kick it off

NFL Thread

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

You won a superbowl last year with two rapists and a woman beater starting... Jesus Christ, think about it a little bit. Reuben Foster has not played a down for the Redskins and won't do so unless he is cleared of the allegations (allegations from a woman who already admitted to making previous false allegations for money incidentally). I have no idea whether RF is guilty or not, but he won't play for the Redskins unless he is cleared so that's kind of a weak argument to make. Especially when you started Jalen Mills, Jordan Hicks and Agholor in the SB.

And ultimately, this is an NFL wide problem - you can find at least one or two Domestic Violence or similar cases on every NFL roster unfortunately. You don't often find a Quarterback who goes dogfighting or a RB who beats women and dogs to within an inch of their life though. Well not outside the Eagles anyway.

Regardless of the actual teams, which we have no control over, you are part of a fanbase that deliberately pukes on children, and throws beer cans at innocent people. Redskins fans don't do that s***.

You're right it is an NFL wide problem. I just find lectures on class tough to take from a fan of a team literally named after a racial slur.

27 minutes ago, king canary said:

You're right it is an NFL wide problem. I just find lectures on class tough to take from a fan of a team literally named after a racial slur.

Which in context wasn't a racial slur at the time it was conceived, nor even as recently as 15 years was it considered a racial slur by a vast majority of native Americans... https://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/most-indians-say-name-of-washington-redskins-is-acceptable-while-9-percent-call-it-offensive/ ... Nor even in fact as recently as 2 years ago https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html?utm_term=.ab12023bbdf1 In fact, in 1977, 45 years after the team name was changed, hundreds of native americans from over 80 tribes took to the field at halftime in a celebration of native american culture.

It's pretty similar to the banning of Fairytale of New York due to it being retrospectively being deemed offensive. So you can suck up all the media hype that you like, but I've said I will happily accept the team changing it's name, if it's offensive, but it's not even clear that it is particularly offensive.... so we're a name-change away from being acceptable as a franchise in your eyes...  unfortunately, you can't change the fact that significant swathes of your fanbase are absolute scumbags and dickheads who deliberately puke on children and assault people for no reason.

One more game Minny.

9 hours ago, king canary said:

Play offs here we come!

I hope you get utterly destroyed by the Bears. Another home game too so the Bears fans get to walk the gauntlet of your scummy fans throwing stuff at them and trying to injure them. Lucky them!

Anyway. Some great last 2 minute warning plays and a decent end to the regular season.

Interesting that there are 6 QB's, each earning over 20 million dollars a season who are not in the playoffs. Garropollo does have an excuse of course.

Mahomes looks fearless and well capable but with the threat of New England's experience at this stage, I think it may well be a Patriots v Saints SuperBowl

Think Alex Smith also kind of has an excuse tbf KG - A fracture of Tibia and Fibula with the bone sticking out through the skin, surgery and then infection requiring a month in hospital and 6 more surgeries is a fairly good reason! 😉

I don't think the Pats will make it this season. Historically they've relied heavily on Gronk in the playoffs, and I hate to say it but I think Gronk is washed up, his play is deteriorating rapidly. They're not the team they were a few years ago.

My pick for Superbowl is the Saints vs either Chiefs or Ravens.

Wildcard round predictions:

Dvt88WbWsAErMSl.jpg:large

Colts over Texans - I don't think the Texans are all that great despite their record and Colts have been like a juggernaut after a bad start - they've won 9 out of last 10 games.

Baltimore over LA - I don't rate Philip Rivers and the only times Ravens have really struggled is against High powered Offenses - Saints, Chiefs etc. I think they get a comfortable win here.

Bears over Eagles - That Bears defense is excellent... #1 vs the rush and #7 against the pass. #1 in points allowed, #3 in yards allowed. Low scoring game imo, but I think the bears will sneak it.

Dallas over Seattle - That Dallas defense against Seattle's banged up O-line. Another low scoring game, as Dallas' offense ain't all that great but I think Dallas has enough to come through this one at Jerryworld.

Edited by kick it off

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

I hope you get utterly destroyed by the Bears. Another home game too so the Bears fans get to walk the gauntlet of your scummy fans throwing stuff at them and trying to injure them. Lucky them!

Dude, chill out.

I have as much control over elements of our fan base as you do over your team's name.

Think Alex Smith also kind of has an excuse tbf KG

Didn't know he was on that much KIO. Not sure if he is worth it after being replaced or traded on the past.

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

Dude, chill out.

I have as much control over elements of our fan base as you do over your team's name.

I know. Doesnt alter the fact i think your fanbase as a whole deserves no joy whatsoever.

Re: Rivers. Hes a decent QB but he cant put the game on his shoulders like Rodgers or Brady or Brees. Didnt mean I dont rate him at all, hes fine but hes just not a guy who is going to elevate your team. In context of playoffs where historically he has been pretty poor overall. You put an elite QB with the weapons he has and they could go all the way.

12 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Think Alex Smith also kind of has an excuse tbf KG

Didn't know he was on that much KIO. Not sure if he is worth it after being replaced or traded on the past.

Yeah. Andy Reid always fleeces us for QBs. Did it 10 years ago for a washed up McNabb too. Our FO are total morons though so unsurprising. We rarely come off well in trades. Having said that we were in a good spot to run at the playoffs before smith went down and then the season totally imploded.

Smith is only just over 20mill but likely to miss entirety of next season and contract structure and guaranteed money means we basically have a cap space handicap of 20million for next 2 seasons until we can cut him.

If it was up to me, id blow the whole thing up and trade all aging players on decent contracts for whatever we can get and prime for a run in 2021. Tank next season and maybe the one after too but then head into 2021 with a boatload of cap space and several high draft picks on their rookie deals.

What the Redskins should do is that but what they will do is continue to sign overpriced free agents for far more than they are worth, draft badly and scrape together a team to maintain 8-8 give or take a game every year. #Purgatory.

Edited by kick it off

I wouldn't trust your front office with the picks at this point- I can't see the franchise improving until there is a clear out at the top.

46 minutes ago, king canary said:

I wouldn't trust your front office with the picks at this point- I can't see the franchise improving until there is a clear out at the top.

Absolutely agree. Much as it pains me to say it, your FO have been pretty good recently. Some of the trades you made were excellent value. The actual FO underneath Bruce Allen is OK, but BA is toxic and needs to be removed. We have some really good execs working under him.

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Absolutely agree. Much as it pains me to say it, your FO have been pretty good recently. Some of the trades you made were excellent value. The actual FO underneath Bruce Allen is OK, but BA is toxic and needs to be removed. We have some really good execs working under him.

Roseman has been pretty good of late, although the Golden Tate trade was a mistake.

Challenge is going to be managing cap space with Wentz coming off his rookie deal.

52 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

I think Chiefs v Saints as well, but I'd prefer the bear or cowboys to make it

I can't see the Chiefs making it with their defensive weaknesses. 

If it isn't the Eagles from the NFC I'd love to see the Bears go all the way.

From the AFC I'm of the 'please god anybody but the Pats' attitude.

4 hours ago, king canary said:

From the AFC I'm of the 'please god anybody but the Pats' attitude.

Oh yes I can get fully behind that.

I'm really not paying much attention to the sport these days. Who has the best defense in the AFC playoffs because the Chiefs seem to score easily?

Just noticed The Saints are hosting the Superbowl. Is this good or is playing in your stadium without the normal home support bad.

Just noticed The Saints are hosting the Superbowl. Is this good or is playing in your stadium without the normal home support bad.

Large support or not, it must be an advantage playing at home especially in a bowl. I'm sure Brees would have an advantage throwing.

2 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Oh yes I can get fully behind that.

I'm really not paying much attention to the sport these days. Who has the best defense in the AFC playoffs because the Chiefs seem to score easily?

My view is the Ravens have the best defence left in the AFC.

Regards to home field Superbowl advantage- I could be wrong but I don't think it's actually ever happened. I seem to remember lots of talk last season about the Vikings being the first team to play a Superbowl in their own stadium until Saint Nick Foles took them to pieces.

17 hours ago, kick it off said:

Reuben Foster charges dropped. Fantastic news for the Skins. Kid can play.

Will still face league discipline so I'd expect a suspension is on it's way.

On 31/12/2018 at 10:24, kick it off said:

Dvt88WbWsAErMSl.jpg:large

Colts over Texans - I don't think the Texans are all that great despite their record and Colts have been like a juggernaut after a bad start - they've won 9 out of last 10 games.

Dallas over Seattle - That Dallas defense against Seattle's banged up O-line. Another low scoring game, as Dallas' offense ain't all that great but I think Dallas has enough to come through this one at Jerryworld.

Two for two. Dallas was higher scoring than anticipated but ultimately went the way I called it with Dallas' D shutting down the Seahawks Offense.

Edited by kick it off

That Allen Hearns broken leg. Eurgh. Thats as bad a sporting injury as ive ever seen. Could be a career ender. I hate the Cowboys but not that much, nobody deserves that. Brutal.

Edited by kick it off

That Chargers v Ravens game was great fun in the end. Clearly the Ravens need to work on how they use Jackson going forward.

Good start for the Eagles too- hope they make it worth me being up until 1am on a Sunday!

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Certainly was a nail biting finish. I hope they don't sack the guy for missing by an inch.

I think he's more likely to get cut for missing 10 field goals in a season tbh.

I missed the games yesterday - Can't believe I whiffed on both of yesterdays games. Hard to see an NFC East team making it through divisional round though - away at Saints for Eagles and away at Rams for Cowbitches. I'm going for conference championships of:

Colts vs Pats

Saints vs Rams

image.png.bd7a649abdb4785256541efe900cc408.png

14 hours ago, kick it off said:

Just watched the highlights. Jesus Christ, that kick was as close as it gets.

Kept seeing Wendell Smallwood getting carries. Always amuses me that you drafted him after his pre-draft twitter antics...

I'm sure he doesn't mind now as he has a superbowl ring and all...

Must be nice watching yet another Divisional Round without your team in it 😂