Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

These tired players

I think there is something seriously wrong with our training regime.  We have far too many players getting training ground injuries and a lot of the time they are new to the club.   Perhaps Nigels passion for top level fitness is causing over use injury all too often.  Strained this, strained that.  It shouldn''t be happening to so many professionals so often. 

I run a Sunday team and we don''t get this many injuries, we turn up in minus 2 degree weather and start booting the ball at the keeper before the match every week.  Okay the odd player does a few stretches and eventually we do stretch, once I have got everyone out of the warm changing rooms, but we don''t get all these strains etc.    Before anyone says it I know professionals play a lot more football and train a lot more, but surely they know how to warm up and warm down to prevent strains?   I think they are being worked too hard.

Can i make one point first before i comment on this; I do not understand the thought process behind some of people that post on here (not particularly on this thread) - that being extremely high earners somehow qualifies them for ridicule on the few hours that they train. There appears to be a perception that if they were to work 9-5 they would be better players on the pitch. I couldnt give a whatever if they trained for ten minutes if they won week in week out. I also believe that a relaxed team makes a successful team.

However, I do agree that it is a mistake to publicly say to the thousands of fans that work their backsides off to be able to go and watch, that they are too tired to play. Maybe it is a fact, but deal with it internally not pubically.

There are two obvious candidates that are going to be mentioned, Saf and Hucks. I am not trying to justify this but i have something in the back of my mind - namely that we have all known that Saf is not the fitest of lads, which is partly why his touch and vision are so good. The thing is, if he was a great athlete too, we wouldn''t have bought him from Coventry. He would be in one of the top European sides.

As for Huckerby, as much as what he says maybe true, i have very little patience with his words. However, over the past 2.5 seasons he has been burdened to an extent with being the man we all look to to unlock defences. He hasn''t really been injured for that many games over that period, and he does look a couple of yards slower. Maybe it''s a case against having such a small squad, maybe it''s a dig at Worthington, but I have to say Hucks, deal with it in private with the boss. The only thing you''ll get by whingeing in pubic is two fingers and a raspberry from me.

There is also the fact that no-one ever seems to have these issues in a winning side, or when their position is under threat.Strange that.