Sign in to follow this  
It's Character Forming

Best "ordinary" games you've been to...

Thinking about normal league games (i.e. ignoring derbies, playoffs, games like the one vs Derby when Simeon Jackson scored the winner to put us on the verge of promotion and similar) Saturday has to be one of the best games I've seen City play.

Comparing it to the 5 goals we scored there back in 2001, Saturday feels like a better performance to me and I've been trying to think why... 

Back in 2001, the Wednesday CBs simply could not contain Nielsen (who was playing at his best while on his initial loan spell - somehow after he signed permanently, he lost a bit of his edge IMO :classic_unsure: ) and they were two goals down fairly early on and just faded away, but Saturday it simplyfelt that we were on another level to them throughout and I always expected that if/when we got the breakthrough, we'd just demolish them.

Looking back, ordinary league games like that are rare, I'm wondering if people have any that they remember fondly ?

• Like 2

Couple spring to mind...

The 5-1 win over Forest under AN. Went in with low expectations and got to see us score 5 including two of the best goals I've ever seen at Carrow Road.

Also a game v Leicester we won 4-3- Wes scored a great volley, Drury scored, end to end stuff.

I remember both of these games well, KC. The Wes goals in both were special! However, Howson takes it, doesn't he??!

Edited by BobLoz3

The 4-4 versus Middlesbrough in Worthington's Premier League season has got to be up there. Ok we didn't win but to be 4-1 down with only minutes remaining and still get a draw, unbelievable. I also had a good friend stood in the away end who I promptly called so that he could enjoy our incomprehensible screaming at the final whistle. Think he appreciated that.

9 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

However, Howson takes it, doesn't he??!

Absolutely- best goal I think I've seen at Carrow Road.

• Like 1

Also not sure if it counts as ordinary but the 1-0 win over Forest in 03/04. I remember being in the car with radio Norfolk on and hearing reports of Hucks coming in permanently- then seeing him paraded before a scrappy 1-0 win made my Christmas.

Does the 7-1 vs Reading count as ordinary? That was pretty awesome just in terms of the crazy number of goals we scored. Similarly the 6-0 vis Scunthorpe in 2011 with both Grant Holt and Simeon Jackson scoring hat-tricks.

Mostly though it's the extraordinary games that stick in my memory: The 2-0 win over Gillingham in April 2010 to clinch the League 1 title. It was a beautiful day and I left the ground on a massive high. I stopped into John Lewis on the way home and spent £100 on baby clothes for my daughter who would be born two months later; Then 5 years later taking the same daughter on the train to Wembley to watch us win the playoff final against Middlesbrough. Good memories!

• Like 1

March 1963. We had just come out of the Big Freeze. Pitch covered in sand. We had Stoke at home and if it wasn't Stanley Matthews first game back for them it was close to it but I believe it was the famous Jimmy McIlroy's first game.

And we beat them 6-0.

A week later we put five past Newcastle in the Cup. And a fortnight later, Sunderland put seven past us. 

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

March 1963. We had just come out of the Big Freeze. Pitch covered in sand. We had Stoke at home and if it wasn't Stanley Matthews first game back for them it was close to it but I believe it was the famous Jimmy McIlroy's first game.

And we beat them 6-0.

A week later we put five past Newcastle in the Cup. And a fortnight later, Sunderland put seven past us. 

I remember it well KG. It was Jimmy McIlroy's first game after all the furore over his transfer from Burnley and the national press were there expecting them to trounce us. All the cameras were behind our goal for the expected onslaught but it never came, all the action was at the other end. Bless.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Absolutely- best goal I think I've seen at Carrow Road.

And yet under Pulis Howson looks literally half the player any time i've seen him. They're really not getting what they could out of him in this division.

27 minutes ago, hogesar said:

And yet under Pulis Howson looks literally half the player any time i've seen him. They're really not getting what they could out of him in this division.

Pulis not getting much out of midfielders is pretty standard.

Thanks guys, some good memories there guys. 

I remember winning 3-2 at Leicester in the year we won promotion to the Prem under Lambert with goals by Wes H and Grant Holt (also Wilbraham !) and that was a fantastic game, although typically for Lambert the defending could be a bit hit & miss.  I was speaking to a couple of Leicester fans last year and they were saying they remembered that (still, in 2017) as the best away performance at Leicester they could remember.

7-1 against Reading was spectacular, we were like a freight train that day. 

3-2 against Derby was just utter madness. I don't think I'd seen scenes like that at Carrow Road since we put Bayern out with the draw at home.

Beating Forest away to go top of the Prem too. I was only about 6 and don't remember the game, but we won 3-0 and will never forget being in the stands that day singing "We are top of the league". That's a moment you never forget.

Leeds Away the season we went up under Lambert was special too - 2-0 and Howson scoring against Leeds and getting soundly applauded for it by home and away fans alike. Leeds fans have a bad rep, but Howson didn't celebrate and they took the chance to show their respect for him - it was a really classy moment. The infamous Tettey jig at the end just capped off a wonderful day.

Hull away last season was great too - we lost but it was a cracking game of football.

• Like 1

Bristol Rovers in 2010, last away game of the season. It was a beautiful day and we were already champions. They had an attempt at the “most people dressed as a pirate” world record and we took great relish in chanting “You’re sh*t arrrrrrrr” at their keeper. Can’t remember the result though.... we won 3-0 apparently.

• Like 1

Does the 2-1 away win at Old Trafford count as normal because for me that is the best game I have been to as a Norwich fan bar Wembley. As a kid growing up Man United were the best team and the world and teams never went to Old Trafford and won so to see Norwich win at Old Trafford was just utterly fantastic! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

Does the 2-1 away win at Old Trafford count as normal because for me that is the best game I have been to as a Norwich fan bar Wembley. As a kid growing up Man United were the best team and the world and teams never went to Old Trafford and won so to see Norwich win at Old Trafford was just utterly fantastic! 

I'd also nominate when we beat Man U 2-0 under Worthy. We'd not had a great season and suddenly turned it on against a Fergie team. The McKenzie goal was great too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I'd also nominate when we beat Man U 2-0 under Worthy. We'd not had a great season and suddenly turned it on against a Fergie team. The McKenzie goal was great too.

Isn't it funny that in that game a substitution was made by either side at half time Bentley for us and Rooney for them and it was the former who made more of an impact and helped swing the game for us, great win that night!

Game which will always stick with me was actually a defeat. Losing 5-3 at home to Liverpool in February 1980. It was of course the game when Justin Fashanu scored his never to be forgotten goal. But it wasn't just that. It was a fantastically exciting end to end game which swung back and forth and was played out in front of a feverish crowd - back in the day when you could stand at matches. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lincsy88 said:

Isn't it funny that in that game a substitution was made by either side at half time Bentley for us and Rooney for them and it was the former who made more of an impact and helped swing the game for us, great win that night!

Yep- I think this was when Bentley has been in the doghouse for his infamous 'ave it' moment!

He crossed for the first and if I remember rightly it was Rooney that Safri robbed to set up the second goal.

On 06/11/2018 at 12:12, Petriix said:

Does the 7-1 vs Reading count as ordinary? That was pretty awesome just in terms of the crazy number of goals we scored. Similarly the 6-0 vis Scunthorpe in 2011 with both Grant Holt and Simeon Jackson scoring hat-tricks.

Mostly though it's the extraordinary games that stick in my memory: The 2-0 win over Gillingham in April 2010 to clinch the League 1 title. It was a beautiful day and I left the ground on a massive high. I stopped into John Lewis on the way home and spent £100 on baby clothes for my daughter who would be born two months later; Then 5 years later taking the same daughter on the train to Wembley to watch us win the playoff final against Middlesbrough. Good memories!

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

So many to choose from the Lambert era - the 1-0 against Leeds in League One with a Chris Martin winner; the last minute winner against Reading when McNally threw the ball back for a throw in; the 3-3 against Arsenal at the Emirates; 2-1 win at WHL with Bennett scoring a great winner against Spurs. And some Hughton games - 4-0 win against WBA to keep us up in 12/13; the 2-0 win against Sunderland with the Tettey thunder-bas*ard; 1-0 wins against Arsenal and MUFC in 12/13 also. Farke’s best game I’ve personally see so far was the 3-1 win against Villa last season with the Murphy wonder-goal.

• Like 1

On 07/11/2018 at 09:17, It's Character Forming said:

Yeah that was a Hucks special wasn't it ?  Absolutely amazing !

Remember speaking to a bloke at HT (we were losing 3-2) and laughing that we didn't know what might happen next. Of course, a team that is going to go on to be champions will always turn it round and we scored 3 in the second half. Recall Svensson maybe with one. Huckerby scored a ridiculous goal just before half time at our end.

So many matches it's hard to call. For sure joy, Hooper's balletic winner at Bolton is hard to beat. It was right in the depth of the final minutes. The following week we beat Leeds away, controlling the match.

For me though it has to be the goosebumps I got when OTBC was sung after we beat Swindon 1-0 (my memory may not be holding out) in 1970. From an open River End it felt as if the roof of the other parts of the ground would lift off.

I was also proud of an away 0-2 win the year after the Bradford fire. Living in Bradford then and following them all season as my adopted 'other' team (the year of the Bradford fire), I knew all the players very well. I had no transport then nor money to follow our  games and it was -pre internet of course. For us to dominate a very good team at Odsal was amazing. Bruce and Watson didn't put a foot wrong all game. We went top that day and went on to automatic promotion. 

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 09:29, king canary said:

Couple spring to mind...

The 5-1 win over Forest under AN. Went in with low expectations and got to see us score 5 including two of the best goals I've ever seen at Carrow Road.

Also a game v Leicester we won 4-3- Wes scored a great volley, Drury scored, end to end stuff.

I did crossbar challenge at the Leicester 4-3 game so remember that one well!

Other particularly memorable "ordinary" games - going to stick with away games as they tend to incite the passion that little bit more...

4-3 L at St. Mary's 2005

2-1 W and then 3-3 in North London 2012

2-1 W Ewood Park 2015

4-3 L St. James' Park 2017 

And one home game that may be seen as controversial is the 1-6 L to Man City in 2012, I just remember Man City being on a completely different level, and remembering thinking we didn't actually play that badly! An utter master class.  

I was at the Bradford game at the Odsal too - great game.  I remember getting in through the children's turnstile that day (despite being about 19 at the time!).

Another good away game two weeks earlier that season was a 5-2 away win at Bramall Lane with Wayne Biggins hat-trick.

The game that always sticks in my head is a league cup tie, it was a replay at Carrow Road against Tranmere after we had drawn 1-1 at Prenton park. I think we were 2-0 down at half time and ended up winning 4-2. It also featured one the funniest OG's I have seen. I think Darren Eadie shot and the ball deflected off a defenders back side before looping over the stranded Tranmere keeper.

Away wins against Arsenal and Everton in 92-93 season!!! I'll never forget those... Highbury was stunned...

More recently...I enjoyed that Pilkington winner against Manure in 2012 :classic_dry:

The 3 - nil win at Highbury in the league cup in 72. Totally unexpected. Graham Paddon hat trick and big Dunc trying to play on despite a punctured lung

3-2 win at the Etihad.  Last game of the season, nothing to play for. Holt's last goal? Howson' solo goal and the Man C. players doing a lap of appreciation in an empty Stadium because their plastics had all left early once they realized they weren't going to win. Priceless.