kick it off

NFL Thread

38 minutes ago, king canary said:

Cousins is a good QB having a very good season with Minnesota.

Nearly 70% completion (4th in the league), 26-6 TD to Int ratio, 8.1 yards per attempt (7th highest in the league.

There is a narrative around him but he's easily a top 12 QB in this league which is enough to do well.

I disagree. Slightest hint of pressure, or a decent defense and he chokes. In terms of ability he is probably top 7 or 8 in the league but he's mentally weak and has no resilience which is why he will never win a SB.

Teams above 500 = 7-30

Monday Night Football = 0-9

Primetime games = 6-13

Primetime vs teams above 500 = 1-7

Quite simply he is a choker.

Looking forward to seeing the Saints embarass him on Sunday. He deserves it.

Edited by kick it off

6 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I disagree. Slightest hint of pressure, or a decent defense and he chokes. In terms of ability he is probably top 7 or 8 in the league but he's mentally weak and has no resilience which is why he will never win a SB.

Teams above 500 = 7-30

Monday Night Football = 0-9

Primetime games = 6-13

Primetime vs teams above 500 = 1-7

Quite simply he is a choker.

Looking forward to seeing the Saints embarass him on Sunday. He deserves it.

He deserves it because he didn't fancy signing long term with a ****show organization like the Skins?

No, he deserves it for not having the balls to say so.

We all know Bruce Allen was dumb, but Kirk and his agent milked the Franchise tag dry and strung Bruce along whilst having no intention of signing a long term deal. He didn't have the balls to own it and say "I want to explore my options" though, or refuse to sign the tag like Josh Norman (who is a dumbass but at least an honest one).

I have no problem with Kirk wanting to go elsewhere, I have a problem with the way he conducted himself. It was dishonest and shady - The guy is just a **** who I have no respect for.

I know exactly what the Redskins have been under Snyder and wouldn't blame anyone for wanting out over the last decade or two. When you sit there and say its not about the money, you want to win, but keep signing the tag to stay with the Redskins and then demand the highest QB salary ever, fully guaranteed, there's a disconnect between what you say and what you do. I dont have an issue with anyone chasing the money either but if thats your MO then own it. Plenty of NFL free agents say they feel they deserve to be in the elite money conversation, so if thats what youre doing, own it, instead of coming out with laughable ****e like the below

image.png.c7673a95dd672924d8c1ab4bb6387227.png

39 minutes ago, kick it off said:

No, he deserves it for not having the balls to say so.

We all know Bruce Allen was dumb, but Kirk and his agent milked the Franchise tag dry and strung Bruce along whilst having no intention of signing a long term deal. He didn't have the balls to own it and say "I want to explore my options" though, or refuse to sign the tag like Josh Norman (who is a dumbass but at least an honest one).

I have no problem with Kirk wanting to go elsewhere, I have a problem with the way he conducted himself. It was dishonest and shady - The guy is just a **** who I have no respect for.

I know exactly what the Redskins have been under Snyder and wouldn't blame anyone for wanting out over the last decade or two. When you sit there and say its not about the money, you want to win, but keep signing the tag to stay with the Redskins and then demand the highest QB salary ever, fully guaranteed, there's a disconnect between what you say and what you do. I dont have an issue with anyone chasing the money either but if thats your MO then own it. Plenty of NFL free agents say they feel they deserve to be in the elite money conversation, so if thats what youre doing, own it, instead of coming out with laughable ****e like the below

image.png.c7673a95dd672924d8c1ab4bb6387227.png

Refusing to sign the tag is dumb- you don't get paid and you can't negotiate with another team unless the team withdraws the tag as happened with Norman. So you miss out on $$$ and likely see your value fall from not playing for a year.

23 minutes ago, king canary said:

Refusing to sign the tag is dumb- you don't get paid and you can't negotiate with another team unless the team withdraws the tag as happened with Norman. So you miss out on $$$ and likely see your value fall from not playing for a year.

Like I say, you either have the courage of your convictions or you don't. Refuse to sign the tag and say the only way you play is if you work out a long term deal and immediate trade scenario. Kirk got paid $20million the year before. Le'veon Bell held out at the same stage of his career and he'd only had 12mill of earnings at that point. Kirk doesn't own his actions. He's a mercenary. Which is fine. Lots of NFL players are. Bell is a mercenary but at least he owned it.

I don't have a problem with what Kirk did, I have a problem with the way he did it. He lied over and over again, and as soon as he went to the Vikings he admitted he'd spent 2.5 years lying. If he didn't want to be a Redskin, that's fine, if he didn't have any interest in signing a long term deal, that's fine, but don't spend 2.5 years lying about it and pretending you want a deal and to stay in Washington and cooking up some nonsense ****e about "God made me do it". Just say it how it is.

(For the record, I was anti-Kirk when he was in Washington as it was obvious he was full of ****. I wanted rid of him most of the time he was a Redskin too - this isn't sour grapes, I legitimately don't like the way he handles himself.)

Edited by kick it off

So on Saturday we’ll have our answer. My expectation is that Kirk Cousins will throw one touchdown and three interceptions....

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

So on Saturday we’ll have our answer. My expectation is that Kirk Cousins will throw one touchdown and three interceptions....

Both teams are vulnerable in the air wide out and funnily enough, Cousins has a decent record. Brees to Thomas will probably be key.

17 hours ago, Surfer said:

He's thrown 6 interceptions all year, I think you'd get decent odds on that happening.

Probably looking forward more to the Saints v Vikings game on Sunday. For a start it is on earlier and it is maybe the most evenly matched game.

Texans vs Bills was a really decent game yesterday and I've just seen Brady and the Patriots have been knocked out by the Titans. 

Good start to the playoffs!

Yeah, very happy to see the Patriots out. The Titans looked very good, no points allowed (or scored) in second half as their running game started to dominate the game. So despite their QB trying to lose the game they came through. 

As for Bills v Texans, sorry but that was very poor fare, and in that game the Bills QB did manage to lose the game for them. I don’t think the Texans will trouble their opponent next week based on that ... I was rather disappointed in the Bills tbh I thought they would be better, especially after being up by 16 points that was a poor 2nd half. 

Edited by Surfer

4 hours ago, Surfer said:

As for Bills v Texans, sorry but that was very poor fare

Poor quality but very entertaining

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Mad to win a playoff game with your qb throwing 70-80 yards. Glad the evil empire is out though.

You will always have a great chance of winning a playoff game if your running back gets almost 200 yards on the ground. More than one way to play this game, and the Titans played a very old school running game yesterday. 

Edited by Surfer

37 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Nervous @king canary ?

Not hugely- after all the injuries I never expected us to be in the post season so I'm pretty zen about what happens tonight.  Confidence levels are lower with Lane Johnson out though.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Love him or loathe Cousins, KIO, that was a hell of a pass in overtime. Don't worry though, Bosa will destroy him next week.

Clutch drive in overtime in the playoffs is a bit of a narrative killer for Cousins.

39 minutes ago, king canary said:

Clutch drive in overtime in the playoffs is a bit of a narrative killer for Cousins.

Fair dues, he played well and that was one hell of a throw. And that game WAS entertaining, I’m pleased for them to come through that, but if they turn over the Niners in San Francisco, then I will be properly impressed (and disappointed) 

55 minutes ago, king canary said:

Is it? Because he's now 8-30 vs 500+ teams? Because he won 1 playoff game (after failing to even make the playoffs last year with a stacked roster that Keenum took to the Conference game!!)?

Nah, sorry, still don't buy it.

It was a hell of a throw in OT, don't get me wrong but NO only tied it up because Kirk couldn't close it out after the Brees fumble. That should have been game over.

Kirk had a good game. It won't last though. He hasn't got it in him.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Wentz out with a concussion is very on brand for this Eagles season.

How has Ertz not even had a catch?

8 minutes ago, kick it off said:

How has Ertz not even had a catch?

He's barely playing- had a lacerated kidney two weeks ago, only taking very limited snaps.

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

He's barely playing- had a lacerated kidney two weeks ago, only taking very limited snaps.

Ouch, that sounds brutal. Much like this game, it's not a great watch!!

Garrett is gone from Dallas officially now

First game today and the Texans games were superb, but for the life of me that hit on Wentz was bad form, it was in my book late and international helmet to helmet hit and killed this as a game.

First game today and the Texans games were superb, but for the life of me that hit on Wentz was bad form, it was in my book late and international helmet to helmet hit and killed this as a game.

Watching slow mo it does look bad. At normal speed it looks less dramatic and more of a collision. I think the damage was done when Wentz head smashed into the turf.

32 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Watching slow mo it does look bad. At normal speed it looks less dramatic and more of a collision. I think the damage was done when Wentz head smashed into the turf.

Clowney will get fined for it as it was helmet to helmet. A 15 yard penalty wouldn't have changed much for us though.

No great surprise the Seahawks overcame the Eagles, just a bit surprising it took them so long, which is credit to the Eagles. 

Niners -  Vikings    Jimmy v Kirk, two decent QB's, so my money is on the Niners defense. 

Packers - Seattle   Aaron v Russel, two great QB's, so my money is on the frozen tundra.