kick it off

NFL Thread

It's that day. Preparations have already begun in earnest in Atlanta. Come on LA, beat the cheatriots.

jgM1RoDPd_D3RmEKIKu8pC7XdMcm5N4OOwvhFgXCxwg.jpg?auto=webp&s=1d6dcb128d524b32c081250645e71f78c8f6f16d

Edited by kick it off

Sorry KIO, but I am going for the Patriots. I still feel sorry for the Saints and I have virtually always wanted an NFC team to win for some strange reason. But in this case I will go for the Pats to win by two scores. So a spread between 6 and 14.

Why would you want the Patriots to win again? This is a changing of the guard. Belichick/Brady era is over - time for the McVay/Goff era to begin.

Why would you want the Patriots to win again? This is a changing of the guard. Belichick/Brady era is over - time for the McVay/Goff era to begin

To have maintained their success in a sport where the authorities do everything to stop you continuously winning, makes them as special as the Yankees, All Blacks, Barcelona, Ed Moses, Jahangir Khan.

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Why would you want the Patriots to win again? This is a changing of the guard. Belichick/Brady era is over - time for the McVay/Goff era to begin

To have maintained their success in a sport where the authorities do everything to stop you continuously winning, makes them as special as the Yankees, All Blacks, Barcelona, Ed Moses, Jahangir Khan.

I don't dispute what they have done has been exceptional. They've maintained a position at the top of a sport designed specifically to avoid dynasties... Total respect for their accomplishments however, I'm bored of this dynasty and ready to see a new chapter in the sport. Plus Sean McVay is a former Redskin, and likely to be one of very few connections between the Redskins and a superbowl for several years so I'm rooting hard for him to succeed. He's a very classy guy, and a very sharp footballing mind. Big future ahead of him.

Boring game, but it was alway close and tense with the great defensive battles. Clearly the Patriots offensive was able to best deal with it taking the early time outs to adjust and managed to move the football more. Goff looked out his depth as the pressure mounted and this led to the Rams defense getting tired towards the 4th where you know Brady will be coming for ya. Key moment Jason McCourty stopping the touchdown late in the 3rd.

Probably the worst Superbowl I've ever watched.

Grudging respect to the Pats but god that was dull. 

Nice to see Goff being exposed for what he actually is though- an average QB who can't make things happen without his coach in his ear.

Draft Week!

Bloody love the draft.

Does Kyler Murray go 1st overall?

Do the Giants actually draft a QB?

Does Rosen get traded?

What will the Raiders do with their 3 first rounders?

On 23/04/2019 at 13:06, king canary said:

Draft Week!

Bloody love the draft.

Does Kyler Murray go 1st overall?

Do the Giants actually draft a QB?

Does Rosen get traded?

What will the Raiders do with their 3 first rounders?

Only just spotted this - I also am a big fan of the draft.

Redskins have killed it imo. Picking up Haskins to solve our QB issue, and then following up with insane value on Montez Sweat and picking up one of Haskins boys to play WR in the 3rd. Love all 3 of those moves. McLaurin has the kind of speed we need badly to open up our passing game, and the fact he's a high character guy who played with our new QB is just a bonus.

I think Haskins will be a stud - dude is unbelievably smart. Lacks mobility but as a pure pocket passer, his accuracy and read of the field is incredibly well developed. He remind me of Big Ben.

Sweat is just a physical freak. Still can't believe we got him, especially late in the first.

Murray will be a bust. Hate to say it because I like the kid and he's so dynamic but he's just so damn small he won't be able to see over an NFL O-line. He'll be a serviceable back up but he ain't going to do much damage as a starter imo. Hope I wrong though, like I said, I think he's a good kid.

Also ranking high on the Bust-o-meter is Daniel Jones. What the actual **** was Gettleman thinking taking him at 6. He wasn't even very good in college, and Gettleman could have had him wayyyyy deeper down the board - should have traded down even if he is sold on him. They've bought into the fact he's been to the Manning off-season programme, there's nothing else going in his favour. Ridiculous waste of such a high pick, when they quite possibly could have got him in the second.

Rosen gone and thankfully not to the Redskins. That dude was bad last season. Yes, mitigating factors such as his whole team stunk up the joint but there's a reason AZ are moving on so quickly and no other NFL team wanted him (NYG and WAS choosing to draft rather than get involved in a trade). AZ got really good value with that trade given that they had literally zero leverage whatsoever.

I don't really care about the other two Raiders first rounders, didn't think they got good value if I'm honest. 3 First rounders should be a franchise changing draft and I don't think it was anything close to that. I do love the pick of Josh Jacobs though. Kid is a great football player and a legit threat in the passing game. That was a good value pick and I'm just so damn happy for JJ that he went early. He had a really rough deal - he was homeless during high school, spent his first few months of college sleeping on his dorm room floor because he was so used to roughing it that he found it more comfortable than sleeping in a bed. His kid was born hours after he committed to the Crimson Tide. Great write up of his story here: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2806367-alabama-running-back-josh-jacobs-is-living-the-impossible-dream

Annoyingly I have to agree with you that Washington have had a great draft. Sweat is a potential pro bowler, Haskins is probably the best QB in the draft and I think Bryce Love could be incredible if healthy.

Pleased with the Eagles picks so far- Howie has done an incredible job in the offseason to fill the short term holes in the roster and let us truly add best player available.

I think Rosen could be a success and the Dolphins have got a great chance to look at him on a super cheap deal. Arizona stunk and that o-line gave Rosen zero chance.

The Giants draft has been hilarious. Taking Jones at 6 was bad enough but Lawrence is just a big run stuffer with no pass rush- essentially a worse version of Snacks Harrison who they traded away.

Edited by king canary

I have to agree to be fair. I hate that the Eagles are now good at drafting but you seem to have an annoyingly competent scouting dept. 

Dillard is a really good player and great value at the spot you got him. I think having him sit behind Peters for a year is ideal really - that's a good pick and the perfect situation to parachute him in to.

I like Sanders a lot but I don't understand why you drafted him. You have a ridiculously stacked RB corps as it is. Seemed like a bit of a wasted pick to me, particularly combining that with Dillard who is a fantastic pass-pro guy but struggles a bit with run blocking. I dunno, you probably know more than I do about it, and maybe there's a plan in place but I thought there was better picks on the board at that point in time. I don't question Sanders as a player at all - the kid is legit, I just don't follow the logic in taking him. 

Loved the Whiteside pick - I was hoping we'd be able to snag him if I'm honest - really like that kid.

I'm not all that familiar with Shareef, but I think Thorsen was a nice pick for a developmental QB. Think he has a decent shot at sticking around as a backup.

Love was a steal for us if he gets his speed back after the ACL. We actually seem to have started drafting for the future. AP is old, and Chris Thompson perma-hurt and out of contract at the end of the year. Doubt Love sees the field this year, but a backfield that contains Guice and Love could be freaking deadly from 2020 onwards.

Edited by kick it off

On 28/04/2019 at 00:25, kick it off said:

like Sanders a lot but I don't understand why you drafted him. You have a ridiculously stacked RB corps as it is. Seemed like a bit of a wasted pick to me, particularly combining that with Dillard who is a fantastic pass-pro guy but struggles a bit with run blocking. I dunno, you probably know more than I do about it, and maybe there's a plan in place but I thought there was better picks on the board at that point in time. I don't question Sanders as a player at all - the kid is legit, I just don't follow the logic in taking him. 

We're a committee backfield and we're not very stacked really. Howard is a useful guy on a one year rental, Adams has potential to be decent, Smallwood is very meh and Sproles is a free agent. I'm excited for Sanders.

On 27/04/2019 at 17:06, kick it off said:

Rosen gone and thankfully not to the Redskins. That dude was bad last season. Yes, mitigating factors such as his whole team stunk up the joint but there's a reason AZ are moving on so quickly and no other NFL team wanted him (NYG and WAS choosing to draft rather than get involved in a trade). AZ got really good value with that trade given that they had literally zero leverage whatsoever.

That bad? I looked at his first season stats. Signing him doesn't look that good a move. Dolphins fan.

Edited by KiwiScot

12 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

That bad? I looked at his first season stats. Signing him doesn't look that good a move. Dolphins fan.

He's a natural pocket passer type player so was always going to fail stuck behind a woefully undermanned offensive line in Arizona.

The question is, is the situation in Miami any better for him? I'm not sure.

3 hours ago, king canary said:

He's a natural pocket passer type player so was always going to fail stuck behind a woefully undermanned offensive line in Arizona.

The question is, is the situation in Miami any better for him? I'm not sure.

A bit of googling and it seems yes Miami Offensive is one of the worst in the league. I'm surprised we won so many games then last season. One article said we were so bad that it not be any different for him and also they expect the dolphins to do so bad, that they already say Rosen will be replaced by the 2020 number one draft pick. Very much pie in the sky and headline grabbing media in my opinion. We'll beat the patriots you'll see

Edited by KiwiScot

Aha what a good idea, I remember there being the odd topic about the NFL on the main discussion. Even on the old official canaries message board.

I am a 49ers fan, having been a fan since 1988. First game was the 1992 America Bowl at Wembley. Been out to the old candlestick park and lived in the US watching NFL, NBA, NHL and all NCAA sport. The HOF in Canton is a superb museum and I do have a Steve Young jersey from the museum.

Red zone and game passes coverage is a joy and I have to say from August through to the end of the reg season I do watch 5 games a week.

In fact interesting today we are discussing recruitment and our scouting teams when we know during the draft many players at the combine had unusual methods to get to know the character of the man.

With the Seahawks releasing Baldwin and chancellor it is a big change to a NFC West team. So next year be happy to see some offensive production through a fit Jimmy G, kittle, Coleman and McKinnon.

Defensively, obviously gone pass rush over a partner for Sherman.

But what a draft this year, with great prospects through to the middle of round 2.

Now fixtures are out it is interesting to see where teams will be early and mid season.

So many teams to enjoy this year.

• Like 1

I am a big Buffalo Bills fan. I saw them play live when I was a young fellow ... been a fan since... Not the most fashionable team , but they did sign some good players in the draft!

One more thing...I really , really hate the Patriots...

Oh Rob Fleck you could have been the team of 90's. Great unique fan base, players like Kelly, Reed, Thomas, Bennett and Bruce Smith are true legends. Of course had Takeo Spikes before the miners brought him in. Just a team for real fans.

This season a lot of people think the right moves are being made, we will see but always a club I want to do well.

Love the odd snow game too.

• Like 1

Hate spell check, niners not miners

Really decent additions in the draft by the bills. It is a long wait for the season.

Hopefully going out for a game near Thanksgiving, 49ers Vs Green Bay.

TBH it is the Dallas Cowboys for me that I want every team to beat.

39 minutes ago, smooth said:

Oh Rob Fleck you could have been the team of 90's. Great unique fan base, players like Kelly, Reed, Thomas, Bennett and Bruce Smith are true legends. Of course had Takeo Spikes before the miners brought him in. Just a team for real fans.

This season a lot of people think the right moves are being made, we will see but always a club I want to do well.

Love the odd snow game too.

Yeah, it was a great experience, they lost their second superbowl in a row that season... fan base is awesome and I liked the city. I saw them play ... Kelly , Bennett, Bruce Smith... Circle the wagon, #gobills

But the pundits and the national media don't really like the team. It's all about the Giants , the Cowboys and the Pats...

I like the 49ers too , great team , great franchise and what about their team in the eighties!!! Joe Montana is a contender to be the 🐐 imo

Quite like both the Bills and the 49ers tbf. Lot of links between my Redskins and the niners too - Shanny Jr at the helm in SF and Vernon Davis and Alex Smith on our roster (although I'll be surprised if AS ever plays football again - horrific injury). Think we can all unite in the universal hatred of the Cowgirls.

Some early division winner predictions...

AFC East- Pats, no explanation needed

AFC North- feels wide open but maybe it is finally the Browns year with the Steelers in disarray and the Bengals being the Bengals still.

AFC West- Chiefs. 12 win team last season and they've got a great roster. If the Chiefs have to move on from Tyreek Hill I can see them dropping off.

AFC South- Colts. Quietly building one of the best rosters in the entire NFL right now.

NFC East- Eagles. Giants are in limbo, Redskins in transition. Cowboys are the biggest threat but if Wentz plays a full season I think the Eagles have to be the favourites.

NFC North- Going to say the Bears again but it could be anyone. Packers look weaker than ever on offence but the defence has been improved, the Vikings were hamstrung by woeful line play last season so unless that improves they won't go anywhere and the Lions just seem permanently meh. I'm not a huge Trubisky fan but the Bears D is legit.

NFC West- Rams again surely? I know they laid an egg in the Superbowl but that roster is stacked.

NFC South- Falcons. They invested heavily in their O-line, have some excellent receiver depth and should have key defensive players back from injury. 

On 11/05/2019 at 15:07, king canary said:

Some early division winner predictions...

AFC East- Pats, no explanation needed

Oh it would be so sweet if that weren't the truth...(as a Bills fan you can but dream...)

Many Americans have asked wtf has happened to parity in the NFL? One of the reasons why the college games have become even more popular than the NFL itself. Americans hate predictability in their sports...

Yet ... tbf ...Pats have the same means and rules to follow , so they must be doing something right. 

16 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Oh it would be so sweet if that weren't the truth...(as a Bills fan you can but dream...)

Many Americans have asked wtf has happened to parity in the NFL? One of the reasons why the college games have become even more popular than the NFL itself. Americans hate predictability in their sports...

Yet ... tbf ...Pats have the same means and rules to follow , so they must be doing something right. 

They just seem to be smarter than the rest and a step ahead of most other franchises.

Obviously having a GOAT QB on a team friendly deal helps but they roster build better than anyone, understand the value of trades and have made themselves the most desirable destination for players who want that elusive ring. 

On field they are so well drilled- they rarely give up the kind of killer pre snap penalties that curse lesser franchises, don't often bust coverages and are skilled in exploiting match ups.

I imagine they will have a post Belicheck slump in the manner of Man U after Ferguson.

New season, same old Trubisky I see. Feel a bit sorry for Bears fans, that amazing defence is being hamstrung by mediocre qb play.

• Like 1