Sign in to follow this  
mat gore

Dean Ashton

Will he ever score again ?

We seem to have destroyed the poor sods career.

Still at least he''ll learn how to give weekly interviews about "turning corners."

[quote user="mat gore"]

Still at least he''ll learn how to give weekly interviews about "turning corners."

[/quote]

I wouldnt go that far, he had a superb time in the premiership last season but to be quite honest he hasnt been his usual self since day 1 this season. He has missed hatfulls of chances, i remember reading a few weeks ago that he has the third most amount of shots in the division. The second game at crewe springing to mind. People say he isnt fit/that he needs an operation etc, so would be good to know whats going on, as he is our most valuable asset and right not is losing value every game (although our form, and especially our midfield dont help). Hope he gets back to form soon though, for himself and for us.

[quote user="mat gore"]

[/quote] yesterdays performance was ashtons worst since he has been here shooting and passing and heading was at times a joke and i would go as far to say pub team standard he also at times looked disinterested.

This may sound wierd, but he does only seem to play really good when he is pissed off with everyone else.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]

I have heard Ashton is a bit of a loner. Is this true?

At the moment his cup is definately half empty.

[/quote]

Depends, people seem to say he is a loner. But a friend of mine from uni (Who has little interest in football) says he had some classes with him at school, and apparently he was big-headed! Which personally I find hard to believe, but there you go.

Ashton is a class player, he hasn''t been at his best this season but isn''t really his fault.He''s having to create chances himself because of a lack of service. The problem is that we haven''t got an out and out wide player who will get crosses in. If we did he would probably have 10 -15 goals by now.

I don''t think Worthington has ever signed an out and out wing player, he''s just converted forwards or centre midfielders or full backs. please correct me if i am wrong

Personally I feel Ashton is quality but he since arriving at Norwich we have tried to change his style to match Worthingtons up and at them way. Last season he had scored 20 goals in this division before we took him into the Premiership playing in a Crewe team that passes the ball on the ground. This season we thump the ball up to Ashton just outside the area expecting him to win everything in the air - would he have sustained a fractured sinus if the ball had been played to feet - against taller defenders and find we have lost possession.

The quality of the final ball is often poor no wonder he doesn''t score. Now we are told he needs a meaner streak using his strength against defenders oh well more free kicks against us and more injuries for Ashton. As I said earlier under a different manager with supposedly a lesser standard of footballer in their team Ashton was doing better speaks volumes for our coaching staff.

That was what I was implying with the question really.

Nothing else sums up the mismanagement at the club up as well as this.

Excellent post Ridegeman!

So many people have picked this up yet Worthy can''t see it. He will reply with the ''more attempts on goal than anyone else'' argument. What he fails to say (or notice) is that the majority of those attempts are desperate, long range efforts where Ashton himself has muscled his way past opponents and shoot from 30 yards or so. We do not (in general terms anyway) play the style of football to suit him. Crewe did.

Worthy has taken the approach that Ashton must be converted to a hard running, back to goal target man and work his you know what off! Some of you will remember Ted MacDougall? He stood on the half way line with hands on hips but when the ball was played into the box he was one of the best finishers in the game. With someone like that who can get you 25 goals+ per season YOU PLAY TO THEIR STRENGTHS!        

This topic was (very briefly) raised at the supporters meeting in Diss last week but only in passing and no-one picked up the issue and ran with it. Result - club / management escaped again. 

I''ve said on previous posting re Deano, that anybody remodelling their

game will hit sticky patches - just look at Tiger Wood''s.  he had

a quiet 2 years before winning again big time this year. Deano looked a

ready made alan shearer replacement until he began concentrating too

much on his all round play rather than stuffing the ball in the back of

the net.

When he''s happy with all round performance, and relaxed about his

ability again, there''s no doubt he''ll score hatfulls again - hopefully

with city.

I would be amazed if Ashton is still here once the transfer window opens , a move that started so brightly  with Ashton scoring against some of the best in the Premiership has it seems turned into a nightmare for the lad. Fortunately most Premiership managers know his true abilty when playing in a decent side and Man City ,Everton,West Ham etc will save him from this bad dream come January , and now that Norwich have no aspirations of a return to the promised land the board will snap their hands off at any offer in the £5 million region. What a waste of a talented player , like Yellow Rider says Ted MacDougall is a great example of playing to a players strengths not trying to turn them into a jack of all trades , Super Mac would probablly get dropped for being lazy if he was playing for Worthington today but give that man a chance in the box and it was in the back of the net .....oh the good old days when Norwich could actually pass and play football.

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

Ashton is a class player, he hasn''t been

at his best this season but isn''t really his fault.He''s having to

create chances himself because of a lack of service. The problem is

that we haven''t got an out and out wide player who will get crosses in.

If we did he would probably have 10 -15 goals by now.

I don''t think Worthington has ever signed an out and out wing

player, he''s just converted forwards or centre midfielders or full

backs. please correct me if i am wrong

[/quote]

Absolute rubbish i have seen all the home games this season and a few

away and he has missed some sitters to say the least his passing at

times has been awful and he miss times all his jumps  you cant

blame other players or how the team play when you can''t find a team

mate from 10 feet or miss the target from 6 yards ,yes he will no doubt

be a quality player  but lets stop blaming it on worthys

tatics  the player has to take some responsibilty if he is not

reaching the standards we all expect.

i think we are starting to see Ashton as Iwan.

Iwan was a typical work horse, u could hoof it to him allday knowing hed do something with it and u could create an attack.

Not so for deano, i think he''s better with the ball to feet and it being crossed from wide then the big hoof... Deano has some skill and is faily quick so can make it work.

jas :)

spot on BarclayEndBoy.

Golden boy has probably cost us as many points as our much lamented defence with his wayward finishing. He has missed some golden chances close to goal and apart from his goal at Luton his long-range efforts have been pitiful.

His passing, shooting and heading have been dire at times.

We know he can do better so let''s stop passing the buck to the usual whipping boys.

I hope he returns to form soon .

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

Excellent post Ridegeman!

So many people have picked this up yet Worthy can''t see it. He will reply with the ''more attempts on goal than anyone else'' argument. What he fails to say (or notice) is that the majority of those attempts are desperate, long range efforts where Ashton himself has muscled his way past opponents and shoot from 30 yards or so. We do not (in general terms anyway) play the style of football to suit him. Crewe did.

Worthy has taken the approach that Ashton must be converted to a hard running, back to goal target man and work his you know what off! Some of you will remember Ted MacDougall? He stood on the half way line with hands on hips but when the ball was played into the box he was one of the best finishers in the game. With someone like that who can get you 25 goals+ per season YOU PLAY TO THEIR STRENGTHS!        

This topic was (very briefly) raised at the supporters meeting in Diss last week but only in passing and no-one picked up the issue and ran with it. Result - club / management escaped again. 

[/quote]

Now why didn''t anyone at Diss answer the old chestnut of why we don''t play passing football, simple, they don''t know what it is.

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

Ashton is a class player, he hasn''t been

at his best this season but isn''t really his fault.He''s having to

create chances himself because of a lack of service. The problem is

that we haven''t got an out and out wide player who will get crosses in.

If we did he would probably have 10 -15 goals by now.

I don''t think Worthington has ever signed an out and out wing

player, he''s just converted forwards or centre midfielders or full

backs. please correct me if i am wrong

[/quote]

Huckerby, Cooper, Harper