Midlands Yellow

For the more mature supporters

One of my most vivid CF-related memories doesn't feature in that -- not surprisingly; but it left every City supporter at Carrow Road that day stunned at the final whistle. Wonder if anyone can guess who and what I'm referring to. 

12 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

One of my most vivid CF-related memories doesn't feature in that -- not surprisingly; but it left every City supporter at Carrow Road that day stunned at the final whistle. Wonder if anyone can guess who and what I'm referring to. 

Is it when Dean Coney scored off his ****?

10 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Laurie Sheffield from Doncaster Rovers..

I was there standing on my box at the time.

No, Sheffield scored 3 on his debut, Bryceland got the 4th in a 4-1win.

17 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Good try, but no. Clue: almost certainly the only City CF to score four goals on his debut.

I don't recall anybody scoring 4 on a debut. Roy Hollis and David Hodgson both got hat tricks though.

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Oh yes! Memory games. I do seem to remember it making the headlines beyond Norwich.

Sheffield did very well at Carrow Road, but he came and went in quite a short time. That I do recall.

Is the mystery man a certain R.Van Wolfswinkle by any chance?

Well perhaps not!

Players in our own first seasons have a special place and for me that means Ron Davies as the finest old school centre forward. He seemed to be able to do everything in the air and on the ground and, as those clips show, he had great movement – to pull defenders out of position and make those runs for Tommy Bryceland’s through balls. Still can’t believe he went to Southampton for a reported £55,000 after Wyn Davies moved from Bolton to Newcastle earlier that year for £100,000. Wyn the Leap was awesome in the air during Newcastle’s Fairs Cup winning run, he was ideal for the job they wanted doing, but Ron was the complete package and could have won a heap of medals at bigger clubs than us and Southampton. Another forward from that time, Gordon Bolland, was one of those you really wanted to succeed, but although he scored a fair few goals, for me, he always gave the feeling there should have been more to his play than we saw. After it was his turn to move on he endeared himself again to many in the Barclay when he returned (I think with Millwall), giving the fingers to chants of ‘Bolland’s a Reject’ during the warm-up.

LOL,those old b/w clips bring back some memories and it was a real treat to see some of the games again on Anglia's Match of the Week on Sundays.......even if they were filmed from a makeshift scaffolding at the River End.

Wasn't John Camkin or Gerald Sinstadt the commentator before Gerry Harrison ?  

Didn't look at this be sure it said for mature posters....

Great memories. Was Ron Davies the best header of a football ever? Must be close. 

I remember the commentator being Sinstadt.

Didn't look at this be sure it said for mature posters....

Great memories. Was Ron Davies the best header of a football ever? Must be close. 

11 hours ago, ricardo said:

Oh dear! Got that wrong then despite the vividness of the memory! When Sheffield ran out at the start of the game those of us in the South Stand were agape in disbelief; he seemed to be all body and no legs, a far cry from the long limbed, athletic Davies whom he replaced, or Allcock before Davies. But has any other City CF bettered Sheffield's strike rate of 16 goals in the 27 games of his short City career?

2 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

Oh dear! Got that wrong then despite the vividness of the memory! When Sheffield ran out at the start of the game those of us in the South Stand were agape in disbelief; he seemed to be all body and no legs, a far cry from the long limbed, athletic Davies whom he replaced, or Allcock before Davies. But has any other City CF bettered Sheffield's strike rate of 16 goals in the 27 games of his short City career?

Funny. I thought it four as well.

We must have been standing near each other in the South Stand and missed Tommy Bryceland's massive deflection from Laurie's shot that led to the goal.😉

True, Sheffield was a strange build but he managed to score goals wherever he went and for some reason he was always on the move. Perhaps he didn't endear himself to any of the changing rooms or, like a sailor with a girlfriend in every port, he was a bit of a lad and often needed a quick retreat. Having said that, even Steve Bruce would have beaten him in the glamour stakes.

Edited by BroadstairsR

All before my time but still a great watch... There's some cracking quotes in there as well:

"He's got a disease, a goal scoring disease! Let's hope nobody can find a cure"

And when talking of Ron Davies marrying "into New York high society" saying "good old ron, always the opportunist"

Not only do they not make centre forwards like that anymore, they don't make sports journalists like that anymore...

Curran was the main man when I started watching, always thought he was terrific.  No nonsense and reliable in front of goal. Knew how to take a penalty as well!

Edited by lake district canary

Grumpy - "John Manning was the number 9 in the Curran days and he could head a ball". 

Vaguely remember Manning, but Curran is the one the sticks in my mind, maybe he scored the goals in the games I went to as a youngster.

Wacky how memory works as you get older. For some reason I recall John Manning having his wedding ring cut from his finger by someone from the dugout after his hand was stamped on in a home match against Bolton – the ref must have had a bit of a mare as while this was going on in midfield the game swirled on around him. Also at some point the visitors had 12 players on the pitch – this was at the start of a substitute being allowed in England and no-one (players or officials) was up to pace with handling it and it was several minutes before the ref stopped and counted the players. Don’t mind being corrected if any or all of this is cobblers , it was after all the 60s, a famously blurred decade - for example I have no idea what the score was. Do remember Hughie Curran though, always gave 100% and went on to star at Wolves where he deservedly became a Scottish international.