pete

New Keeper in January perhaps?

Krul drops another clanger and how he knew it, head in hands.  Beginning to feel Krul was getting better and more confident after WBA fiasco .  But if we are to maintain any sort of promotion push these errors must be avoided.  McGovern is no form of competition so we need to get proper keeper to keep Krul on his toes or as a replacement.  McGovern out at end of season either look for suitable experienced understudy or promising young keeper.  Oxborough injured and seems not fancied by Farke.

Got away with it yesterday might not always be the case.     

I couldn't agree less.

Since that shaky start I think TK has been pretty good to excellent and a misplaced throw out is no reason to ditch him and talk about an expensive replacement.

He has shown his pedigree repeatedly recently and I also get the impression that he has fitted into the the team ethos fully as a classy 'keeper in a classy team. He's become one of us very quickly.

Excellent acquisition who I feel will fill the number 1 spot admirably for some time to come giving Oxborough the time to prove any eventual worth he might have.

Who next for the chop? Pukki? Well he did miss a penalty yesterday after all and the dropping of a single ****  seems to be your criteria. Oh! Hang on.

I seem to recall the much venerated young Angus having a few lapses at the end of his spell at Carrow Road.There was certainly a bit of fault finding on here. Can I remind you just how much he cost in the transfer market last Summer and request you face facts and reality with more insight? 

Btw. Krul has signed on a two year deal.  How many 'keepers do we need on the books?

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 6

One defeat in 12 league games and you want to replace the keeper?? Whatever next..🤣

One defeat in 12 league games and you want to replace the keeper?? Whatever next..🤣

He's done well overall. 

He's part of a close knit group and it would certainly be foolish to disrupt that, especially in the form we're in. 

With our homegrown issues it does seem to be a waste having a "foreign" backup keeper. I'd be trying to shift McGovern and bring in a near retirement, solid English backup who is happy sitting on the bench. A John Ruddy on lower wages.

4 hours ago, pete said:

Krul drops another clanger and how he knew it, head in hands.  Beginning to feel Krul was getting better and more confident after WBA fiasco .  But if we are to maintain any sort of promotion push these errors must be avoided.  McGovern is no form of competition so we need to get proper keeper to keep Krul on his toes or as a replacement.  McGovern out at end of season either look for suitable experienced understudy or promising young keeper.  Oxborough injured and seems not fancied by Farke.

Got away with it yesterday might not always be the case.     

Granted, Krul made a mistake yesterday . 

Replace him? Hell no.

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

I couldn't agree less.

Since that shaky start I think TK has been pretty good to excellent and a misplaced throw out is no reason to ditch him and talk about an expensive replacement.

He has shown his pedigree repeatedly recently and I also get the impression that he has fitted into the the team ethos fully as a classy 'keeper in a classy team. He's become one of us very quickly.

Excellent acquisition who I feel will fill the number 1 spot admirably for some time to come giving Oxborough the time to prove any eventual worth he might have.

Who next for the chop? Pukki? Well he did miss a penalty yesterday after all and the dropping of a single ****  seems to be your criteria. Oh! Hang on.

I seem to recall the much venerated young Angus having a few lapses at the end of his spell at Carrow Road.There was certainly a bit of fault finding on here. Can I remind you just how much he cost in the transfer market last Summer and request you face facts and reality with more insight? 

Btw. Krul has signed on a two year deal.  How many 'keepers do we need on the books?

Krul is very much part of the ethos and squad on which we are basing our season. There are valid points in the OP's post however - I guess it just depends how ruthless our management team is prepared to be. He makes most of the regulation saves but as yet isn't saving the more difficult ones the way our keepers have in previous promotion years. A harsh critic might suggest that he could have done better with all 3 yesterday.

Angus Gunn did of course cost £13m - yet has played barely a game for a struggling Southampton team - maybe not quite as good as we thought if he can't displace the other keepers there?

pete, why just pick on Krul? the whole City defence made errors yesterday, which in most part was due to the directness of the Millwall style of play, but we have a team / squad this season that dont know when theyre beaten and just check the table lad, we dont need to rid any guy from this set of players, least of all TK who i reckon has done a good job overall.

In case you forgot, its the Champs, any team can beat anyone else in this division. Before the Millwall game, i thought Leeds and Derby had both looked the most likely teams to start to stretch a breakaway at the top, but both lost by 3 clear goals. Do they get rid of their GK's also? TK is doing alright, mention a mistake if you want, but dont follow it up with a "get rid" idea. its making you look daft.

I had serious doubts about Tim Krul at the start of the season but he has won me over.

Yes it was a huge clanger yesterday but you would be extremely fortunate to have a keeper who is clanger free, and he does have a tendency to push the ball into the danger area. But for me he still brings lots to the team. He is good with the ball at is feet, essential to our game and generally his decision making is good. Yesterday Millwall pressed so well I can not remember a single time from a dead ball that he was able to see a safe pass to allow the ball to be brought out from the back. He continually made what I feel was the right call to kick long, even though that is not our preferred option.

Let’s face it, if he were a better shot stopper we probably would not have him. We should appreciate what he bring to the table, not obsess on the odd error.

OTBC

I wasn’t sure whether Krul was up to it after the first few games, but he’s been more than good enough since. 

The throw yesterday was poor, but it was also in circumstances where we were trying to push on to get a winner. There were a few individual errors at the back yesterday (Milwall’s second was absolutely schoolboy defending) but it happens, and didn’t set us back. 

Re-reading pete's post, he is to be fair highlighting the need for maybe a better no.2, but in reply to that, i reckon McGovern has done a decent job as a no.2 as he has been doing it a fair length of time, did ok in the run of League Cup games this season and yes, its far fronm easy to find a GK who will accept being a no. 2 for 2 or 3 seasons. I know nothing about his wage either, so will not comment on him being in a "comfort zone"

If the amazing happens and we  get promoted, then certainly, we should look at such an area as a new no. 2 GK, but thats a long ways off right now.

McGovern isn't a bad keeper but I'm sure we'll be looking for a new number 2 whatever division we're in next season, one that can genuinely challenge Krul. McGovern doesn't fit the Farke blueprint, he's not comfortable with the ball at his feet and his distribution isn't up to Krul's standard (go on, mention his mistake yesterday). I'd also imagine that he's on fair whack considering he was signed on a free transfer and was Alex Neil's mate.

Keepers make mistakes, it happens but after a shaky start having not played much in the preceding seasons Krul has settled in nicely and is an integral part of the team. 

Let's play a game of 'spot the scapegoat' shall we?!  I guess when you're (apparently) in the top 5 form teams in Europe there's little to complain about, but clearly some still have to find something.

Krul's done a decent enough job this season, a mistake - when he was trying to get a quick attack going - is hardly a stackable/scapegoat offence.  Besides, had we not gone 3-2 down we wouldn't have had the joy of what happened next!

Don't underestimate the importance of Krul's distribution. The role he is asked to play means he will inevitably give the ball away from time to time. But, he also helps us to keep possession and stretch our opponents. When McGoven was in goal we were much less effective in this regard.

I think Tim Krul has got better and better each game since the WBA fiasco. Yesterday was a genuine mistake, he was looking to get the team moving quickly again and was doing exactly what he is supposed to do just a shame he didn't look up and see Max Aarons in acres of space on the right hand side but all in all I think Krul has looked solid and a consistent run of games and confidence increasing is showing he is a decent keeper and I am more than happy with him. 

Sorry Pete, have to completely disagree. Krul has been one of the key components on this run. The only one we need to replace is McGovern with all due respect to him. His kicking at the Bournemouth game made me realise he just isn’t anywhere near comfortable enough with the ball at his feet, and unfortunately that’s very important for keepers in the modern game. 

He didn't drop the ball or fluff a save. He made an error trying to be positive. But just as he helps out defenders in front of him who make errors, they could still have helped him out with his but were a bit  too slow.

He has been playing well so I don't see the need for any movement in the goalkeeping department.

Sure Krul made a mistake Saturday, but he was one of several in the defence that did so - so why just him?

+ in his defence, he was trying to be attacking, looking for a winner in the last minutes of a game - it was hardly a "typical" goalkeeping error.

Apart from yesterday the defence has been looking pretty solid recently - why change a key component of it?

Yes it was a poor throw, but there was some pretty poor defending between the throw and the ball ending up in the net.  A miserable goal to concede all round.  Thankfully, it didn't matter in the end.  Krul was on the end of some pretty brutal stuff from their forward line on Saturday - how their player wasn't booked or even spoken to after jumping into him, I'll never know.

I think krul was an inspired acquisition , agreed he looked a little rusty in the first few games but since then has earned his beans every week. If we get another Gk in, which i believe we do need, it will be a modern type ball playing keeper, my guess is that he'll be brought in on the understanding that he is understudy to TK then integrated fully into the  team. McGovern should be gone as soon as possible, the Bournemouth fans could see he was flaky playing with his feet and were taunting him every time he had the ball to feet, he does not fit in with the new style of play at Norwich. As someone earlier mentioned, this new keeper should be 'homegrown', i have no doubt that the Scouting Team are on the lookout for one.

That TK dropped a clanger , Teemu messed up a Pen and we were losing very near the end of normal time, did not faze our lads one bit, they carried on playing great footy and got the goals/result needed. This is a sign of a very confident , well coached side.