Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Service to Ashton

It is obvious that with bettert sevice Ashton would have scored far more goals and Norwich would be higher in the table. And i think thats what they need to focus on in the next few games. Ashton needs good service and hes not getting it. It is ridiculous having a player as good as Ashton and not making the best of it. Top priority in January should be a quality winger. However much it costs we need a good right winger to supply the crosses. And attacking midfielder should also be a priority as they will break down defences and add to the service to dean.

Northern, I think part of the problem is how Worthy is telling him to play. He goes wide a lot and I think that is something he has been told to do.

I remember reading/hearing something about how Ashton played between the posts at Crewe, but that he can''t do that here. Why exactly? He was doing a lot better there.

I do agree with your points, though we could do with a new almost everything

OTBC

Worthy OUT

Another factor is that Deano''s confidence is shot to bits, so pulling out wide gets him out of the spotlight for a while.

I disagree, mighty yellow, players have minds of their own (small ones in some cases, admittedly) and if Ashton isn''t getting the ball where he wants it, he''s bound to go looking for it!He''s not instructed to drift wide in games, he does it through sheer desperation at the failure of the midfield to work it to him any other way.

[quote]I disagree, mighty yellow, players have minds of their own (small ones in some cases, admittedly) and if Ashton isn''t getting the ball where he wants it, he''s bound to go looking for it!He''s not instr...[/quote]

Barman. I know what you mean but Worthy once said in an interview that Deano couldn''t just play in between the width of the posts, and my question is why? I want him to, as I said, it worked alright at Crewe!

OTBC

Worthy OUT

Worthy has repeartedly said that Ashton has to play differently to how he did at Crewe - working the wings and coming deep are part of our managers game plan and yet another example of our coaching staff can ruin good talent.  Adams too has confirmed that Ashton has been asked to change his style of play.

Why can we play to our best players strengths?   Ashton needs the ball to feet and in dangerous areas.  The number of genuine chances we have created is small, sespite the sta of most shots and worst shot to goal ratio, which is driven by desperation to score leading to numerous inappropriate shots from distance.

Until we have a gameplan and a quality of midfield to deliver that game plan Ashton has to go and find the ball as otherwise he will remain isolated and uninvolved in a game, feeding off long ball hoofs and aerial battles, which is not what his game is about, and never has been.  Deano is not a Iwan; he is far better than that but is being stifled by service from a chronic game plan.

OTBC

OTBC

Deano, poor Deano. He thought by coming here he would finish off the last touches to his game and become one of, if not the best English striker in the game.  Well coached and schooled at Crewe, he was on the brink of a glittering career.  He had everything, touch, physique and a sound knowledge of where to be to score hatfuls of goals.

Norwich City, ah we need a large target man!  Someone who can just pop it in the net from a goal kick or a cross from deep defence.  He''s tall and not a skinny little thing, won''t be easily knocked off the ball, ideal!  Buy him we won''t need to buy anyone good for midfield, Greeno can supply all the goals!  Also, some big club will come in in three or so years'' time and he''ll be worth a fortune! 

Poor Deano, brought up on service (good service to feet) in the box, crosses from real wingers, balls through from centre midfield, a striking partner who is in the middle with him, not on the wing.   Er, not at Norwich.

In my very humble opinion, Deano should go back to Crewe, have a stint of proper coaching and then go to a proper football club.  He may not have been physically fit when he came here, but he had good feet, good technique and a footballing brain!  Now he has been ruined in less than a season...

After all, Worthy and co could make most of us fit enough to run around for 90 mins, but he couldn''t make us great footballers.  It takes more than running around to be a great player, something sadly Worthy is fast finding out.

I honestly believe Ashton is out of form and not the Messaih a lot of us make him out.

Thus far he could not hit a barn door right position or not, OK service should be better but there is no excuse for missing some of the sitters he has wasted.

Personally having seen him several times away this season I would drop him given a fit Peter Thorne

interesting...when on form though Ashton is top 10 strikers in the prem, the end of last season proved that!! (his goals against newcastle and man utd)!!

[quote]Another factor is that Deano''s confidence is shot to bits, so pulling out wide gets him out of the spotlight for a while.[/quote]

I would suggest that his ambitious shooting is not from somebody who "wants to hide" but somebody who''s trying his best to get us out of this rut. Maybe one or two others might follow his example

I only saw the goal from last nights England U21 match on Sky Sports News. It was Deano playing a great pass into the midfielder making a forward run into the box. As I say didn''t see the game but if anyone did, how well did Ashton do in a team that played the way we all dream City could?

Agree with your point Drinkell. Ashton is shooting from all other the place for a number reasons:

1 - No one else even looks like they will score for us at the moment

2 - He is trying to get the team and himself out of a rut

3 - He knows that one goal could turn things around

4 - He is a confident player, and if one goes in, he could score a hatful

The forgotten man of this discussion and of numerous others is McKenzie - Ashton hasn''t looked the same since Leon''s injury because one thing Leon does even if he doesn''t always score goals is run his socks off along the line, pulling the defence out of position and giving Ashton some space in the middle. We simply haven''t replaced that style of forward play and when combined with a crap central midfield we''re always going to struggle to score. Bring on Dickson and a recovered Leon as soon as poss!

Are we conveniently forgetting the numerous golden chances that Ashton has missed from the start of the season?. We could have significantly more points had Deano scored when it looked easier to score than not.

Yes, the service could have been better but his finishing could be better too.

Likewise, all this talk of missing Leon. Whatever the reason he was dire prior to his injury this season.

There''s no doubt they are our best choice partnership up front but their form has been as inconsistent as their colleagues. I know we all have our favourites and whipping boys but all the players have been culpable for our plight at varying degrees including Ashton.