Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

What is it with Eriksson? James? Kirkland? Green?

Ok, this should make for an interesting discussion. I see Eriksson has picked Robinson as his No.1 keeper (agreed), Calamity James as his No.2 and poor Robert Green as No.3 keeper. Sven came out today and has said Kirkland would have been No.2 had he not been injured. So I ask myself...is there any point in Robert Green being there at all?

Now I rate David James as a very good goal-keeper, however, his best days are behind him now and he is not the future of England goalkeepers. Also, I feel that in his last performance as England keeper, he admitted afterwards that he was not prepared for the game at all. This in my book is as good as a cardinal sin and everyone would have thought that he would never put on an England shirt again, especially at his age.

Paul Robinson has established himself very well and in my book is one of the best English goalkeepers around at the moment...no problem for me there.

Now, Chris Kirkland. This is a decent goal-keeper but is very injury prone and to my knowledge as no England experience at all? Am I right? Spent many years injured at Liverpool and as soon as he signs for West Brom...is suddenly Ok! Smell a rat? Anyway, his fault or not, he is injured again.

This leaves us with the last of the four England keepers, our very own Robert Green, with 45mins of England experience. Now I like Robert Green and will try to comment in an un-biased way. Norwich are hoovering above relegation in the Championship so this is not helping his cause one bit. He has more experience as an England keeper than Kirkland and more Premiership experience than Kirkland. David James gets dropped after an abysmal performance, admitted he wasn''t prepared and was dropped from the squad. With Kirkland injured, this surely in any un-biased way, would put Robert Green in at No.2 spot? Surely. He must be feeling really down at seeing David James leap-frog him. And to know that a fit Kirkland would also be ahead of him too.

I remember when Robert Green first got selected for England, it was not Sven''s doing. Ex-England keeper Ray Clemence recommended him to Sven and spoke very highly of him. I now think Robert is only in the England squad but of Ray Clemence. At Robert''s age, he should have a few England caps to his name already and looking forward to the World Cup in 2006. The update is that if Chris Kirkland is fit in time for the World Cup, it looks as thought Sven will go with Robinson (1), Kirkland (2) and James (3). What a shame. The next World Cup will mean Robert Green will be four years older and in his late twenties.

I get the feeling though that Sven picks people based on his relationship with them, like when he said he would "always" pick a fit Michael Owen even if he wasn''t scoring and not on form. And David Beckham would "always" be his captain even though ever since the Rebecca Loos saga, Beckham has hardly been worthy of a single cap. Owen Hargreaves is another one.

Of course, we could look at it positively and say it is a priveldge to even be picked into the England squad in the first place...so stop complaining!

I think the only way Robert Green will be going to the World Cup is to have one of the following senariosactually happen;

1) Norwich never let in another goal all season

2) Robinson, Kirkland and James all break an arm

3) Green gets a big money move to the Premiership in January

4) Sven is sacked as manager and Ray Clemence takes over

Sorry to waffle on but I would like all your thoughts on this.....

Yup ! 45 minutes England experience in a friendly , in which he let in a goal ... good going that !

If one of your scerio`s come true , and he never lets in another goal all season , I`ll start to believe in Sant Claus !     but we all know  by now that Greeno just isn`t England material  , last season illustrated that only too well ,  ol` butterfingers   damaged his CV big time  ,  did ANY club  make a move for him in the close season ?   ... not one !  

Pete:

I seem to remember Worthy being in charge that season...so can''t be that.

Ummm...maybe it has something to do with the 4 players pretending to play as a defence in front of him!

I agree that as things stand Green will not be going to the world cup. Of the options listed I think number 3 the most likely. Green must know by now that he has to leave Norwich to stand any chance internationally. Admittedly he hasn''t had a good season for us, but IMO is at least the equal of if not better than Kirkland but needs to be playing in the Premiership to be considered.

I also feel that if Green were to play in Germany I would be more than a little concerned. Robinson is head and shoulders above the rest and beyond him England are struggling.

I feel sorry for the treatment that Green has suffered at the hands or Erik(sson) the viking. Imagine what it must feel like to be the poor relation everytime you turn up for for a squad basically being told, either literally or by implication, that you''re good enough to make up the numbers but no better than that. Number 2 keeper gets injured but don''t worry we''ll just ship in another player above your head and you can hand out the drink bottles and play right back in the practice games.

To my mind, and please be aware I am not an england fan so maybe I lack the emotion required to understand this, Greeno should tell the english setup he wishes to concentrate on his club form as opposed to constantly having his confidence eroded by his national team. Maybe then he can force his way into the managers thinking and be able to hold his head up high.

Go on Greeno tell them where they can stick their offer of being 3rd / 4th choice keeper. They won''t let you near the bench so concentrate on proving them wrong and playing your socks off for the people who appreciate you. But like I say maybe I just don''t get it ....

if sven isn''t gonna use greeno he shouldn''t be picking him, it''s unfair to the lad

personally now james has his feet back in the door i think greeno england days r sadly numbered!!!

OI SVEN SORT IT OUT!!!

[quote]Yup ! 45 minutes England experience in a friendly , in which he let in a goal ... good going that ! If one of your scerio`s come true , and he never lets in another goal all season , I`ll start to b...[/quote]

The only big money move in the keeper department was Davis (ipswich to Sunderland £1m) all the others were on frees, Would you have accepted £1m for Greeno? I''m sorry to say this but he needs to move in January if he wants any chance of being in Germany.

As for James - how many chances do you give a man?

Much as I like Green his confidence looks shattered after the last 15 months or so and appears a shadow of the keeper who got into the England squad originally. I think a lot of this is down to the abysmal defending and not knowing what''s coming at him. Playing with good defenders like Terry would only rebuild his confidence if he played with them week in week out and knew they would deal with running midfielders, close down the 25 yard shots and not lose men in the penalty box. So I think he''s doing well just to be in there at all.

Having said that I do think that when in the squad he should have been tried more in the friendlies, particularly in the summer in the US but also against Denmark. That''s the only way to learn and test him. I don''t think Erikson has much confidence in Greeno and frankly at the moment its hard to disagree with that, poor fellow.