Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Great performance tonight

Carved out so many opportunities against a decent Bournemouth side.

Vrancic is pure quality in terms of his delivery into the box, through balls and general vision.

Srbeny should have had at least one, unlucky with the left footed effort to the post. Hernandez could have one or two more than he did and of course, Rhodes had an absolutely golden opportunity to send it to penalties.

Outplayed Bournemouth for large portions and should do the confidence no harm at all going in to Saturday.

Only thing that really surprised me was Tettey starting!

Agreed. Vrancic excellent. A few others caught the eye tonight. Shame to go out but onwards and upwards.

Yes our very best performances seem to be against PL or ex-PL teams. I think that is because they give you room to play, confident that they have that little edge on skill and speed of thought that will see them through at the end of the day. In the Champs it''s much more physical because those advantages do not exist.

We were the better team by all measures except goals. No shame in losing with a performance like that. Probably for the best not to be distracted from our main priority which is the league. Hopefully there won''t be any hangover into the game at the weekend. This feels quite different to the Arsenal game last season.

Slightly disappointed for big Dennis. I was hoping he could give Farke more of a selection problem, but it just wouldn''t happen for him tonight. Krul''s distribution is so much better than McGoven''s. Still, the rest of the fringe players look ok. Things look positive.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]It also showed what we are missing to have a proper go at promotion and that is goals taken.[/quote]

You are talking nonsense. We are not battering teams 4-0 week in week in out, but we are winning nearly all of our games these days - and that’s what gets you promotion.

[quote user="Alex Moss"][quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]It also showed what we are missing to have a proper go at promotion and that is goals taken.[/quote]

You are talking nonsense. We are not battering teams 4-0 week in week in out, but we are winning nearly all of our games these days - and that’s what gets you promotion.[/quote]

Agreed..lost to the fair play creating club... hate how people laud these cheats. We were unlucky

Sounds like we played well only concern is Rhodes finishing right now. Yes he scored twice v Villa but it feels like he''s missing a really good chance most games he''s playing.

Controversial, and maybe will look ridiculous in hindsight, but I think that was possibly the best result for us. A really excellent performance that everyone can take lots of positives from and doesn''t really derail our momentum, but at the end of the day, we could really do with focusing on the league.

I agree it feels different to Arsenal because we didn’t have to play 120 mins and our key players are not dead on their feet as they were at the end of that game. We have played very well again and I see no reason why there should be any loss of confidence/momentum from that result.

Pukki back is big. He gives us a dimension that Rhodes doesn’t with his running and ability to stretch a defence. He would be back in my starting line up for Saturday even if Rhodes could play, fitness permitting. His finishing is also just as reliable, if not more so.

Vrancic the other pushing for a start and if Stiepermann is not 100% after his illness I could see him starting as one of the three behind Pukki along with Buendia abs Hernandez.

Seeing Pinto play again just shows how good Aarons has been and how we have moved on because there is a noticeable difference between the two.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I agree it feels different to Arsenal because we didn’t have to play 120 mins and our key players are not dead on their feet as they were at the end of that game. We have played very well again and I see no reason why there should be any loss of confidence/momentum from that result.

Pukki back is big. He gives us a dimension that Rhodes doesn’t with his running and ability to stretch a defence. He would be back in my starting line up for Saturday even if Rhodes could play, fitness permitting. His finishing is also just as reliable, if not more so.

Vrancic the other pushing for a start and if Stiepermann is not 100% after his illness I could see him starting as one of the three behind Pukki along with Buendia abs Hernandez.

Seeing Pinto play again just shows how good Aarons has been and how we have moved on because there is a noticeable difference between the two.[/quote]
For me the significant point, as last night showed, is that despite the cost-cutting we have a surprisingly large squad, with good cover in most positions. Obviously in large part due to Aarons and Cantwell not just getting into the squad but becoming starters. I doubt anyone thought before the season started that Vrancic, for example, would not yet have started a League game (I think that is correct). And we have been without Marshall, Hanley and McLean. The latter, particularly, I saw as a key player. It does suggest we will maintain our challenge in the League rather than fade away into md-table.

Not massively surprised by Vrancic’s lack of involvement, seeing as the club were trying pretty hard to move him on in the summer - although the fact he has lost his place to Stipermann is a shock.

For a club that is suppose to be cost cutting the squad is probably a little too deep. Passlack and Pinto are both good enough to play regularly in the Championship but can’t get on the bench (mostly due to home grown rules). That is a lot of money in wages kicking around.

Once McLean is back the midfield will look ridiculously over manned, although there is no real back-up for Tettey. Hopefully Farke can keep everyone happy. The recent run has been largely thanks to an unchanged XI - that won’t be sustainable across a whole season so clever use of the squad will be vital. Some of lack of clinical finishing last night was down to a bit of rustiness from players lacking game time.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Vrancic the other pushing for a start and if Stiepermann is not 100% after his illness I could see him starting as one of the three behind Pukki along with Buendia abs Hernandez.

Seeing Pinto play again just shows how good Aarons has been and how we have moved on because there is a noticeable difference between the two.[/quote]
Thought it was a terrific team performance but Vranic was outstanding, as indeed he has been in his fairly limited appearances as a sub this season. So think his time for a start in the league has definitely arrived.
Completely agree about Pinto/Aarons - I''ve always liked Ivo but Max is clearly keeping his place on merit and has been amazingly consistent for a youngster.

The club were trying to move Vrancic on? Really? Is that because of the permanent arrival of McLean and Leitner? Seems odd to me if they were. After a rocky start, he really showed his quality at the back end of last season and has been unlucky not to be playing this season due to the form of Leitner, Tettey and Trybull.

Bournemouth are currently 6th in the PL so obviously not a struggling side and in form themselves. So to be able to perform the way we did against them suggests that we can compete at PL level with this squad.

I had some doubts whether it was too early for our young players to be thrust into the PL, but this game dispelled those doubts for me.

Now I think it important to push on for an automatic promotion place in order to keep this squad together. Players finding it difficult to get into the first eleven are more likely to stick around if they can see the prospect of PL football next season.

Some of our play is beautiful football at times, really looking forward to the rest of the season.

Woodman;

I presume it is due to midfield numbers, Vrancic being one of the higher earners now, his age and the fact Norwich would probably still be able to get a decent fee for him. It worked out well for Norwich with McLean getting injured and Vrancic being able to step in when needed. I wouldn’t be surprised if he left in January though.

Norwich will be brutal with their squad and anyone not proving value for their wages will be offered around. The beauty of having a Sporting Director and Head Coach means that Farke can avoid any major fallings out with players the club may be looking to sell as it isn’t really his decision. Farke can give it the ‘I don’t want you to go but Webber has made that call’.

I wouldn’t read too much into last nights game as to Norwich’s ability to make it in the Prem. Bournemouth made 8 changes from their league game and it showed in their play.

Just seen the highlights and our defending is really poor for both goals. But despite conceding twice, we still would have won if we had decent strikers. Created plenty of chances. So a bit of good and bad.

We also made 8 changes from our starting line up from Saturday. Arguably, our changes were more significant - a Premiership second eleven (or 8 +3) would expect to beat a Championship first eleven, let alone a second 8 + 3.

Srbeny a bit unlucky not to score with that shot which hit the post and came back across goal. He''s looking better but still you can see why he''s our 3rd choice striker.

Rhodes will be really disappointed with that miss near the end, despite getting 2 recently I think he''s not quite hitting the target as you''d expect given his track record. I hope he starts to click a little bit better and with Pukki fit we''ll then be well set up for strikers for this level.

Overall an excellent performance with our key players rested (except Tettey).

Agree, I think Vrancic is looking much improved, but just facing a lot of competition in that area of the pitch.

I guessed Bournemouth made a lot of changes, interesting to hear both side made 8. You''d definitely expect them to have a stronger squad than us, so the fact that our changed team was able to match their changed team overall, and it came down to hitting the post rather than scoring etc, bodes really well.

I hope Vrancic stays as he was terrific last night. But it wouldn''t surprise me if Bournemouth came knocking in January - on that performance he''d be an upgrade on Surman.

Can’t see Vrancic being on massive wages, Webber knew the score when he joined and cost cutting was obviously high on the agenda. And I’d be very surprised if we sold him in January, never know what will happen with injuries in the second half of the season - he’s a proven performer for us nowadays.

[quote user="hogesar"]I would be extremely surprised if Vrancic left in January.[/quote]

Yes would be disappointed if that happened - think he deserves a start ahead of Steiperman who hasn''t been at his best in last couple of games

The club tried to sell Vrancic and Stipermann in the summer, that is a fact. Nick Mashiter has confirmed it before if you doubt me.

While Vrancic isn’t on ‘big’ wages in comparison to players Norwich have sold recently, he is on more than Stipermann, Cantwell, McLean and Trybull. So is a top earner in the present squad. Webber will not want that chunk of wages being used on a player who isn’t getting more game time.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Vrancic stays the season, but I equally wouldn’t be surprised if he goes. From his point of view he is trying to get himself back into the Bosnia squad and being s sub at Norwich doesn’t help.

I don’t want to see him go, I think he is a lovely player - but he has struggled as often as he has done well. Leitner signing permanently has taken his place in the starting XI.