CANARYKING

To all those fans who left early...

Never understood the leave early mentality, and if yesterday  was a lesson for those that did leave that haven't learned.........

they never will . 

"Never understood the leave early mentality."

Perhaps some of them cannot deal with the pressure. Have you ever turned off a televised game when the team is hanging on for three points against an onslaught in the last ten, or fighting for a point  when the clock is ticking?

I have. :classic_cool:

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

"Never understood the leave early mentality."

Perhaps some of them cannot deal with the pressure. Have you ever turned off a televised game when the team is hanging on for three points against an onslaught in the last ten, or fighting for a point  when the clock is ticking?

I have. :classic_cool:

Telly is another thing altogether. The atmosphere at the final whistle yesterday was immense, up there with best of recent history . 

4 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Telly is another thing altogether. The atmosphere at the final whistle yesterday was immense, up there with best of recent history . 

But they left before the final whistle ... perhaps they'd all left their bottles of diazepam in their cars or some needed a quick pint to calm the nerves.😉

People around me and myself always have a laugh and a shake of the head at one old boy who leaves on exactly 70 minutes early single home game and yesterday he did it yet again so he missed 5 goals ! Unbelievable.

Just now, BroadstairsR said:

But they left before the final whistle ... perhaps they'd all left their bottles of diazepam in their cars or some needed a quick pint to calm the nerves.😉

Quite possible BR,  but whatever reason, I still don't get it.

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

People around me and myself always have a laugh and a shake of the head at one old boy who leaves on exactly 70 minutes early single home game and yesterday he did it yet again so he missed 5 goals ! Unbelievable.

I take it you don't suffer from bladder problems then. 😥

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Madness, it's like buying a steak at a restaurant and just eating the salad, getting up and not even tasting the meat.

2 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Quite possible BR,  but whatever reason, I still don't get it.

I've never left early unless forced to when I went with my old boy.

He started to get nervous at about the eighty minute mark citing traffic problems if we left with the masses. He liked to be well clear of Carrow Road by the time the Sports Report intro started on the car radio.

I recall him frantically vaulting over rows of seats, swinging from the old South Stand beaming and sprinting along the touchline on many occasions in his haste to get to the car. We had many a disagreement over this.

I live near Reading, a 4 hour train journey from Norwich. 2 hours of that journey is back into London so have the joy of sharing the journey with the away fans if they are from that neck of the woods. Last time millwall were at Carrow Road I saw enough violence to put me off doing that journey again. So I left early to ensure I wasn't on the same train as them. Really gutted, but still don't completely regret it as will always put my own well being first. 

The misery guts who sits behind me and complains all the time left at 3-2. Hehehe.

1 minute ago, 7rew said:

The misery guts who sits behind me and complains all the time left at 3-2. Hehehe.

For those that stay, it is a blessed relief that some leave early . 😉

2 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

In years to come, when recalling the game, we'll probably find that 50,000+ said "I was there" 🙂 

You're probably right there CC

We walked with a couple of Millwall geezers at the end, and they were complimentary about us, and said that was the best they had played for a while. 

I once left a game early many years ago. We were losing 0-1 to Birmingham. It wasn't until the Pinkun came through the door that I found Gibbins had equalised with the last kick of the game😉

Special thanks to the “ large “ pillock who stopped on the stairs right in front of me so I didn’t see our third goal, thankfully saw it on the big screen.

35 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

They should all be banned for life from the Carra.

Hangings to good for em 😀

• Haha 2

I learned my lesson after leaving early against Hull last season. 

Nelson scored with pretty much the last kick of the game and gave some abuse to their timewasting keeper.

EDIT - 90+6 when Nelson flicked that in.

Edited by Chelm Canary

13 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Happily I can spot myself behind the goal at one point in the highlights !

Happily, I still have the sore throat from hollering my head off after we got those 2 last gasp goals.

• Like 1

Thing is, you're not just missing out on the late goals when you leave early. You miss out on the elation at the full time whistle and the buzz around the ground as everyone leaves together. It's great stuff.

Edited by Pyro Pete

I can understand that some find it difficult to manage in crowds, but just trying to beat the traffic to get home a couple of minutes earlier can mean missing out on so much of what following a team is about; the last-gasp winner and atmosphere at the final whistle yesterday is surely what it's all about.  

I've only ever left early when I have to - missing the 2200 train back to London after a midweek game just isn't an option without getting back God-knows when - otherwise I've only done it once when went down 2-0 to the binners lateish in the game and I just couldn't stomach it (or face the wait outside the ground with their gurning faces leering at us).  We're usually on the 1800/1830 when on the train, but yesterday decided to hang about until the 2000...seemed to make good sense given it was Millwall!

Never leave early but had to catch the 5pm train yesterday. It was 2-1 then, 2-2 as I walked through the South stand and 2-3 as I crossed the road . At the station the radio announced  3-3 and as I boarded the train 4-3 and delight erupted in the carriage. Gutted that I missed the last 4 goals in a game that will probably be talked about for years in an “I was there” way.