kick it off

NFL Thread

4 hours ago, king canary said:

New season, same old Trubisky I see. Feel a bit sorry for Bears fans, that amazing defence is being hamstrung by mediocre qb play.

Offence looked toothless, defence was good enough...but you're playing Rodgers, he'll always find a pass.... I hoop Allen finds a few tomorrow

Just now, ROBFLECK said:

Offence looked toothless, defence was good enough...but you're playing Rodgers, he'll always find a pass.... I hoop Allen finds a few tomorrow

The most interesting thing is the Packers look like they have an actual legit defence- the first time in ages. 

I only watched the highlights but bears didn't look too bad on there.

It's a big one tonight with Redskins travelling to Eagles (Me vs King Canary). I'm not massively optimistic, but time will tell. Redskins have a legit defence for the first time in a long time. Derrius Guice is going to be an absolute beast at RB and we have massively upgraded at safety by slotting Landon Collins in on a free agent pick up, so there are some clear positives.

WR and QB look a bit meh on paper but may surprise.

Case Keenum is the starter (at QB) with Haskins waiting in the wings to take over mid-season. Both have been good in pre-season - Haskins has been flashier but also made quite a few errors with bonehead passes that have been intercepted. I think he'll be a very good QB though once he knocks out the rookie errors so long term the future is fairly bright on QB but this season may be a bit hit or miss.

WR - we cut Josh Doctson (1st round pick a few years ago) mainly because he has spent 4 years sucking and doing nothing useful. We haven't seen our 3rd round pick - WR Terry McLaurin - from this year AT ALL in pre-season. Zero snaps.... Lots of rumours they are keeping him under wraps because they think he is going to BLOW UP this year. He's #1 receiver on the depth chart despite not playing a snap so there's a lot of expectation on him from the fanbase as we don't really know what to expect, but clearly the coaches have loved what they've seen out of him. We have a talented young WR group, but the only one with ANY real experience is Paul Richardson. The rest are all rookies or second year players that have been injured through year 1. Steven Sims is the other guy to watch in this group - not down to start on the depth chart but will see some looks in rotation... he has flashed all pre-season and training camp with some big time plays.

Our RB group is stacked with Guice, Adrian Peterson, Chris Thompson leading the line with Wendell Smallwood (ex-eagle) backing up Thompson. Smallwood has played well against us in the past but will be cut when Bryce Love gets healthy later in the season (and my god when Love is healthy we'll have possibly the best RB stable in the league).

Our biggest problem will be Offensive Line. Trent Williams is still holding out - we picked up Donald Penn to start at LT but he's struggled in pre-season - he isn't the perennial pro-bowler he was a few years ago. LG is always a problem for us and the latest experiment to plug the gap is Ereck Flowers who has sucked just as much for us as he did for NYG - we do have a talented 4th rounder (Wes Martin) who will fill that gap later in the season but Flowers is projected starter at the moment so I'd be surprised if he didn't start the first few games at least, which sucks because he's a turnstyle. People just get past him with little to no resistance.

Lot of Redskins fans expecting to come out the first 5 games without a single victory. I'm not quite so pessimistic but we have a tough opening run for sure. There are lots of unknowns with the Skins at the moment so it will be interesting to see how they fare. Not looking forward to playing against DJax again (love that dude) but McLaurin ran the 40 at the combine faster than DJax - Like I say, lots of expectation resting on McLaurin.

**** the Eagles.

Hail to the Redskins.

Edited by kick it off

49ers must keep Jimmy Garropolo fit for 16 games. Then they may well get a couple more. The US bookmakers are giving them a chance of making a wild card spot.

If Jimmy can get past 4000 yards then there is a slight chance. The roster has changed a bit but those in the know seem to think they have recruited quite well. 

Betting is fairly even for their opener at Tampa.

Dolphins to win this year! By losing lots of games with plan to rise again the next season or two. Only why hasn't this worked the last few decades?

Must beat the Patriots.

Woooooo - Skins were 10 point underdogs for the game today. 13 points up at the half. Whatever happens second half, the Skins have shown that they are ready to compete with everybody this year.  This WR crew looks real nice, Mclaurin is freaking awesome. Big blow losing Jon Allen but hopeful it's not serious. Flowers and Penn anchoring the left side of the OL have been surprisinglyu stout. Come on Redskins, keep grinding.

Edited by kick it off

34 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Woooooo - Skins were 10 point underdogs for the game today. 13 points up at the half. Whatever happens second half, the Skins have shown that they are ready to compete with everybody this year.  This WR crew looks real nice, Mclaurin is freaking awesome. Big blow losing Jon Allen but hopeful it's not serious. Flowers and Penn anchoring the left side of the OL have been surprisinglyu stout. Come on Redskins, keep grinding.

😁😁😁😁

On a more serious note...

Redskins have been much better than expected, Eagles defence making me concerned. How is DeSean Jackson still faster than everyone else at 33?

Also these new Jets uniforms are beautiful.

11 hours ago, kick it off said:

Eurgh. Business as usual. Abysmal second half.

I think the Skins can take a lot of heart from that though- I had you down to be in contention for 1st overall pick but that defence looks feisty and there is some spark on offence.

From an Eagles perspective, Wentz looked like his pre-injury, MVP run self which bodes well but the secondary is a concern.

Oh yesss, seen them Bills? Comeback from 16-0 down and after a 4 turnover first half. This teams defense will be something to be reckoned with and offense is picking up...circle the wagons #GoBills

A few thoughts from watching Redzone last night...

-Chiefs look scary already but what has happened to this Jags D? They used to be a top unit but seem to have fallen off a cliff end of last season and now yesterday.

-Jameis Winston will never be a franchise QB- same player every year, boneheaded decisions leading to turnovers.

-Browns should be doing everything they can do to trade for Trent Williams otherwise this line is going to destroy their chances this season.

4 hours ago, king canary said:

-Browns should be doing everything they can do to trade for Trent Williams otherwise this line is going to destroy their chances this season.

I really want rid of the Trent albatross. The dude has been a great Redskin and whatever his issues with the Skins are, I do think they are now irreconcilable. If we can get a 1st for him then we should be biting the hand off anyone offering it.

Slightly depressing to think Cam Newton might already be shot age 30.

Take his ability with his legs out of the equation and you've got a below-average QB with accuracy issues and a bum shoulder. He might recover some of his scrambling but if the Panthers have to try and turn him into a pocket passer then he's on borrowed time.

On 08/09/2019 at 19:40, kick it off said:

Woooo that first half was a serious false dawn. We will be picking in the top 2 this season. We’re worse than Miami and they’re trying to lose on purpose 😂😂 2 wins if we get lucky, twice. Genuinely could be historically bad 0-16

Mclaurin and our punter tress way are our only two good players 

Edited by kick it off

51 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Woooo that first half was a serious false dawn. We will be picking in the top 2 this season. We’re worse than Miami and they’re trying to lose on purpose 😂😂 2 wins if we get lucky, twice. Genuinely could be historically bad 0-16

Mclaurin and our punter tress way are our only two good players 

Yeah it seems like you guys came out of the gates fast. Haskins now in though!

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Yeah it seems like you guys came out of the gates fast. Haskins now in though!

Haskins looking good tbf. Can’t be any worse than Keenum. Gruden is so gone after this season. Manusky might be gone after today. Mclaurin played with Haskins at Ohio so cant wait to see them playing together (mclaurin injured today).

Patriots next week. They’re going to feast on us.

EDIT - Haskins stopped looking so good second half - I don't blame him though, had no first team reps etc

Edited by kick it off

Oh man the Redskins went downhill fast 🤣

Also funny to see the Cowboys struggle as soon as the play some decent teams.

Biggest surprise has got to be the 49'ers being 4-0 at this point though.

On 08/10/2019 at 09:10, king canary said:

Oh man the Redskins went downhill fast 🤣

Also funny to see the Cowboys struggle as soon as the play some decent teams.

Biggest surprise has got to be the 49'ers being 4-0 at this point though.

I'm fully on board with a tank season - even if we're doing it by accident!! 

Watched some GB vs Dallas - Packers look legit contenders this year. I like them so I'm rooting for them to win - I want Redskins to lose out now - get some serious draft capital and start the damn rebuild. So sick of mediocrity. 

Sad to see Gruden go, he's a good dude - and not the problem. Bruce Allen is STILL the damn problem. Can't wait to see the back of that dumbass.

Kinda surprised you've dropped 2 games already - unfortunately Eagles are looking really good this season. Amazing what can happen when you have a real GM instead of Bruce in the front office,

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

I'm fully on board with a tank season - even if we're doing it by accident!! 

Watched some GB vs Dallas - Packers look legit contenders this year. I like them so I'm rooting for them to win - I want Redskins to lose out now - get some serious draft capital and start the damn rebuild. So sick of mediocrity. 

Sad to see Gruden go, he's a good dude - and not the problem. Bruce Allen is STILL the damn problem. Can't wait to see the back of that dumbass.

Kinda surprised you've dropped 2 games already - unfortunately Eagles are looking really good this season. Amazing what can happen when you have a real GM instead of Bruce in the front office,

Allen and Snyder are a dumpster fire- not sure how many people will really want that job. It would be hillarious if the Dolphins full on tank doesn't get them the 1st pick though.

We've had quite a few injuries- the loss to Detroit now looks OK as they look very good but the loss to the Falcons stings. Once we get DJax back and the corners get healthy we'll be fine.

On 08/09/2019 at 05:34, keelansgrandad said:

49ers must keep Jimmy Garropolo fit for 16 games. Then they may well get a couple more. The US bookmakers are giving them a chance of making a wild card spot.

If Jimmy can get past 4000 yards then there is a slight chance. The roster has changed a bit but those in the know seem to think they have recruited quite well. 

Betting is fairly even for their opener at Tampa.

Looking good so isn't it KG? And Jimmy isn't playing particularly well just yet. This team reminds me of Cowboys and Giants and Harbaugh's Super Bowl teams - great defenses and really good offense lines. My main worry is Jusiak's injury now, he seems key to our running game, Jimmy G will come good.

Looking good so isn't it KG? And Jimmy isn't playing particularly well just yet. This team reminds me of Cowboys and Giants and Harbaugh's Super Bowl teams - great defenses and really good offense lines. My main worry is Jusiak's injury now, he seems key to our running game, Jimmy G will come good.

The defensive line is looking powerful particularly Bosa and they are stopping the run and keeping opponents to under a hundred yards.

Juszczyk, Witherspoon and McGlinchey wil be missedand they may have to trade if the injuries pile up.

As you say Jimmy G isn't nailing it yet but it is still a bonus that so far he has avoided injury.

But the biggest shock was Robbie Gould missing field goals. He is probably the most reliable kicker at the moment but Sunday was a real shock to the system.

Loest price Ram's tickets have suddenly jumped from $28 to $130 as the Niner's are coming to town. 

Remember when Mick Luckhurst fronted the NFL show. Used to say the Wrams were playing the Wraiders

And then they had two numpties who called Saints QB Bobby Herbert (pronounced aybear0 as Bobby erbert.

49ers allowed a running touchdown. Disgraceful sack Saleh for that. Offense showed how to handle a game with a good running game and good Tight End.

I am dreaming of a 49ers/Patriots Superbowl at the moment.

Depressing night for the Eagles, looked awful v the Vikings. At least we didn't lose to the Jets though, poor Dallas!

Interesting to see the Skins win the loser bowl.

35 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

To be fair to the Dolphins, they went for a two point conversion to try and win the game

I imagine the Dolphins ownership/GM were delighted when they failed with it.

5 hours ago, king canary said:

Depressing night for the Eagles, looked awful v the Vikings. At least we didn't lose to the Jets though, poor Dallas!

Depressing to see us win the "Toilet bowl".

Nobody is convincing me that Miami didn't throw that f***ing game.

When you've lost 4 in a row and you have a chance to tie and go to overtime or flip a coin on a win/loss scenario, you take the tie. Fitzpatrick would have done for us in OT and the Dolphins knew it.

Typical Redskins though - whatever the scenario, they will f*** it up and come out with the result that harms them the most. Like clockwork.