Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Murphy twins not missed

I think that our two wide players on Saturday makes even more sense to sell the twins.

They had, like Redmond speed in abundance, but also like Redmond, their final ball was often poor.

But these young boys are exciting to watch, and deliver a decent final ball. I know our  two young full back get a lot of praise, rightly soo. But

these young boys deserve credit too. They cost peanuts, and will prove to be great assets in the future. 

Bit question is can we hang on to these boys?

I miss them though having followed their progress for so many years. And I watch out for them now. Josh is doing ok at Cardiff. Jacob's not getting so much game time at Newcastle. 

However you're right. We don't long for them to be back during games. It's about the now and Cantwell, Hernandez and Buendia are producing for us. In fact Emi the Ox is my new favourite player😉

Redmond would probably be quite a good fit for this team now with his ability to take the ball in tight spaces and the way he looks to link up.

• Like 1

It was very important to have the Murphies come through the youth system - part of our evolution as a club.

I'm glad they got into the first team, but I'm also glad they have gone - neither ever really got to grips with what was needed in the championship (imo).  Both very talented and good luck to them, but we have better players in now.

They have gone and made their money, and who can blame them for that. I can't help thinking though that they might be spending some of their best years at a grade level where they don't get an awful lot of playing time. If money was not  the main consideration I expect both would rather be big fish in a small pond rather than make weights at a higher level.In any event both may well be back at Champs level a lot sooner than they expected.

• Like 3

Agree with Lakey, we have better players in now...which is quite amazing, considering the players who have come in and been better are generally either very inexpensive signings and / or from the academy . Not only the Murphy's but also Madders, City are positively shining without those guys and when one thinks we got well more than 40 million for the twins and Madders its been a huge postive for the club, not just on the pitch, but financially to.

• Like 1

Really pleased that they came through our academy and good luck to them both. Who can forget their part in the youth teams FA Cup exploits a few seasons back with a double win over Chelsea in the final? Their finest NCFC moment for me. I hope the pair of them kick on and have great careers.

But in all honesty I would say this... We probably got a little more money for them than perhaps we should have, yet not enough for Maddison - so I guess it all balanced out ok in the end.

I hope they go on to better things than somebody like a Tom Ince, bouncing around between Championship and lower Premier League. Honestly believe that if they manage to find some consistency they both have the ability to be regulars in the Premier League.

That being said I also believe that we are stronger with Hernandez now than we were last season with Josh. He might not have the 30 yard screamer every 7 or 8 games but he is a better player minute to minute. Maybe his 'weapons' aren't quite as large but I think he works harder and has a stronger mentality, Josh's head dropped far too often imo.

Agree with that , I think both Hernandez and Buendia are more complete footballers than the Murphys. If you look at the ball Buendia played for Aarons to run onto, and many similar moves, I can’t see either Murphy playing that pass.

also you look at the physical challenges faced by both of them in Saturday’s game, I  think Josh especially would often have gone missing after that sort of battering.

I was only thinking about this yesterday after reading another thread.Much as I enjoyed the Maddison era and watching him grow in stature, maturity and ability, I can honestly say that I am enjoying this season far more.We didn't seem to function at all without Maddison and nothing seemed to be happening until he got the ball.Now we have a team of players that collectively contribute to exciting,fast flowing football that has been missing for far too long with far more attacking options from midfield and up front. If you take the last four big players to leave,Murphy twins,Pritchard and Maddison,none of them,except possibly Maddison, although he is being played in a different role and  playing second fiddle to the other two midfielders at Leicester,are actually setting the Prem alight. To take the point a little further.Given the current quality of play we are witnessing I wouldn't want any of the four back.In fact the only player that I would welcome back if I was pushed would be Grant Holt as I just don't think Rhodes is the real deal.

I think its a bit unfair to have a go at the twins right now. I would argue that most if not all of our signings in the last twleve months see it as a step up and no doubt more wages.

The Murphy's were stunning when they burst onto the scene and I remember posts about them being put into the first team straight away as they were the dynasty creators.

Whether it was their fault or the coaching they received along with the tactics they had to employ, they have brought joy and income to the club. I don't think we should compare what is happening this season to their contribution at all.

If It could easily transpire that both Murphy’s and Pritchard will be relegated with their clubs this season. Though Newcastle may just have enough to survive. Maddison is the only player who seems to have made that transition to the Premier League successfully. 

Edited by ec-p

Maddison was the only one who looked to have enough about him to play for a top eight side. The rest are therefore much more likely to at some stage be in a relegated team.

The Murphy brothers are therefore very likely to be in that band of players that move from relegated to promoted teams on a fairly regular basis. Pritchard is probably in the same boat.

There are articles surfacing that Jacob isn't doing the business in training at Newcastle and is being left out of squads entirely by Rafa. Odd considering that his reputation would suggest he's a hard worker & good trainer.

Will always wish nothing but success for them both- great young players who gave us a lot and helped balance the books in a tough financial climate.

I'm not sure Jacob would have fitted in with the Farke style mind.

One of the things that I thought when they were at Norwich was that they were a bit one dimensional - talented going forwards, but a bit powder puff when tackled and even at 21/22 their overall games were not up to scratch - defensively and tactically still not there.  If you look at the young players brought in now, Cantwell is pretty good at getting back and tackling/regaining posession, Lewis and Aarons rarely get caught out.  Buendia is great going forwards and excellent getting back to help too.  

Good players, the Murphies have careers and will score goals, but for me it's a bit like the Snodgrass thing - just because you can look good some of the time, it doesn't make you a good player for the team.   We are in a phase at the moment where every player that plays is up to speed with what is required for the team. Long may that continue.

16 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

but for me it's a bit like the Snodgrass thing...

Funny you should mention Snoddy Lakey, I was thinking about him just the other day and thinking he'd be a perfect fit for this team with Aarons behind him. Can you imagine the one-twos with Max and the overlapping between them. They'd be deadly.

Unfortunately, Snoddy was before his time. 😢

10 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

Funny you should mention Snoddy Lakey, I was thinking about him just the other day and thinking he'd be a perfect fit for this team with Aarons behind him. Can you imagine the one-twos with Max and the overlapping between them. They'd be deadly.

Unfortunately, Snoddy was before his time. 😢

You are joking, I hope.  If Snoddy was in the team, Aarons would have to stay back to cover for Snodgrass's lack of gumption in covering back.   The last time I watched Snoddy, he gave up tracking back in a match his team were leading, just stopped and let an opponent have a free run, no effort to try and stop him. Blatantly just gave up on him.  Could you imagine Buendia or Cantwell giving up on opponents like that?  Would Farke put up with that?  Snodgrass needs to feel he is the main man - needs molly coddling - and the only managers prepared to do that were Warnock and Bruce.

The reason we are doing well now is because we have good players playing 100% for the team.  No prima donnas, no powder puff occasional wonder goal players, no selfish loners, just a good squad with a good team ethic and belief in what they are doing.

I think your memory is like those dodgy streams you used to watch lakey, fuzzy and blurred, and unable to see the whole pitch-ure. 🤣

• Haha 1

From football365

"West Ham chief David Sullivan once said his kids begged him not to sign Robert Snodgrass. Six months later – and 15 games without a goal – he was on his way to Aston Villa on a season-long loan that would have surely turned into a permanent move if Steve Bruce had managed to secure promotion. Somehow, he now finds himself as one of only four West Ham players to have played a part in every game this season, with his last three starts bizarrely coming in central midfield. He is not only creative but tigerish in his attempts to win back the ball.

“I’m working with one of the best managers,” said Snodgrass recently. “He’s won the Premier League and managed in La Liga and I can only learn from people like that. He’s been great with me, he’s always talking to me. That was the case from the off.”

Even Sullivan’s kids must now be impressed."

I don't think a manager of Pellegrino's experience would be playing a player that needs to be "molly coddled". Nor would Chris Hughton have done in 13/14 where he was probably our best player.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Will always wish nothing but success for them both- great young players who gave us a lot and helped balance the books in a tough financial climate.

I'm not sure Jacob would have fitted in with the Farke style mind.

Yep, agree with all that.

Typical Norwich fans criticising wingers as being 'inconsistent'. Find me one that's not. I love Buendia and Hernandez but they blow just as hot and cold. 

Agree Jacob doesn't suit a Farke side.

40 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Typical Norwich fans criticising wingers as being 'inconsistent'. Find me one that's not. I love Buendia and Hernandez but they blow just as hot and cold. 

Long term bugbear of mine- Redmond was one of the best players we've had here yet fans didn't like him as he didn't beat his man every single time.

49 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

From football365

"West Ham chief David Sullivan once said his kids begged him not to sign Robert Snodgrass. Six months later – and 15 games without a goal – he was on his way to Aston Villa on a season-long loan that would have surely turned into a permanent move if Steve Bruce had managed to secure promotion. Somehow, he now finds himself as one of only four West Ham players to have played a part in every game this season, with his last three starts bizarrely coming in central midfield. He is not only creative but tigerish in his attempts to win back the ball.

“I’m working with one of the best managers,” said Snodgrass recently. “He’s won the Premier League and managed in La Liga and I can only learn from people like that. He’s been great with me, he’s always talking to me. That was the case from the off.”

Even Sullivan’s kids must now be impressed."

I don't think a manager of Pellegrino's experience would be playing a player that needs to be "molly coddled". Nor would Chris Hughton have done in 13/14 where he was probably our best player.

The give away is in Snodgrass's own words - "He’s been great with me, he’s always talking to me. That was the case from the off." 

Needy.

Edited by lake district canary

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

The give away is in Snodgrasses own words - "He’s been great with me, he’s always talking to me. That was the case from the off." 

Needy.

Imagine someone needing lots of attention.

Can't think of anyone on this forum who fits the bill...

• Haha 2

If a head coach wasn't regularly talking to his all of his players I'd be severely worried. Farke is probably constantly talking to his whole squad about their progress and what he wants them to do. It's not being needy, you know, it's being called a "professional footballer".