Sign in to follow this  
York Canary

Starting XI for Sheffield Wednesday (a)

There were some excellent individual performances at Bournemouth on Tuesday night, also some injury doubts for the weekend.

Based on what we know, what’s your predicted line up for tomorrow?

Mine is:

Krul 

Aarons Zimbo Klose Lewis

Leitner Tettey

Buendia Vrancic Stiepermann

Pukki

Subs: McCracken, Godfrey, Trybull, Marshall, Srbeny, Hernandez, Idah (taking homegrown rules into account)

It's unclear if Stiepermann will play or not having suffered tonsilitus this week. But in today's press conference Farke said he will travel. So maybe Vrancic could start.

Farke also said Cantwell isn't available, so you would expect Hernandez to come into the starting eleven.

Also interesting to hear they may struggle to meet the homegrown rule, so some of the under 23s may be drafted into the matchday squad.

Edited by Pyro Pete

Long injury list - Hanley, MacLean, Thompson, Pinto & Cantwell definitely out.  Potentially Lewis and Stiepermann too. 

Not sure who'll play left back if Stiepermann and Lewis are both out.

23 minutes ago, Woodman said:

Long injury list - Hanley, MacLean, Thompson, Pinto & Cantwell definitely out.  Potentially Lewis and Stiepermann too. 

Not sure who'll play left back if Stiepermann and Lewis are both out.

Left back is a huge problem. Three at the back including Godfrey is an option. 

Presumably Passlack would then play right back, with Aaron's moved to left back (where he did ok in the League Cup a while back).

19 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Presumably Passlack would then play right back, with Aaron's moved to left back (where he did ok in the League Cup a while back).

The more I think about it the more problems I can see. Aarons and Passlack are both short by modern day professional standards. Play them both and we would get a stream of crosses aimed at our back posts. It's a problem that needs sorting out in January. We have to have an adequate stand in for Jamal Lewis 

Really hope that Lewis makes it tomorrow, will be a big miss if he's ruled out, also will mean having a couple of home grown kids from the academy on the bench

I think 3 at the back is the way to go (assuming Lewis out). Presuming Marshall has recovered, that means he or Passlack can play RWB. God knows what we'd do if Max got crocked though. Marco at LB again??     :classic_unsure:

I was worried about Tettey starting on Tuesday, looks like I should have been worried about Lewis.  Let's hope he can throw it off.

Not keen about 3 at the back given Wednesday's main threat seems to be one of their wingers.

Given it is a hamstring I would rest Lewis tomorrow;  starting him with the number of runs he makes is asking to create a longer term problem.   We could go Godfrey right back and arrons left,  but for me I would stick with aarons in his natural position and build on his growing partnership with buendia.   Have lewis on the bench,  given we will also be without cantwell and rhodes and hope we dont have to use him.   Not sure which other youngsters are ready to take a bench slot,  but my pick would be.

Krul*

Aarons*  Zimbo Klose Passlack

Leitner Tettey

Buendia Vrancic Hernandez

Pukki

Subs

McKraken* Lewis*  Godfrey* Marshall* Srbeny Trybull Idah* 

Yeah, it'll be a back 4 and I'd assume Godfrey coming in at right back with Aarons switching to the left.

As for under 23s I'm not even sure Idah counts as homegrown. Not really worried about that as whenever I've seen the under 23s there have always been impressive players. Odusina, Kamal, Aransibia, and Spyrou all stand out.

Neither macracken nor Idaho are eligible either, which means McGovern on the bench and one of srbenny or more likely Trybull misses out as another of the u23s or Hanley warms a seat.

23 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Left back is a huge problem. Three at the back including Godfrey is an option. 

Passlack can and has played Left-Back.