Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Millwall

I read in the press this week that we hadn't lost at home to Millwall in 50 years. That takes us way, way back to Lol Morgan's reign and off hand I had noreal recollection of the game so had to look it up. Yes, a 0-3 loss in front of 19k, with the likes of Kevin Keelan in goal and Curran and John Manning up front. I wonder how many can remember his song to the tune of "The Mighty Quinn".😉 There was a debut for big money signing Ken Mallender, a centre half who never really made the expected mark.  I also noticed that Tommy Bryceland was missing, he was our Talisman in those days so no wonder we lost.

Anyway, enough of nostalgia, It was mild with broken cloud here in Norwich today as Farke resisted the urge to bring Rhodes back in which I thought was correct although I thought Vrancic was rather unlucky to only be on the bench. After a well observed two minute silence and a superb rendition of the last post we were off and running. From the start Millwall tried to keep on the front foot and it was not until the seventh minute that Pukki was just short of latching on to Leitner's chip through. Then Stiepermann's cross was a fraction too close to the keeper with Pukki lurking.

It was far too open for my liking and with the visitors pushed forward it was difficult to play out from the back. We had flashes of quick passing skills as Buendia or Aarons regularly had the beating of their man down the right. In one nice move the ball was pulled back for Tetty to shoot low but a yard wide.Millwall were more direct, and from a soft free kick, given for a high boot that could not have been more than waist high, a head back across goal was nodded in by the towering figure of Tom Elliot. Oh dear, not going to script at all.

City came back with a bit more gusto but were guilty to often of being over elaborate on the edge of the box. Tim Klose might have evened things up from a corner  with a powerful ten yard header but it was straight at Amos, who palmed it over. Then from a free kick on the left, Klose flicked another header on to the bar and as Zimmerman rammed home the rebound our cheers were stifled by an offside flag. I couldn't be sure but I think it was against Klose for being a fraction in front when the kick was taken.

It didn't look like being our day but there was generous applause at the interval as has become the norm and my son seemed confident that we could turn it round. For myself, I had seen this as a potential banana skin as long runs have to end some time. After 49 minutes it seemed as though my son's assessment  would be proved correct when pressure down the left opened up the Lions defence. Hernandez onto Stiepermann, a strong run to the line and a cut back that Pukki, flashed past Amos, before he could move.

That signaled a spell of City pressure and ten minutes later it really should have been 2-1. Hernandez's shot was handled in the box and this time when Pukki stepped up to take the penalty we thought surely this must be a goal. Unfortunately the ref may has well have given a goal kick as a penalty because the low shot was of a very similar quality to those of Rhodes and Vrancic in previous games. Amos just had to drop on it and I think even at my age I could have stopped that one. It knocked us back a bit and things got scrappy for a while before City finally started to exert more pressure down the right. Buendia flashed a shot a foot wide. then Stiepermann had a couple of efforts blocked. Eventually the ball fell to Leitner 20 yards out and when his low shot nestled in the far corner it felt like everything had finally come right.

Our celebrations were a trifle premature as a long ball forward skidded off a defenders head straight into the path of Leonard who poked it under Krul's despairing dive. At this stage my son was coming round to my way of thinking when he remarked that perhaps some games you are destined not to win. This appeared to be more than prophetic when Krul telegraphed a throw out that was intercepted and within two quick passes Wallace had it in the back of the net for 2-3. Surely an expected three points had been chucked carelessly away.

Rhodes now came on for Aaron and Vrancic for Stiepermann as Farke went for broke. It seemed a forlorn hope until two minutes from time Buendia found Rhodes open in the box. The big City striker found time to trap, turn and slot past Amos for what seemed like a life saving point. I would certainly have settled for that but with 6 mnutes added there still seemed to be time for an unlikely win. However despite pressure City were forced back and eventually gave away a corner as the last minute was running out. City quickly broke forward and when Buendia's ball into the box for pukki it looked like Amos might be favourite but the little Finn clipped it over the sprawling keeper towards the net. At this moment I had a flashback of Jackson's winner against Derby in that vital promotion game. "It's gonna go in, it's gonna go in", and yes by all that's holy in it went.

I lost my woolly hat in the blur of noise, elation and emotion that then erupted, strangers embraced in the stands and on the stairs it was wonderful. Somehow the universe had re-aligned and all was right with the world. You don't get many games like that in a lifetime but when one comes along it's well worth the wait. I believe now that this team has enough within it to go all the way, in fact I'm sure that they will.

Buendia my MOM. Wonderful little player😀

Edited by ricardo
Spelling
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 7

Lovely report thank you Ricardo. Hope you got your hat back. What a wonderful description of the elation. Farke was clearly moved too. And now we sit proudly at the top ....for at LEAST 2 weeks' and here's hoping for many more. 

Thanks Ricardo, always wait for your report, the game you mentioned I think I was at and remember the Millwall fans being a little boisterous after the match, at least that's one way of putting the house brick that flashed past my head on the way out of the Barclay

Thanks for the report, Ricardo.

I hope our promotion doesn't reside on a shootout :classic_huh:.

I'm sure it won't, but the penalties are now a concern. I'm starting to view them as less of a goal scoring opportunity. 

It may sound ridiculous as he's missed 2 but I still think Rhodes has a cool enough head to be slotting them in - I'm not sure he'll get another shot though. 

I agree it was harsh on Vrancic to miss out however I think Stiepermann got the nod for his height and strength. Did look good when he came on and I thought it was his pass through to Pukki for the 4th?

Buendia was fantastic, I agree he was MOM. 

I've had the experience of bricks and stones being thrown over me by Milwall fans too Midland.

We seem to not get too bothered about the penalties. We just bat on.

Long time listener first time caller...

Thanks for the report Ricardo, great read as always but tonight's is particularly special👍

Edited by Norwich R Us

"Somehow the universe had re-aligned and all was right with the world..."

This was one of the most beautiful lines I've read ona game of footie.

I watched on iFollow, and re-viewed  the last fifteen minutes three times...

• Like 1

Thanks for the report.

The 2 minutes silence and the last post were a very moving experience, well done for the the way it was observed.

What can you say about a game like that, a team that never believes it is beaten is a tough team to beat, we were terrific.

Great stuff Ricardo thanks and a great game too. Talk about a rollercoaster of emotion.

agree with Buendia as MOTM but thought it was Vrancic put the superb ball through for the winner?

time for a nice cuppa and chaser to round off a good day 😊

Edited by Hairy Canary

Very accurate report still we are vulnerable to the long up and under, Millwall were as good as we have seen here this season

PS Very honourable 2 minutes silence makes you proud to be British. Pity some of Corbyn's cronies do not feel the same

14 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

Great stuff Ricardo thanks and a great game too. Talk about a rollercoaster of emotion.

agree with Buendia as MOTM but thought it was Vrancic put the superb ball through for the winner?

time for a nice cuppa and chaser to round off a good day 😊

Yes, having seen the replay you are correct. With all that went on in the seconds after that goal its a wonder that I found where id left my bike😁

Edited by ricardo
Word missed out
  • Haha 2

Thanks Ricardo brilliant report.

for this game I got a seat in row A directly behind the goal which was superb but for all of our goals except Rhodes my view was impeded by the goalkeeper/defenders 😎 so it’s great to see them now on the highlights.

for their first goal I was worried when the lined up that they had a man over on our left, sure enough it was played to him and he had a free header which he guided into the danger zone, perfect for a forward to attack.

overall Millwall were much better than I expected, moving the ball quickly and creating a lot of chances in the air.

having said that, if we’d taken our chances better and been more composed, it could have been a comfortable win...

but what an utterly amazing game, winning that to go 2 points clear at the top, after the performance last week does it get any better?

I know the Sim Jackson winner against Derby was out of this world, but  today’s win as a 90 (96!) minutes of football was utterly amazing.

22 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Do you rate Buendia more than either Murphy twin or Redmond Ricardo ? He is definitely more consistent in his embryonic Norwich I’d say. 

Has a good engine and great on the ball skill. A low centre of gravity and very hard to shake off the ball. Looks better with every game

Also Buendia can deliver a great pass. Just look at his return ball to Aarons for the 3rd goal last week or his ball to Vrancic for the final goal today, both perfectly weighted through passes which created great attacking openings.

He gives a defence real problems. If you try to strong arm him, he’ll stand up to you, and if you try to foul him out of the game he’ll make sure they’re obvious to the ref and will keep right on coming at you.

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I'm just pleased we're shooting up the 'right' end in the second half again! 😀

😉

Good report Ricardo,  unlike you, I do remember our last lose to Millwall although I never realized that was the last time they beat us

Great to have the international break top of the league.

Enjoyable report, as always. Thanks.

Pleased Pukki got the winner as he must of felt miserable having missed the penalty. Should have been a hat trick!

6 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Thanks Ricardo,  still celebrating here, 

It reminded me of an old John Denver song, "Some days are Diamonds, Some days are Stone."

No points for guessing what sort of day this was.😀

• Like 1

Particularly grateful for today's report ricardo, as it was granddaughter no.2's birthday today & she does take priority even over Norwich❤️.  Shame her mum couldn't have hung on to her for another week though, as I've missed an absolute belter!

12 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Particularly grateful for today's report ricardo, as it was granddaughter no.2's birthday today & she does take priority even over Norwich❤️.  Shame her mum couldn't have hung on to her for another week though, as I've missed an absolute belter!

A shame you missed this one Ron. It's going to stay long in the memory of all who were there. The emotion on and off the field at the end was a joy to behold👍

Great report Ric. I was at the Derby game,  the Barclay sucked Jackson's winner in that day. It was near the end of the season and momentum carried us over the line. A word perhaps for Millwall,  takes 2 to put on entertainment like that,and three away goals should bring some reward, I wish them luck for the rest of the season. 

Extraordinary game. A dream for Farke. Norwich made a huge amount of mistakes today and still won.

incredible resilience, excellent goals, plenty of things going against, great momentum and feeling in the stands and lots to work on while banking 3 points. 

Bravissimi 👏

Parma