Sign in to follow this  
Jerzy Krukowski

Training and tiredness

This board never ceases to amaze, with the utter cobblers talked by some people. There''s a load of you moaning that the training is all wrong and is resulting in unnecessary injuries, and you offer some solutions like do some more skill training and less running about. Yet another bunch suggest they work too hard at the training which causes these injuries. Oh and they should get rid of the fancy gym equipment and just do hard running all the time. It must be all wrong, cos one of you plays for a Sunday league team and you don''t get these injuries. Oh dear god. They are professional atheletes and professional coaches!!! Playing games at this level is slightly harder on the body than some bunch of overweight lads running off their lager from the night before. Hucks never suggested anything except that playing this number of games doesn''t allow him to get over the constant battering and knocks that he gets. Just because they earn a fortune doesn''t mean they don''t get hurt. When someone comes on here that has coaching badges and states that training at colney is poor (having seen it) then perhaps it might be believable.      

Spat, your reference to the Sunday League part I am assuming is aimed at my comments on another thread.   Of course I wasn''t trying to compare Sunday League to professional football, I am not "that" stupid ;-)       I was trying, very badly to get across a point that on reflection isn''t that great anyway, but I still feel has some worth.   I will try again to put in different words to see if you grasp what I meant.

Sunday League - freezing cold mornings, overweight, often drunk, very unfit players, run out of the changing rooms straight on the pitch and start hammering the ball at the goal keeper with little or no warm up.    The result isn''t a bunch of pulled hamstrings, or sore ankles or lower back strains.  In fact we hardly ever have any injuries.

Professional footballers with all the state of the art equipment, facilities and coaches who go through all kinds of warm ups and warm downs, seem to be getting injured rather a lot in training.   These injuries are not even tackle related, but silly little strains to key muscle groups like hamstrings.

My point is how can the professionals be getting so many injuries with all the dedicated and professional support, whilst Sunday leaguers who play week in week out with little or no professional help, most of them playing midweek, Saturday and Sunday, hardly ever get injured?

To me this is weird.  Maybe it is just one of those things as Nigel and his staff keep telling us.

By the way I do have some coaching badges.   Obviously not the top ones though :-)

[quote user="StevenageFan"]

Spat, your reference to the Sunday League part I am assuming is aimed at my comments on another thread.   Of course I wasn''t trying to compare Sunday League to professional football, I am not "that" stupid ;-)       I was trying, very badly to get across a point that on reflection isn''t that great anyway, but I still feel has some worth.   I will try again to put in different words to see if you grasp what I meant.

Sunday League - freezing cold mornings, overweight, often drunk, very unfit players, run out of the changing rooms straight on the pitch and start hammering the ball at the goal keeper with little or no warm up.    The result isn''t a bunch of pulled hamstrings, or sore ankles or lower back strains.  In fact we hardly ever have any injuries.

Professional footballers with all the state of the art equipment, facilities and coaches who go through all kinds of warm ups and warm downs, seem to be getting injured rather a lot in training.   These injuries are not even tackle related, but silly little strains to key muscle groups like hamstrings.

My point is how can the professionals be getting so many injuries with all the dedicated and professional support, whilst Sunday leaguers who play week in week out with little or no professional help, most of them playing midweek, Saturday and Sunday, hardly ever get injured?

To me this is weird.  Maybe it is just one of those things as Nigel and his staff keep telling us.

By the way I do have some coaching badges.   Obviously not the top ones though :-)

[/quote]

In that case Stevenage, get up to Colney as fast as you can, you might just be able to save our season.  Please!

Stevenage, your post makes good sense.   Spat, With all due respect to your opinion. In my long life i''ve come to be very wary of experts and professionals in whatever walk of life they may emerge.  Iv''e seen them all come and go, masquerading under the guises, of trainers, coaches, business advisors, financial consultants, you name them.  They seem to cling to any thing where an easy buck may be come their way and generally it is the client who gets poorer and the advisor moves on to another mug who is clutching at the straws of financial or sporting success etc. 

Use the word expert, and Thalidomide immediately comes to mind.

Explore financial advisors and their credentials, are they generally rich financial consultants that look for a client to to get rich from? or have they become rich because they have cracked it business wise, and have become rich by exercising their accumen on their own behalf, have they decided that because they are rich they are going to scatter their pearls of wisdom in the direction of the poor to bring them up to their level of oppulence?

[*-)]Let''s move our thoughts in the direction of sport, and principally football.

You will find that most of the successful coaches/trainers etc are ageing successfull ex-professional players who loved their chosen game, who won medals at it and were known champions at the sport of their choosing, to whom coaching badges etc mean absolutely nothing.

The badge scheme is an introduction by the ruling bodies in sport as a method whereby they can measure an individuals knowledge in sport. At this point they can conveniently forget about actual ability to do the job. They can employ a product of this system with impunity because they can point to a structure or mechanism that has produced this budding pro!! do''nt get me wrong, there are some good people who come through the system and do actually become good coaches.  It was introduced to enable colledges to produce courses that would enable them to earn money from the training of youngsters for a popular choce in the job market.  Because of the candidates actual lack of practical experience, they then bring in job schemes under the watchfull eyes of job providers on the cheap.  leave that where it is, and think if you will, about Adrian Boothroyd who was on cities books as a coach. He was highly regarded by Worthy, as young and hard working coach who was able to inspire young players to work hard in training and aspire to be the best they could. Worthy desperately wanted to keep him on the books.  For some reason, he sought pastures new, much to my and the teams regret.

Stevenage, IMHO it is often best to train a body to put up with far more in training than is likely to be physically required in actual competition. To enable the combatant/player competitor to physically able to deal with any phsical or mental demand made upon ones person, it is indeed the way the SAS works, and it is the same with the Commandos the Army the Navy. All competitors in sport have to be trained with success in mind, with the team and team spirit always taking pride of place.  Pardon me for being long winded, and if you,ve managed to keep with me all this time, well done and thank''s.

Fair points all, the main thrust of my post was that  there seems

to be a constant round of sniping at every aspect of the management and

training, trying to find dirt where  there probably isn''t

any.  Ok , so professional qualifications may not be worth the

paper they''re written on, but I''d rather listen to someone with some

training rather than none (obviously there''s a few here who do have

some training). In terms of the injuries being non-tackle related, I''d

suggest that is unlikely. They may well get injured more easily in

training because they''re being pushed to physical limits by the

battering they get in games.  Many teams go through periods where

the''re unlucky with injuries, in our promotion season we were lucky,

it''s seems unlikely things have changed so much between now and then.

Stevenage, I know what you mean about the lack of injuries sometimes

when people basically don''t follow suggested guidlines for warming up

etc. The only conclusion can be that your team-mates are lucky, or it''s

to do with the body being under much less pressure in the Sunday league

situation. Try playing three times a week, giving 100% (hopefully!),

getting battered by big, strong pro footballers and I bet injuries

(either on or off the pitch) would increase enormously.