York Canary

“It would be an abject failure...”

“...if we didn’t make the play offs at the end of the season from this position”

Mick Dennis on the AlongComeNorwich podcast.

Thoughts? Personally I think that’s rubbish. I’d be disappointed, don’t get me wrong, but we’re not even half way into the season, the league is tight as anything and in perspective, this season is promising to be a huge improvement compared to last.

Don’t get me wrong, the play offs (at least!) should be our aim, I just don’t think a well known fan who has links to the board should be putting pressure on with these sorts of statements.

B3F3C0EF-4BFE-4B69-A379-1E3CBFC3021E.jpeg

• Like 1

I seem to remember that his forecast for the season was full of negatives as well ... before a ball had even been kicked.

That latest utterance is utter nonsense. Has he watched the way we have been playing recently?

Totally agree with the op.  Upping the levels of expectation is frankly daft at this stage. The manager and team have to play on a game by game basis and we should be the same - over expectation is poisonous to a club and ever since Lambert left, the expectation put on players and managers has been at an unsustainable level. We have to learn to enjoy the process, not the outcome - and to be fair I think most of us do realise that and just try and enjoy the ride.  Mick Dennis - and anyone else that comes out with daft statements like that - should know better. 

Edited by lake district canary
spelling

Wouldn't be an 'abject failure'. If anything, with our budget and recent cost cutting and overall transformation of the club it should be seen as a success that we're in and around it.

• Like 1

I generally like Mick Dennis, but this comment is silly and probably him getting carried away in the moment. There are 10 teams within 6 points from the top of the league - and the Championship is always prone to fluctuations. 

I would recommend people listening to Nick Ma****er on the Talk Norwich City podcast, he talks a hell of a lot of sense and really sums things up well and in contrast to Mick he suggest a top 10 finish would be an achievement this season. 

7 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I generally like Mick Dennis, but this comment is silly and probably him getting carried away in the moment. There are 10 teams within 6 points from the top of the league - and the Championship is always prone to fluctuations. 

I would recommend people listening to Nick Ma****er on the Talk Norwich City podcast, he talks a hell of a lot of sense and really sums things up well and in contrast to Mick he suggest a top 10 finish would be an achievement this season. 

I would give this a listen but I can’t stand tweedle dee and tweedle dum from TNC 🚫

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Loving the nice and subtle swear detection.... Shame I can't seem to change the colour of the censorship mind...

17 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Loving the nice and subtle swear detection.... Shame I can't seem to change the colour of the censorship mind...

Makes me curious about Scunthorpe. Didn't AOL ban any mention of the place in the early years of the Internet?

Right now everything has been clicking and we've been performing really well although only winning by single goal margins. 

There was a comment about our last 10 game points return being the best in the EFL ?

It's all about whether we can sustain it or see a bit of a slump.

"Abject failure" is just a bit silly

We are currently looking very good and there are considerable grounds for optimism - however, I suspect that I am typical of many of us in fearing a "bubble bursting."

I have to confess I would be very disappointed if we didn't make top 6 this season, there's a depth & resilience to this squad that wasn't there last year. Not abject failure though.

Since I was initially expecting a 13th-15th finish this season, anything better is a bonus to those expectations.

Now we are as near as damn to a third of the way through the season and after Saturday, an even number of homes and away games completed, we ought to be able to get a reasonably clear picture of where it should finish.

When I did a survey of recent seasons the results seemed pretty clear that 90% of teams will finish up no more than 4 spots from where they are after 16 games.

Depending on Saturdays results I might be on the verge of predicting we go up and 1p5wich go down.😀

Wouldn't that be nice👍

3 hours ago, York Canary said:

“...if we didn’t make the play offs at the end of the season from this position”

Mick Dennis on the AlongComeNorwich podcast.

Thoughts? Personally I think that’s rubbish. I’d be disappointed, don’t get me wrong, but we’re not even half way into the season, the league is tight as anything and in perspective, this season is promising to be a huge improvement compared to last.

Don’t get me wrong, the play offs (at least!) should be our aim, I just don’t think a well known fan who has links to the board should be putting pressure on with these sorts of statements.

B3F3C0EF-4BFE-4B69-A379-1E3CBFC3021E.jpeg

Mick's an extreme happy clapper so surprised he's said something like that.

The longer we get into the season the more goal averages give a likely indication of the top two. Anything over two will usually get you promoted.

Leeds and Boro both over 2.1at the moment but still time to change.

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Totally agree with the op.  Upping the levels of expectation is frankly daft at this stage. The manager and team have to play on a game by game basis and we should be the same - over expectation is poisonous to a club and ever since Lambert left, the expectation put on players and managers has been at an unsustainable level. We have to learn to enjoy the process, not the outcome - and to be fair I think most of us do realise that and just try and enjoy the ride.  Mick Dennis - and anyone else that comes out with daft statements like that - should know better. 

So when the eternal optimists endless predictions finally look as though they might come to fruition he tries to tell us that we shouldn't raise our expectations and start dreaming of what could happen.

What could possibly go wrong LDC?

My head says that we will finish 8th as we just don't have the quality to score enough goals to be higher.

My heart says we are finding ways to win games despite not having that ruthlessness, and we'll be 2nd.

My wish says Norwich and Ipswich will bookend the table this weekend, and hopefully still come May.

2 hours ago, ron obvious said:

I have to confess I would be very disappointed if we didn't make top 6 this season, there's a depth & resilience to this squad that wasn't there last year. Not abject failure though.

That's how I understood  what Mick was saying, we're looking good enough to make top 6 now & that  he thought fans would be disappointed if we didn't make it

Mick is probably right, expectations have certainly been raised.

A poor run could easily dash them again but I think our results have been a fair reflection of how we've played. In fact we are probably due a lucky win for a change.

Keep up that unplayable one touch football and we'll be there or there abouts. 

Farke's philosophy appears to be working. 

That winner at forest showed the intent for me. 

Agree, it's a silly statement. I'm happy we're competing atm in a very competitive league. Top six is obviously desirable and achievable, but I wouldn't consider a finish outside of this a failure.

Once all the higher earners are off the books at the end of this season, perhaps we can look forward to being even more competitive next.

Abject failure is extremely strong. I think most reasonable fans would be happy with top 10.

However if we fall back badly from this position it would be real disappointment. 

• Like 1

At the start of every season every fan of every Club hopes that their team will either (a) get promotion and/or (b) avoid relegation.

By the start of November a significant majority will know that (a) is not going to happen so they are left hoping for (b).

We are are not in that position and we have a chance.

This League this season is not strong and we are as good as any of the other contenders.

Of course peoples expectations are high, it's what keeps you going week in and week out.

If you don't have expectations of promotion in November when you are in the top 6 and only a couple of points adrift, when do you?

Edited by Making Plans
Change

On 02/11/2018 at 10:40, BroadstairsR said:

Provincial hack trying to be insightful..

Sums it up 👍