Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Dickson Etuhu in on loan

I''m sure the doom and gloom merchants will say hes a donkey, but looks like a great signing to me.
Now can we all stop the sniping and get behind the team, manager included.
Hes still fighting, even if half the "supporters" have thrown in the towel.

[quote]I''m sure the doom and gloom merchants will say hes a donkey, but looks like a great signing to me. Now can we all stop the sniping and get behind the team, manager included. Hes still fighting, even i...[/quote]

Personally I think this is a good signing and I really do hope it''s "with a view to a permanent move".  He seems to have gone a wee bit stale at Preston but his signing does me renewed optimism.  Well done Worthy.

He can''t get here quickly enough! i watched him tread all ippos midfield on the TV. Physical presence is just what we need! The end of Jarrett methinks.

Well i`m very pleased with that. Didn`t realise he was only 23, thats younger than Francis was when we signed him and exactly the kind of age range we should have have been snapping up in the last year and a half- taking advantage of our higher profile- instead of going for unmotivated journeymen. When i`ve seen him his similarity to Francis as a player (hopefully not as a person though) has been uncanny, he seems to also have the Francis knack of `switching off`at times which is probably why he hasn`t moved to a higher level. Hopefully though as he`s still young this tendency will diminish.

Etuhu and Safri in the middle with Hughes as back up, now that sounds MUCH better. Still no right winger though and the board HAS to find money to further strengthen our pitiful squad by at least four more players if they can be at all serious about fully backing the manager. Don`t forget we could well lose 2 of our best performers (Safri,Davenport) soon. Etuhu is a very good start though IMO.

[quote]To ask an obvious question - if he''s any good why are Preston letting him come to us?[/quote]

That''s the worry Balham.  Here are some comments by some Preston fans:

"He''s not performed really since his first season, you see fleeting bit but no where near consistant enough!!

Wouldn''t want to see him in a struggling side, he''ll spend more time injured and suspended than on the field."

and another

"Thought he would be when we signed him. He seems to have gone backwards. When we first signed him he looked like the next Patrick Viera now he looks like the next Carlton Palmer. If someone can build up his confidence and get him working again he could be an excellent signing just seems like he started believing his own hype."

Decent prospect that will boost our midfield.   Stick him in the middle with Youssef, Hughes on the right unless we can get another signings who can play right midfield...

OTBC

Just another body is well what he could end up like.It will only be a excellent signing if he''s played in the correct posisiton.As we know at Norwich now,anything can happen!

"To ask an obvious question - if he''s any good why are Preston letting him come to us?"

Wigan would have asked the same about Francis. Seems he just wants a new challenge (or his agent does!) A google has come up with info that might suggest he''s quite like Francis in more ways than one, hopefully he''ll be superb. Looks to be just what we need.

"For some reason his agent more than the player himself wanted to get him out of here, but only with our blessing. He tried to get him out in what was the wrong way and he found he couldn''t do that."....Keegan Jan 2002, on his move from Man City

"A DICKSON Etuhu master class inspired Preston North End to a 4-2 win against Sheffield Wednesday, suggesting his new club may have picked up one of the bargains of the season.

The 19-year-old former Manchester City midfielder, who joined the Lilywhites in a deal initially worth £300,000 in January after deciding his future would be best served away from Maine Road, scored the first goal with a thunderous header and created the fourth with a powerful run through the Owls defence.

And his all-round display also earned the praise of Preston boss David Moyes, who said: “Dickson played really well.

“He was the one player who kept us going and kept us together.” Feb 2002

The signing may just be what we need, to start others in the team - the commitment and endeavour we have needed, like the arrival of Hux just two years ago. It could be the catalyst.

But I have two questions
1)Assuming that he is mobile and has lost none of his ability, why does he want to come to us and why did Preston agree - probably a good transfer fee in prospect for Preston, but what is in it for the player? Is he as fit as he was, after injury? Why, having turned a £1m bid from Everton just a few months ago, are Preston allowing him to come?

2)Can he pass, can he control the ball? Damian was O.K. on this, but his successors, apart from Safri, are decidedly not. What I am really saying is, he has a record as a goal scorer, which we sadly need from the midfield, but how well will he fit into passing movements and how well will he be able to provide service along the ground to Ashton?

There are hints from Preston supporters that he can be a little Damian-like, and fade or lose interest, and after a fantastic first year he is not quite the player he was.

I have these nagging questions at the back of my mind, but I still hope that his presence will be enough to transform our season, even if it is too late for promotion and Worthington continues as manager. There has to be a massive amount of team re-building before we can hope to be a "Charlton", let alone a "Wigan".

That quote was nearly years ago Spat!   The bloke is clearly talented and is a good addition to the squad.  

What is clear is that he comes with an attitude (he clearly has not been applying himself at Deepdale recently) and a desire to improve himself. This may mean a repeat of the Francis scenario in a couple of years time. 

What Worthy has to do is get the best out of him and then we will have an very good signing, but his signing does come with a health warning.

OTBC

Seems like a Poor Man''s Francis.  It must be hard to attract loan/permanent signings with our current league status.  The comments on one posting are too out of date -  2002, to resemble any suggestions he''s a top class midfielder.  Preston/Everton fell out over his transfer fee I believe so it never went through, and this suggests he''s been pretty p*ssed off with the current Preston set up.

Having said that, 6ft 2in presence in Midfield is a decent additions, and lets hope - for once in our midfield this season - he gets stuck in, I can count on one hand how many 50/50 balls we''ve won this season from our midfield. 

If the midfield can support both defence and attack, we WOULD be a top 6 team, but this has been our failing all season - not supporting defence/attack.

Done a little digging around appears Etuhu may have gone a little stale recently according to his stats aswell as by mere observation. Maybe a change is just what he needs

Dickson Etuhu
Position: Midfield
Place of Birth: Kano, Nigeria
Date Of Birth: 08/ 06/ 1982 (age23)
Height: 6''2
Weight: 13st 0lbs

So far this season has got 2 goals in 13 games (706 mins). Has not always made Prestons starting 11 (only six times) Has played a full 90mins 5 times this season, read into that what you will.

This Season
Appearances: 6(7)
Goals: 2
Yellow Cards: 1

Not great reading in my eyes and his career stats don''t differ to much from that failing to make the starting line up 16 times in 38 apps plus only 2 goals last year!!!! Not great for a goal scoring midfield. Looked pretty hand before that tho so maybe what they say about losing interest at PNE is true

apps goals

Preston 2004 - 05 League 22 (16) 3

Preston 2003 - 04 League 23 (8) 3

Preston 2002 - 03 League 33 (6) 6

Man City 2001 - 02 League 11 (1) 0
Preston 2001 - 02 League 16 (0) 3

PNE officail site description

Dickson bears the mantle of being the last of David Moyes'' signings for club and the legacy the Everton manager left at Deepdale is a bright one indeed, so much so that it is often rumoured that the former Deepdale boss still coverts this midfield Dynamo.

Likened to Patrick Viera by many, in both looks and style, Etuhu is an energetic midfielder with a good engine for getting up and down the pitch. He also weighs in with his fair share of goals and is particularly dangerous with his head from corners.

Etuhu graduated from the same Manchester City Academy that produced the likes of Shaun Wright-Phillips, Joey Barton and North End''s very own Tyrone Mears. He qualifies for both England and Nigeria at international level, and almost received a shock call-up to the Super Eagles 2002 World Cup camp after impressing in a training camp.

Last season was a disappointing one by Dickson''s standards starting just 21 games, with just one of those coming in the last 17 of the season but he is determined to stamp his name on the North End squad.

yeh my general opinion on the guy is: that is seems quiet a good player!

whats his position?, centre-midfield? could he play on the right?

answers on a post-card please.

[quote]This is the signing we should''ve made when Damo left. Good work Worthy, if a little late.[/quote]

Apparently we made an offer at the start of the season but everton were involved as well so everything was put on hold so we can''t blame worthy for that one.

I have to say ''Well Done Worthy'', now a right winger please.

PS Please don''t play Dickson at left back or centre forward - just plonk him in the middle and let him do his thang..........

[quote]To ask an obvious question - if he''s any good why are Preston letting him come to us?[/quote]

Give him a chance he has not played for us yet.

You can say that about any player that is on a transfer/loan list from any league in football why are they trying to get rid of the player.

Chris

[quote]That quote was nearly years ago Spat! The bloke is clearly talented and is a good addition to the squad. What is clear is that he comes with an attitude (he clearly has not been applying himself...[/quote]

FAO ZLF, Yeah I know the qotes were old, I was merely showing that he seems to have two sides, can play very well but also perhaps has an attitude/application problem or a dodgy agent. Just like our dear friend Damien! Let''s hope it''s the midfield dynamo we get.

[quote]I''m sure the doom and gloom merchants will say hes a donkey, but looks like a great signing to me. Now can we all stop the sniping and get behind the team, manager included. Hes still fighting, even i...[/quote]

So effectively then we''ve got him for 2 months minimum - fair dues but in all honesty is one player going to turn our season round and no matter how good Dickson is, is he really going to make that much difference ?

Not only that but it''s a player that Preston, an average mid table side to be generous, obviously want to get rid of - why ?

Furthermore, what if he doesn''t stay - it''ll be like another Lisbie, merely a token gesture to keep the fans happy and off the Managers back for a few weeks. 

You cannot build a team to seriously challenge for promotion around loan players, regardless of if they are long or short term loans.

What we need is real investment in the team with permanent quality signings of players with proven ability.

Instead all we get is some other Championship side''s unwanted cast off for a couple of months, who has probably come here for a run out because he can''t get a game at his own club.

Sorry NCFC but you need to do better than this before I''m convinced that anything is changing.

"Now can we all stop the sniping and get behind the team, manager included."

So let me get this right, Herb. Three months too late we sign ONE midfielder, who can''t even get into his own team (which is in the same Division as ours) and, suddenly, there''s a blazing light, a fanfare of trumpets, we''re going to be racing up the table straight away and Worthington''s a brilliant manager.

Priceless.