Sign in to follow this  
LinkNR9

Is it just me...

...or do our players suffer more hamstring pulls / strains than any other team in the country? Are we doing the wrong training or warm-ups? I don''t have sufficient knowledge to guess why our players suffer with this type of injury so much - any ideas?

I brought this up during pre-season, when it looked as though we''d have to start the season proper with some important players unfit due to hamstring and other strains. It''s a definitely a question worth asking.

Zip it! [:#] I,ve thought about this over a long time. Ron Saunders did''nt have this problem with players because he and the players were subject to much more rigourous groundwork routines on mousehold hills where each player carried his like-weight colleague  on his back, at pace, up and down until they reached breaking point.  The terrain was rough enough to create different pressures that the body had to adapt and get used to. These were strength exercises and formed such an important part of the fitness routine, followed by the hard roadwork running to toughen muscles and sinews up so that the demands of a game of football is a picnic compared to the training regime, this was followed by a hot bath, followed by a muscle massage, done by players working together in pairs under the instruction of Saunders and a couple of PT instructors.  Our players are not strong or fit enough and whatever is preached by the club officials i''ll not swallow it. The work to get properly fit is not good enough,and running around on a soft grassy pitch will not deliver the fitness required I can assure you!!  The training periods were longer too.  Do away with the fancy gym training equipment and get down to pure hard work. Also one hour session every day on touch, tecnique, and dead ball striking plus all the other things that are necessary to the producing of a half useful footballer.  With the routines that i would advocate there would be energy to spend on making whoopee at the nearest burger bar come night club.

The Sherpas in the Himalayas are climbing the mountains to live, carrying huge back packs for hours a day, and you wo''nt find them suffering from torn ligaments and strained thigh muscles.  They don''t need a warm up routine before they start the asscent.  What a let down, when we hear from Huck''s on interview, a 27 year old man, who happens also to be our best footballer (he say''s) telling a reporter that the demands on a footballer were too much, and that to get fit for three 90 minute games a week were too demanding in the Championship, when compared to the demands of the Premiership, which were of a lesser nature.  Does''nt ring true for me when I look back on the peurile attempt they made of keeping there considering the benefits he outlined. Bunch of softies, me thinks!!!

[quote user="Old Boy"]

I brought this up during pre-season, when it looked as though we''d have to start the season proper with some important players unfit due to hamstring and other strains. It''s a definitely a question worth asking.

[/quote]

Its funny because when we won the league we seemed to have absolutely no injuries, this season we resemble the cast from casualty. Not sure whats changed, is it just bad luck?

I may be well off the mark here, but I''m sure that I have seen some evidence to suggest that out top of the range woven pitch may be to blame. I also seem to think that Souness has stopped training on such a pitch due to a rise in their own injuries.

My medical knowledge just enables me to tell the difference between my elbow and my posteria, but I wouldn''t bet against ''work rate'' being a factor. McKenzie was prone last season as he was expected to run around like a lunatic all game chasing hopeful passes. Safri obviously has groin issues, but again thats only happened since we have required him to be our midfield. I think Ashton has had hamstring issues for a while as I seem to remember him saying at a NCISA forum that he had to sell his mini due to his hamstrings.

. I think Ashton has had hamstring issues for a while as I seem to remember him saying at a NCISA forum that he had to sell his mini due to his hamstrings.

Probably wasn''t the mini causing the trouble it was the six inch stiletto slingbacks.

Rossi - I note your point about the Carra Rud pitch, but a lot of the injuries seem to occur at Colney. This would suggest that it''s the type of training rather than where they''re training.  

Thanks for pointing me this way, Beelsie and have to say I agree with you.  There is something slightly amiss with our training methods, we constantly hear of training injuries (or is that just a convenient excuse of a certain player not playing), I have yet to see anything resembling skill or ball work, all I have seen so far over the past two or three years is games of five/six whatever number a sides and corner and free kicks (though not too much of the latter).

They are not fit in either the physical or mental or technical sense and it''s about time the board opened up their eyes during one of their many visits up there and saw what is going on. 

well hamstrings are the most commenly injured muscle in football as it is the main muscle you use

prehaps we are pushing our player too hard in training?

prehaps the frestration of not winning is taking its toll, prehaps we need a new manager to fix things......