niners effectively threw that game away. Either way, congrats KC. 

I think the Steve Spagnolo, the KC defensive coordinator, deserves credit for adjusting and handling the SF run game better as the game went on. 

I said before the game that I didn't think the way the Niners played v Green Bay and Minnesota was sustainable against Kansas and so it proved. Teams who play the 9ers will want to put the ball in the hands of Jimmy G as much as possible.

13 hours ago, Surfer said:

No. Wrong time zone for American TV. 

I don't know if London can but if it failed this wouldn't be the reason.

The reason would be this - at the moment the NFL can cherry pick who they send to London to play a couple of games a season. With a team - especially a bad one like the Jaguars - you are locking in divisional opponent games. And that means poor ratings. To match up to normal kick off times in US it also means evening kick offs so now UK TV audience is competing against prime time programming there. To go with afternoon kick offs in London means conflicting with Church in US. So no, outside of these few exhibition games it makes no sense. It would be a much better move for the NFL to.put the Jaguars into Mexico City instead. Even their logo aligns with historical Aztec references. 

13 minutes ago, Surfer said:

The reason would be this - at the moment the NFL can cherry pick who they send to London to play a couple of games a season. With a team - especially a bad one like the Jaguars - you are locking in divisional opponent games. And that means poor ratings. To match up to normal kick off times in US it also means evening kick offs so now UK TV audience is competing against prime time programming there. To go with afternoon kick offs in London means conflicting with Church in US. So no, outside of these few exhibition games it makes no sense. It would be a much better move for the NFL to.put the Jaguars into Mexico City instead. Even their logo aligns with historical Aztec references. 

I think you're hugely overestimating the 'prime time programming' happening in the UK at 6pm on a Sunday.

It does lock in that every home game would either need to be a 1pm ET kick off or a novelty early morning one, true. However I'm not sure the ratings for your standard Jags games are soaring right now.

It's true they are not, but Mexico City is a much better fit for an AFC South team is my main point. Especially given the large latino population of San Antonio (where is also a good candidate for an NFL team) It was always stupid to have three teams in Florida. 

Thing is, the NFL is scheduling games on different days. I assume because of media demands. And I assume the TV audience in Britain and Europe is growing. 

Remember, it would only be eight games played under lights, which is no different to a dome,  in the UK to suit certainly the at least the East Coast.

Free agency providing a distraction in the current climate- wild day yesterday.

Cardinals trade for Nuke Hopkins-  honestly what the **** are the Texans thinking here? Trading one of the games most consistent receivers for a second rounder and a running back on a huge contract? Making life harder for your potentially elite young QB? Insane.

49er trade Buckner- didn't see this one coming. Surprised they chose to move on from Buckner and keep Armsted but I guess getting the 13th overall pick softens that blow. This suggests Indy are out of the QB market in the draft at least. Also, I'd be shocked if the 9ers don't trade one of their 1st round picks for multiple later rounders being as they have no picks in rounds 2, 3 or 4.

Vikings trade Diggs- wow, he really hates Kirk Cousins. The day he gets extended Diggs moves on. Decent haul of draft picks for Minnesota though while getting a bit of a drama queen out of the locker room and a good weapon to help Josh Allen. Bit of a win-win trade.

None of the free-agent QB dominos have fallen yet (although Tannehill stays in Tenessee) so it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Thanks for reminder King - I checked yesterday and saw we signed Schweitzer and resigned Bostic. Just checked now and seen Kendall Fuller is coming back to Skins. Good news.

Trading Hopkins is f**king mental. Johnson is decent but Hopkins is a keystone of a team.

Buckner is a surprise but that kind of compensation is too good to give up for him - if you look at the contract he signed in Indy, you can totally understand why 9ers decided to cut bait - The Colts D-Line STINKS - first in history to allow 70% completion on pass attempts for two years running although they have some foundation blocks like Leonard. I can understand why they're making moves to address that and beef it up a bit, and they have another first rounder anyway.

Diggs is no surprise - Cousins is a d***. What is a surprise is that it took a substantially greater haul to prise Diggs out of Minny than it did to get Hopkins. Hopkins is a level above Diggs, although Diggs is very good.

Surprising lack of QB movement - Keenum to Browns to back up Mayfield seems sensible move for both parties.

Edited by kick it off

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

What is a surprise is that it took a substantially greater haul to prise Diggs out of Minny than it did to get Hopkins. Hopkins is a level above Diggs, although Diggs is very good.

Diggs is bit of a facebook middle aged woman at times. Lots of cryptic tweets hinting at drama behind the scenes, just seems to be a difficult guy to manage.

Brady confirms he's leaving the Patriots- apparently, Chargers and  Bucs are after him. Whoever gets him needs to upgrade their o-line too.

It's the Chargers then. Massive media market and brand new showcase stadium opening this Summer in which to showcase his talents. And the Chargers need someone like that to put themselves into the same bracket as the Rams. Tampa is a nice retirement home, but no. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000809686/article/opening-of-inglewood-stadium-delayed-until-2020

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Chargers just extended Rivers and put some money into Bulaga - think theyre out the running 

No they didn't? Rivers has gone to the Colts.

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

It's the Chargers then. Massive media market and brand new showcase stadium opening this Summer in which to showcase his talents. And the Chargers need someone like that to put themselves into the same bracket as the Rams. Tampa is a nice retirement home, but no. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000809686/article/opening-of-inglewood-stadium-delayed-until-2020

Only issue with putting him in the chargers is they have an awful line and he's very immobile. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Only issue with putting him in the chargers is they have an awful line and he's very immobile. 

True, and Kansas City are in the same division. 🙂

Just been looking at the 49ers contract deals and injured returners and leaving the draft aside they have done good business.

I wonder how much they are looking at QB's in the draft? We got away with Jimmy last season and he has his moments but we need someone to take advantage of the opportunities both the offensive line and defence present.

Mullens stats before JG were good and I hope he does well in Training Camp and maybe vies for starter.

What do you think about the first round picks? So far so good for the 49ers IMO. Losing Buckner and Sanders was tough but Kinlaw and Aiyuk look like decent replacements. 

I have absolutely no idea wtf the Eagles are doing in this draft. Roseman will be on the hot seat if this season doesn't go well.

23 hours ago, Surfer said:

What do you think about the first round picks? So far so good for the 49ers IMO. Losing Buckner and Sanders was tough but Kinlaw and Aiyuk look like decent replacements. 

Kinlaw will be an absolute monster in the NFL - love that pick.

Not sure on Aiyuk - don't know much about him.

Overall I'm happy with the Redskins draft - there's some players we passed on that I would have liked but not gonna cry about it.

Chase Young is legit and is going to be a headache for every team we play. Given the talent we have in that DL, teams having to account for Chase Young is going to cause big problems for them elsewhere. Our defense is going to be a force this season (at least up front, not convinced by our backfield at all).

Antonio Gibson was a perfect pick for us too - he's essentially been picked to take up the Christian McCaffrey role in our new Offense. WR/RB gadget guy - elite speed - he opens the playbook right up for us.

Saahdiq Charles is a massive boom or bust. He's talented but has a reputation as a headcase. If Rivera can get him whipped into shape then he's a brilliant value pick. If he can't get his head on straight then it's a waste.

Gandy-Golden was great value where we got him and is a good fit for our WR corps.

Ismael and Hudson were underwhelming when there's good players left on the board. Ismael is particularly underwhelming - Muti is a Round 1 talent but has had horrific injuries. I'd rather have taken a flier on the 5% chance he can get healthy than pick up Ismael who looks to be backup calibre at best. Hudson I can see a role for with Special Teams and blitzes but still not massively impressed, think there were better picks for us there.

5 hours ago, king canary said:

I have absolutely no idea wtf the Eagles are doing in this draft. Roseman will be on the hot seat if this season doesn't go well.

Yep. Some real headscratchers in there. Like the Taylor and Wallace picks but not convinced on any of the others.

Kinlaw seems an ideal pass rusher but does have a history of injuries. We will have to wait and see.

But with some sensible trades and Staley retiring, they freed up a bit of cap money to get Williams.

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Kinlaw seems an ideal pass rusher but does have a history of injuries. We will have to wait and see.

But with some sensible trades and Staley retiring, they freed up a bit of cap money to get Williams.

You're welcome to Williams. Don't get me wrong, he's a phenomenal player and a worthy replacement for Staley.... but the dude is a headcase... Hasn't played a full season since 2013 (IIRC) - threw his dummy out the pram with the Skins over the doctors not diagnosing a cancerous growth - the specific type he had is notoriously hard to diagnose and the Redskins staff told him to get a second opinion - he didn't do that... for five years... then blamed the staff and refused to play. We cleaned house with the staff in the off-season and got rid of literally the entire medical team - he then decided he didn't want to play because Rivera wouldn't extend any contracts until this season had played out (remember he sat out the entirety of last year and has a massive injury history - you can see why the new coach wouldn't extend him without seeing what he has left in the tank). Trent wants to be paid like the top tackle in football, but he hasn't played any for over 18 months and is injured a lot. His agent is also a total **** - he's basically a family friend of Trent who then became an agent with Trent as his first client when he got drafted - the guy is utterly clueless and gives him ridiculously bad advice - like saying in a radio interview that Trent (after sitting a year and all this ****) wants to retire a Redskin. His agent has lost Trent a lot of goodwill from the fanbase.

I think you're in a good situation with him - I would treat it as a one year rental but it is a great one for you - he knows Kyle, and presumably he will play before talking about an extension. He's a great player and will do well with you, although I hope you don't win the superbowl this year because Trent doesn't deserve anything nice to come out of this situation.

I'm still glad to be rid of him even though we have literally no other viable left tackle at the moment.... I presume we'll pick up Donald Penn or Jason Peters and then take a new LT next year - We'll quite possibly be bad enough to have a shot at Penei Sewell which would be great. I hope we're good this season, but if we're not (which I don't expect to be) then I hope we're bad enough to be in the top 5.

Edited by kick it off