kick it off

NFL Thread

Having lived in Texas there is little I'd like more than seeing the Niners destroy the Cowboys in Jerry's house. 

But we are just as likely to play at the equally pathetic Eagles. Or have a bye week as the NFC #1 seed 🙂

At least we won't be playing at the Redskins (sorry KIO). 

p.s. my Super Bowl pick Baltimore Ravens have beaten every divisional leader they have played except the Chiefs. And 11 - 2 with wins against the Niners, Seahawks, Rams, Texans, Patriots and Bills is a pretty impressive regular season resume. 

Which means they will lose against a wild card Patriots in the 2nd playoff round probably 🙂

Edited by Surfer

It is absurd that we're still in with a good chance of the play-offs but here we are.

A win is a win and is good to see Wentz playing some clutch football.

8 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Giants going to be spelled with a lower case g from now on

The Giants for me have played the “lucky old / boring Arsenal” role for many years - NFC Championship and Super Bowl wins against the Niners (twice) and Bills come to mind, so I’m rather pleased they are doing so poorly now. 

Edited by Surfer

20 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Now Niners must beat the Rams and Seahawks. If not they could end up a wild card and be non seeded behind the dreadful Cowboys.😡

Hey! You could be non-seeded behind the also dreadful Eagles!

Eagles run in is pathetically easy - (A) Redskins, (H) Cowboys and (A) Giants, three teams with 11 wins between them.

Cowboys have (H) Rams, (A) Eagles, (H) Redskins, three teams with 17 wins between them, so advantage Eagles...

(And yes you can still host a playoff game even with a losing record, your division rivals just have to suck worse) 

14 hours ago, Surfer said:

Eagles run in is pathetically easy - (A) Redskins, (H) Cowboys and (A) Giants, three teams with 11 wins between them.

Cowboys have (H) Rams, (A) Eagles, (H) Redskins, three teams with 17 wins between them, so advantage Eagles...

(And yes you can still host a playoff game even with a losing record, your division rivals just have to suck worse) 

It basically should come down to who wins in Eagles v Cowboys. However, we're so broken by injuries now I don't see us winning. 

We came into the game on Monday with only three healthy receivers, then Jeffrey got injured (likely for the season) so we played the game with two receivers. We also lost our starting right tackle. Jordan Howard still isn't healthy so we end up featuring Boston Scott who has barely taken a snap at this level. Earlier this season we had 4 of our 5 first choice CB's out injured. The season has been a total mess. In some ways, it is a miracle that we've stayed in touching distance.

No surprise the Ravens easily handled the Jets tonight, just a wonder that the Jets stick with Sam Darnold, or for that matter anyone in New York sticks with the Jets - London do you want a team?  Heathrow Jets sounds a cute name ....

Edited by Surfer
  • Haha 1

Ravens defence allowed the Jets to score better then anyone would have thought. But Jackson really did set the NFL alight last night. Unless defences can stop him at the scrimmage, he will gain the yards on the run and allow his RBs to block or move downfield and keep the LBs and Safetys busy.

This year is turning into a real stunner and for once, I doubt the Pats are favourites.

The AFC playoffs actually look interesting this season- Ravens, Chiefs, Pats, Texans, Steelers and even the Titans are all interesting teams right now.

Hoping for an eagles win tonight. Urban Meyer in Dan Snyder’s box tonight... probably nothing but ****  if we can lure Meyer into the pro league that would be a HUGE deal. I’d be really happy with him as the next coach. 

Newsflash - Terry Mclaurin is REALLYYYYYY ****ing good. He’s going to be an all pro sooner rather than later.

I've really got back into NFL this season. So many talented QBs, Lamar Jackson in particular is unreal. Chiefs looking good since Mahomes got back from injury too.

I'm obliged to follow the Pats (sorry everyone) as my grandmother was from Massachusetts, but I also follow the Packers because yellow and green (plus I have been to Wisconsin). I reckon Ravens will beat the Niners in the Superbowl this year.

Jimmy G not doing it for the Niners this week. Not good enough stats but at least they are assured of the playoffs.

The Ravens do look the strongest so far but I wonder how many SB winners have finished the regular season with the best stats and results. You need to be on top form going into close season

17 hours ago, kick it off said:

Good result all ways round here. Keeps us in the top 3 of the draft but we played relatively well.

Well whatever happens this season, I'm glad we swept the LOLSkins again this season. I believe we last lost this game in 2016.

Scared by how the Cowboys looked last night though- we have to win that but I'm not remotely confident.

Almost as good a choice between QB’s as the 49ers  management made - we passed up on two locally raised QB’s - Brady and Rodgers 😞 

We obviously would not have had both, but a succession of Montana, Young and Rodgers / Brady would have been out of this world good. 

Some good games this week and the most fascinating could be the Pats v Bills. A Bills win could take the division. And Vikings v Packers could be the same.

And the Skins v Giants for the wooden spoon in the worst division in the NFC.

Just hoping against hope that the Cardinals can do to the Seahawks what they did to the Niners.

6 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

And the Skins v Giants for the wooden spoon in the worst division in the NFC.

Praying that we lose this. This is exactly the kind of ****ty pointless game we win and costs us huge in the draft stakes. Imperative we lose this one due to draft implications.

My Bills have been impressive to say the least... If we could cap it off with a win against those dirty Cheatriots...that would taste sweet! Playoffs are a certainty , I would never have thought that @ beginning ot season tbh. I was thinking something in the line of a 9-7 season or an 8-8 ... rookies have impressed me and Josh Allen has shown he is an NFL QB now

Yes good to see the Bills back again. Some of the best playoff football ever involved the Bills in their incredible four years to the Super Bowl run and that amazing 32 point deficit overcome against the Houston Oilers. (and brutal carpet on concrete fields back then)

Weird to have (American) football on a Saturday but looking forward to watching the Pats and 49ers tonight. Definitely rooting for the bills to win, as everybody except the cheatriots hates the cheatriots. Given there's a few 49ers fans on the thread, I'm hoping to see them do well.

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy. Wow that was a mess of an offensive performance, fortunately at the end there that was a mess of a blown coverage. We will have to play a lot better than that, still back to #1 seed in the NFL for a few hours anyway. 

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy. Wow that was a mess of an offensive performance, fortunately at the end there that was a mess of a blown coverage. We will have to play a lot better than that, still back to #1 seed in the NFL for a few hours anyway. 

Fell asleep, just about to watch highlights.

That kick return in Q1 was a thing of beauty.

Looks like a helluva game tbf - Kittle and Higbee are both dominant forces, but it was the bomb to Sanders that proved critical. Jimmy made some really nice throws on the highlights, as did Goff to be fair to him.

Edited by kick it off

Jimmy doesn't fill me with thoughts that we have a SB winning QB. But on the other hand, the 49ers record with him starting since joining is good although not brilliant. Maybe he is lucky. His NFL rating is higher than his stats would suggest.

Seahawks will probably win today but the Niners will beat them next game and win the division.

The turn around has been similar to when CK was traded from the Broncos in 2011. Of course 2012 season ended losing a classic SB to the Ravens. Maybe its Kismet again.