Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

One rule for senior players and another for youngsters

Worthy has stated that Robinson will definitely start on Saturday because if you come in and play well you keep your place.  Where does that actually leave Rossi Jarvis because unless I am mistaken he had a good game when he last played.  Perhaps I am being a bit naive but it stinks of one rule for the senior players and another for the youngsters.

Silver Fox,

You are clearly in the same camp as me when it comes to Worthy and young players!

Ryan Jarvis has effectively been frozen out by Worthy for the last 2 and a half years now. Wasn''t he hailed as the most exciting talent to come through the ranks when he burst on the scene as a 16 year old? Now it''s the turn of Rossi to be shunned in favour of loan player after loan player. Didn''t he come on against Wolves and actually look as if he cared? What was his reward?

Worthy also has said about Safri....''a place has to be earned''. Totally agree Worthy. One question though - WHY DID YOU NOT APPLY THAT LOGIC TO A CERTAIN G. HOLT? 

You don''t think Gary Holt earned his place? Worthy''s talking about effort and desire here, and you could never fault Holt for effort and desire. He was what we needed at one time - looking to consolidate in Div 1, then move for promotion - and he deserves to be honoured for that. Safri could be a great player for us, but his output has been too small because of Ramadan, ACN, injuries and "fatigue". That''s the point that Worthy''s making, but he should have made it earlier and more forcefully, for the good of the Club.

Yes, but as far as I''m concerned, Robinson turned in an excellent performance and is an experienced professional. Rossi still has a lot to learn, and in our predicament, I would rather Worthington played the proven players.

Besides which, if Rossi turned in an awful performance I''m sure the usual crowd would be the first to chastise Worthington for playing our youngsters rather than experienced, quality players. By all means slate Worthington for his poor decisions and mistakes, but this witch hunt is becoming increasingly tedious.

Im not sure Id want to use young players at the moment, I think its a big ask to stick them in a struggling side and perform both mentally and physically, better to give them a good run when theres not much to play for (unfortunately or fortunately) this hasnt been the case in either of the last 2 seasons...where Worthy has been poor is not allowing them out on loan to get some footie.

Worthy is probably worried that young players will have their confidence destroyed before it can be built up by a crowd, some of whom think it is clever to berate Ian Henderson who has more heart for this club than probably anyone else on the staff.

I think you have missed the point I was making in that Worthy said if you played well then you stayed in, therefore why didn''t Jarvis be given another chance?  I would expect an experienced professional to turn in an excellent performance, but it must speak volumes for an inexperienced youngster like Jarvis when he turns in an excellent performance.

The biggest boost to these youngsters confidence is to know that the manager is prepared to pick them again when they have played well, not to drop them straightaway.  I''m sorry if you think this is a tedious witch hunt, but in my opinion Worthy doesn''t give any of our youngsters a decent run in the first team.  It defeats the object of having an academy to provide a steady stream of good youngsters, because we cannot compete financially with the bigger clubs, but you have to bloody well play them.

Just as an aside I.Shurmer, have you seen where we are in the league with our so called experienced senior professional players.  I certainly wouldn''t chastise Worthy if he gave the likes of Shackell, Jarvis brothers, Henderson, and young Cave Brown a run in the side.