Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Worthy on 12 month rolling contract!

Great news IMO.  Nice to see it''s not one rule for the management and another rule for everyone else.  The board we have are sensible and it''s nice to see that the rumours of a 4/5 year contract are unfounded.

However, having said that, if he''s only on a 12 month rolling contract it''s clearly not a financial problem as to why he hasn''t been sacked yet.  If this is the case, how much longer are we going to have to put up with Worthington?

What does the title "twelve month rolling contract" mean?

Presumably it means that rumeration may be adjusted anually, hence the

reference to "divisional status". But what notice has to be given? Are

we committed to the end of the present season, only, or are we required

to give twelve months notice? The latter would be the more expensive to

buy out, obviously, even if we finish in division 1 next season. The

former, given that we are nearly half way through the season, would

require £100 to £300, perhaps, which surely would not be difficult to

find!

“With a 12-month rolling contract, you don''t have that fixed end date - it always has another 12 months to run.”

While such a deal might be unusual in football, it is, it seems, a widely accepted practice in the business world where a rolling deal''s flexibility - for both parties - is appreciated.

“A 12-month rolling contract is the absolute norm in business where a 12-month notice period is considered best practice,” said Doncaster.

Signed in the summer of 2004 on the back of Norwich''s runaway Championship title success, Worthington''s deal was designed to cover all eventualities. It was also a deal that wouldn''t have to be constantly revisited.

“The current agreement with Nigel was negotiated in the summer of 2004 and was designed to cover all eventualities - staying up in the Premiership, coming down, getting re-promoted.

[quote user="kennyfoggo"] “The current agreement with Nigel was negotiated in the summer of 2004 and was designed to cover all eventualities - staying up in the Premiership, coming down, getting re-promoted."

[/quote]

Covers all eventualities ? -

What about "Staying in the Championship" or "Getting relegated again" - presumably these scenarios were not considered as being possible eventualities. If so, doesn''t it mean that Worthy has fallen well short of the expectations of his Contract ?

In my book, that means the Board should act now.

they weren''t my words..

sorry I omitted that is was a quote from The EEN by doncaster..  I would have added exactly  ..MPFN

I take it this rolling contract was awarded on his record..of

Played  224

won       91

draw''n    55

Lost        78

not including cup/play off and taking from his forst game in charge 2000 until last saturday

i just dont believe Doncaster!

Wasnt it the EEN that reported that Worthington had signed a contract EXTENSION after we got promoted???? 12 month rolling contract isnt an Extension... also, wasnt it the same board that were delighted Nigel had commited his long term future to the club? im sure the EEN has archives of it at the press office?

Also, "it has no end date" is a key sentance... we could, theoretically, be stuck with him forever if the contract just keeps going and going until hes either scaked or leaves.

And i agree with whats been said above, "all eventualities" dont seem to cover staying in the championship, or going to League 1. so as has been said above this is a breach of Contract and a sackable offence.

Time to act then Munby, Doncaster, and the other "head in the sanders"!

jas :)

This issue does seem to be causing undue dismay.  Take it from me as a solicitor that contracts of this kind are indeed common in the business world.  They are also becoming more common in football.  I recollect reading that Sir Alex is on a rolling contract.

This is a much better deal for the club than a long fixed term contract.  True, the employment continues until either party ends it but that is true of almost all employment contracts.  I expect that 99% of employed posters to this site are on indefinite contracts which can be terminated on notice.  Only in football are fixed contracts the norm.

Effectively, Nigel is on 12 months notice.  Not unreasonable given his status.  Also a lot cheaper for the club to terminate than a long term contract with the majority of time outstanding.  A year''s salary would not be beyond the club if termination was what was wanted by the Board.  £250,000 or £300,000 perhaps.

We now know that it is not the cost of dismassal that keeps Nigel at the club.

So all of a sudden the board have deemed it fit to break ''confidentiality'' and report this 12 month stuff. It appears to me that initially the board were happy to allow the ''rumour mongers'' to assume worthy had a lenghty contract. Whenever anyone pressed them it was a confidentiality thing. Now it appears that the silence has been broken, but not Worthy''s contract - from what I understand the board dont agree with this as it would break continuity and stability. Do me a favour!

As far as I can see the only reason why they have done this is to further back the manager - the thought that we couldnt afford to get rid of him obviously didnt sit well with the powers to be.

There were five words that really stick in my throat at the moment; ambition, prudence, workrate, honesty and injuries. Another two have just been added.

Has anyone actually told the board that their love for all things to do with the labour party is indicative of the situation they find themselves in. Has anyone got faith in Tony / Nigel anymore? Is everyone pig sick of media spin? (Just look at Robinson in the edp today, well written Joe Ferrari!) Is everyone fed up of the word prudence Mr Brown /Doncaster? Is everybody niggling away in the back benches / stadium ,wrong ? Is the SCG (supporters consultative group) another select committee that forgets the obvious, or when it doesn''t the thoughts are ignored as unworkable (pensions anyone?)

I keep trying to be positive - but these nutters keep putting things in the pubic domain that wind me up.