pete

Coaching penalty taking City style

Place the ball to the keepers left don't hit it too hard and hope he dives to his right, instructions as given to three of our players.  Suggest better if they just close their eyes and hit it as hard as possible.

It is becoming embarrassing strikers who cannot score from 12 yards. 

Why is it embarrassing? I'm not embarrassed my Team are top of the League. Are the 23 Teams below us embarrassed that they are below a Team that can't take penalties? I'm sure, that while Daniel and the boys take a well earned break in the Florida sunshine they'll be practicing from eight yards. The preparation has been pretty much faultless this season, trust,  that they'll work it out. 

We can smile and shrug it off now, but if we miss out on auto promotion by a single goal then we can point to those pathetic penalties as the main reason.

Although so far we did not lose too many points due to missed pennos (if memory serves me right we won most league games when we missed), they can cost. It would be progress if our efforts would actually beat the keeper, even if they go over or rattle the woodwork... 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

We can smile and shrug it off now, but if we miss out on auto promotion by a single goal then we can point to those pathetic penalties as the main reason.

Really? We hauled that game right out of the fire yesterday, the players as a TEAM deserve every shred praise they have received and the penalty miss is just that, a missed penalty. MUCH more important is the fact that the team stuck to the task for the full 90 (+7) minutes, kept their heads and were rewarded. I am sure the ever shrewd Mr Farke will have the taking of penalties on his list and in the correct order of priority to deal with.

It's become a real issue.It's in the head rather like it became with England in major tournaments.

Keep calm, work on it and the first successful one might well open the floodgates.

More pertinent is the frequency that we are being given them as it's testament to the pressure and skill we are capable of exerting in any opponent's box.

No doubt if we do get promoted they will be a rarity for us against the bigger boys.

Cue: Thread re: Simon Hooper.

7 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Just let the players take it how they see fit. What were the records of those pen takers before they came to Norwich?

Sorry but got to disagree. We don't let players do anything else as they see fit. They are coached and given instructions on every aspect of the game. Penalty taking is no different. There is plenty of data available on the most successful way to take a penalty and we should be using it. As someone has said above, this is a tight league and it might turn out to be important. Simply saying that we usually win anyway misses the point. Every team should be looking to improve however well they are doing. 

Incidentally, we didn't get points from the WBA game 

It’s a legitimate concern that needs addressing. I certainly wouldn’t be feeling confident if we end up in the play off final facing the prospect of a shoot out

9 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Just let the players take it how they see fit. What were the records of those pen takers before they came to Norwich?

Rhodes is known for being rubbish at them.

I noticed there was a bit of dialogue between Pukki and Buendia before Pukki places the ball on the spot. So maybe Buendia will be next. Also might be an idea to let the opposition believe one player is taking it before a different one steps up just before hand. Saves them having to go through the obligatory 5 mins of “gamesmanship” before any penalty is taken. Pukki was surrounded by millwall players at one point. 

If you look, Pukki looks at Leitner and does a 'you or me?' gesture just after it's been award; as you can guess, Mo relents.

He will take the next one.

Coaching penalties is tricky. A lot of it is about the pressure, which you just can’t recreate in training. 

I didn’t like Pukki’s little stutter run up yesterday. I don’t see the need to try and play mind games with the keeper. Just choose your place and whack it.

3 hours ago, Daz Sparks said:

Really? We hauled that game right out of the fire yesterday, the players as a TEAM deserve every shred praise they have received and the penalty miss is just that, a missed penalty. MUCH more important is the fact that the team stuck to the task for the full 90 (+7) minutes, kept their heads and were rewarded. I am sure the ever shrewd Mr Farke will have the taking of penalties on his list and in the correct order of priority to deal with.

No one is disputing that but this thread is specifically about penalties and moreover our players failing to convert them. That's 4 out of 5 we've missed.

7 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

No one is disputing that but this thread is specifically about penalties and moreover our players failing to convert them. That's 4 out of 5 we've missed.

I'm as brassed off as the next man about the penalty misses Capt, but I won't be looking back at the end of the season, there will be a plethora of other what ifs that I'll also ignore. Overall the way we approach games, the way we prepare for games and our performances will dictate our final league position. AsI stated earlier, I'm sure Farke has the penalty taking situation in hand.  

However, for the record, maybe Leitner or Buendia next to take one.

It's a strange one. To miss four out of five penalties indicates there is a problem. Hopefully Leitner can show them how it's done.

I have always wondered why penalty takers do not just thump it hard left or right. Surely they can be expected to have enough control to be able to be accurate enough. I have never liked slow, side foot penalties as taking pace off it for accuracy is giving the keeper too much chance to guess right.

'Ave it!

or

place the ball a a reasonable pace, at least half way up the goal, to one of the sides. Gravity dictates that keepers cannot keep going on an upward trajectory, once their dive has started.

Simples! 

11 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I have always wondered why penalty takers do not just thump it hard left or right. Surely they can be expected to have enough control to be able to be accurate enough. I have never liked slow, side foot penalties as taking pace off it for accuracy is giving the keeper too much chance to guess right.

I think, as a total amateur, what is happening is this. Penalty takers know that most goalies will cheat at least a bit by moving early, not just sideways but crucially forwards as well. The Milwall keeper did on Saturday, but not that much - say a yard forward and also to his right. And takers also know most referees will let the goalie get away with this.

So the stuttering-run style has developed, based on the idea that the taker will see  in time which way the keeper has committed themselves and so put the ball where they now know the goalie will not be.

The problem we seem to have is that our takers don't react accordingly and have ended up putting the ball where the keeper has already started going, and - because of the stuttering style - at not much pace.

One solution is the Hoolahan method, with a minimal run-up, which make it much harder for the keeper. Another is ignoring the mind games and just bashing hard and low as far into the cormer as possible. If it gets saved, it gets saved.

48 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

Stick your foot through it and try to take the keepers head off.👍

Apples

Wholeheartedly agree with this