kick it off

NFL Thread

Yeah hes one of the very few eagles players to receive a superbowl ring right? How many times have you won it again?

You were about an 8th of an inch from watching it without your team in it so i wouldnt crow too loudly. Im probably going to enjoy it more than usual to be honest. Its boring when your just watching the Saints and Rams obliterate random teams. Far more fun when its your rivals.

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Yeah hes one of the very few eagles players to receive a superbowl ring right? How many times have you won it again?

You were about an 8th of an inch from watching it without your team in it so i wouldnt crow too loudly. Im probably going to enjoy it more than usual to be honest. Its boring when your just watching the Saints and Rams obliterate random teams. Far more fun when its your rivals.

As much as I love the attempted smack talk, the LolSkins are really not in a strong position to give it out. Not made it past the wildcard since 2005 isn't it?

I'd much rather get obliterated in the divisional round than not be a part of it for the 13th straight season.

Funny how you fluke one superbowl and think youre big shots. No doubt we dont have much to shout about at the moment but you scraped a wildcard spot and scraped through a wildcard round. Hardly anything to shout from the rooftops about... not that it will stop you im sure, but you dont seem to realise how silly it sounds. You didnt even win a weak division. Sure we suck, im a redskins fan, im kinda used to it... but you also suck, just less than we do.

Edited by kick it off

15 hours ago, kick it off said:

Funny how you fluke one superbowl and think youre big shots. No doubt we dont have much to shout about at the moment but you scraped a wildcard spot and scraped through a wildcard round. Hardly anything to shout from the rooftops about... not that it will stop you im sure, but you dont seem to realise how silly it sounds. You didnt even win a weak division. Sure we suck, im a redskins fan, im kinda used to it... but you also suck, just less than we do.

I don't think we're big shots, I'm just somewhere between amused and bored by your constant attempts to bait me on this thread. The Eagles may not be the New England Patriots but I'd much rather be us than the Washington Football Team.

On 13/01/2019 at 00:03, kick it off said:

Well there goes my shot at a full house for predictions this week. 

Called the other 3 though.

I'll take Chiefs vs Saints Superbowl. Kansas to win it all.

Edited by kick it off
changed my mind about superbowl victor

Well, that was a bit of a disappointing weekend of football. 4 games that looked great on paper and only 1 had any real drama. Pats v Chargers was particularly underwhelming, total no show by the Bolts.

I think the conference games will be more interesting though. I guess the Pats are like Marmite but in a sport where no franchise is expected to create a dynasty (which ironically goes against the American dream) they have done so and they still have to be respected and the Chiefs will still have to be on the best to topple them. And I can't really separate the Rams or Saints. Pity the second game will be starting so late.

5 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think the conference games will be more interesting though. I guess the Pats are like Marmite but in a sport where no franchise is expected to create a dynasty (which ironically goes against the American dream) they have done so and they still have to be respected and the Chiefs will still have to be on the best to topple them. And I can't really separate the Rams or Saints. Pity the second game will be starting so late.

No doubt the pats have achieved something incredible but I remember feeling the same about late 90's/early 2000 Man U- boring to watch the same team win all the time.

On 14/01/2019 at 20:22, king canary said:

No doubt the pats have achieved something incredible but I remember feeling the same about late 90's/early 2000 Man U- boring to watch the same team win all the time.

For me at one point when the Champions league really only had one English team in it then it was almost tradition to watch them every year trying to win the thing which they finally did. Annoying as the Patriots are in constantly being successful and always winning the AFC East division its become tradition. They have been in 4 of the last 7 superbowls winning 2 of them, but you know what I feel is. You may dislike them always being there, but when they win they put in a great performance and when they lose its more amazing for the winning team. I'm come not to mind the Patriots getting to the Superbowl.

Great Belichick documentary on Sky. Some of the documentaries on there give a great insight into what a real coach does. Yes they have to have come through the ranks with their technical ability but it is the way they handle their players and staffers that makes great coaches.

Someone like Ditka may have had a great team (or was it Buddy Ryan's defense) but his manner when talking to anyone prevents him from creating dynasties like a Belichick, Landry or Walsh.

Watching them dismantle the Chargers it is difficult not to give grudging respect to the coaching team. McDaniels in particular called a perfect game, nullified one of the most dangerous pass rushing duos in the game and moved the ball with ease.

It would be nice just for once to see one of Miami, Buffalo or NYJ get their act together and give them an actual challenge though.

Predictions for tonight? Both total coin flip games

I'm going to say Chiefs v Rams in the superbowl.

Pats aren't the same team on the road although they do have the best coaching around. 

Equally I see McVey scheming up something special for tonight and seeing off the Saints.

So what do we know? Although I must say I think the Rams were the better team overall, that should have been a penalty at the death and it is all over for the Rams. Shame that officials can be the reason a team doesn't get to the Superbowl. Haven't seen the Pats game. It was way too late.

Brady is incredible but I'm not looking forward to seeing them in the Superbowl again.

I'd like the Rams to win but that blown call by the refs was horrible. It seems so easy to have thinks like that reviewable as it could be corrected pretty damn swiftly.

I'd like the Rams to win but that blown call by the refs was horrible. It seems so easy to have thinks like that reviewable as it could be corrected pretty damn swiftly.

Commentator said that they review it in the CFL. Seems the obvious choice in the sense of fairness. Blatant pass interference. And even if he hadn't caught it, it would still have been half distance and the end of the game. All credit to the Rams though for their last drive and a kick that was still rising over the posts.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Commentator said that they review it in the CFL. Seems the obvious choice in the sense of fairness. Blatant pass interference. And even if he hadn't caught it, it would still have been half distance and the end of the game. All credit to the Rams though for their last drive and a kick that was still rising over the posts.

Thing is, if he just turns around rather than blasting the receiver he probably catches a game winning interception.

You can always get a good idea of the totally obvious ones because they get put up on screen and the crowd reacts. 

Rams to wear their old Royal blue and yellow uniform. Never been a fan of it, but no big deal. C'mon the Ram(or a Patriots mircale comeback).

How is everyone watching the main event. We'll be gathering in NFL jersey at a mates to enjoy Pizza then the big game. I've got a Superbowl drinking game which after last year(which completely floored me) has been drastically altered from one shot per score and turnover to 4 shots max.

Brady, Edelman and Gronkowski to star in one of the best attacking Superbowls in history I reckon.

Always had a leaning to NFC teams so I should go for the Rams but they are in the 49ers division so I don't have much love for them.

13 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Rams to wear their old Royal blue and yellow uniform. Never been a fan of it, but no big deal. 

Whaaaaaat? It is soooo much better than their current uniform.

I think the Pats will take it but hope I'm wrong. Loved Sean McVay when he was a Redskin, and really wish we'd had the balls to appoint him as HC. I know he has some serious talent to work with in LA, but the guy is just an offensive genius and a really good guy too. Lot of time for him. Massive respect for Belichick and Brady but I am so bored of seeing them in the superbowl it's untrue.

I've been reading up to improve my NFL knowledge. I already know how the scoring works, downs and a few general things, but been reading about the positions and hope to read some more about Tactics. Anyone recommended something I should read or know?

10 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

I've been reading up to improve my NFL knowledge. I already know how the scoring works, downs and a few general things, but been reading about the positions and hope to read some more about Tactics. Anyone recommended something I should read or know?

Penalties are a big part of the game and can massively influence the outcomes, so it is worth learning what they are given for, and what the punishment is. it can be a very confusing game if you don't understand this part of it. 

Haha it is indeed. Wonder if they might postpone it in light of the weather a lot of people are experiencing. I know Atlanta has escaped the worst of it but 90million americans are facing -17 or worse with some parts of the country dealing with -50C weather. 

Haha it is indeed. Wonder if they might postpone it in light of the weather a lot of people are experiencing. I know Atlanta has escaped the worst of it but 90million americans are facing -17 or worse with some parts of the country dealing with -50C weather. 

Good job they haven't built that wall yet. That would be some snowdrift.

The stadium, now I have seen it empty, is magnificent. And the roof closing like a camera lens is almost science fiction.