Sign in to follow this  
shardy

Worst NCFC team of all time

Very disappointed to see Holt in there - what short memories some posters have. Anyone remember the 2001/2 season? It was not his fault he was selected last year. If the boss asked you to do a job, I''m sure you would all try your best, which is what he did. Whose fault was it that a player who was not up to playing in the Premiership was selected ?!

As regards the "Worst Ever XI" - I''m amazed that no-one has mentioned the legend that is Ulf Ottoson, my own nomination for the team.

Here''s a story about him from the summer when he played at Southend ten years ago. Some painful memories!

http://new.pinkun.com/search/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=CapitalCanaries&itemid=NOED26%20Jul%202005%2007:53:42:463&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=search

I few controversial selections in there

Some I agree with, some I definitly dont.  Trevor Putney was an influential player when we finished 4th. Gary Holt was a superb player in his prime. I liked Rosario too, scored some corkers, included a cracking volley at Old Trafford i remember. Ulf Ottosson, lol, remember him scoring a hattrick on his reserve debut. Think the Daryl Sutch nomination is a bit hard as he''s remembered more for his appearance in the playoff final than previous years good service. Didn''t he score the last ever goal at Roker Park too??

1. - Simon Tracey, 2 - Victor Segura, 3 - Fernando Derveld, 4 - Kevin Scott, 5 - Steve Walsh, 6 - Peter Grant, 7 - Shaun Carey, 8 - Chris Llewellyn, 9 - Darren Beckford, 10 - Dean Coney, 11 - Keith Scott

[quote]I''m really irritated by people who put Gary Holt in any Worst ever XI. To do so, just suggests that they never actually saw him play in 2001/2 playoff year, or indeed the season after. Limited ma...[/quote]

So Hucktastic because I put holt in my worst XI does that make me a new fan (did you travel all the way down to exeter to watch us in the FA cup) who doesn''t know what I''m talking about. The season he won player of the season I''d never really noticed what he did, but have to admit that he did seem to be here, there, and every where, so I decided to watch him for a match near the start of the next season to see exactly what he did do, and he spoilt every game he''s played for us ever since, for me anyway as I couldn''t stop watching him. I couldn''t believe he got away with what he was doing on a football pitch and fooling so many people, you included.

But as I have said in a previous post on this topic this is my opinion and I don''t want a gary holt debate again thank you.

I know it''s an opinion but how can anyone put steeno in there side.

I almost agree about Goss but he scored some great important goals for us so he''ll go down as a legend for ever.

kolin still can''t see your worst II

Forgot about Victor Segura, Keith Scott

Can''t remember muzinic or what ever his name was

Robo007 you really have got a good, crap side there congrats, spot on (who the hell was kevin scott)

Being young, i can only base my selection from the mid 90s

Marshall

Louis -Jean  Segura   Charlton     Derveld

Stuart    Jarret  Des Hamilton   De Waard

Elvis Hammond     Coote

when i said bellamy i didnt mean him exactly, i meant his era at norwich city, when he was there norwich were battling relegation. youve got to say, his best move was the one from norwich, and it gave us some much needed cash aswell.

what about akinbiyi, he is doing great at the moment!

[quote]Firstly, to those of you who put Trevor Putney in their list, shame on you! Did you ever actually see him play? He ran around like a fox in the hen house, tackled like a nutter and was part of a...[/quote]

Goss?! How dare you! Surely Thomas Helveg has to feature somewhere on this list? He claimed to be an international with years of top flight experience but had to be helped through Premiership matches (namely the one at Old Trafford) by players who had never played on that stage before.

Apparently quite disruptive in the dressing room as well.

[quote]So Hucktastic because I put holt in my worst XI does that make me a new fan (did you travel all the way down to exeter to watch us in the FA cup) who doesn''t know what I''m talking about. The season he...[/quote]

In the early 80''s , signing various unknown eastern bloc players became the vogue for clubs in the top flight.Most of the big boys were signing them with varying degrees of success - Kazamerez (?) Deyna was a huge success at Man City.We jumped on the bandwagon quite late on by signing Muzinic (when most of the good ones had already been snapped up - sound familiar?).

He was a Yugoslavian midfielder who had been a huge success in the Yugoslavian league and had been capped many times for his country.He was hailed as a free scoring midfielder and our potential saviour but didn''t speak English and didn''t seem willing to learn.He was absolute pony and I cant remember seeing him play more than a dozen games in his time here.As I remember he was also a club record signing at the time.

We weren''t the only side to be stung in this way at that time though , I seem to remember Man Utd buying a player called Jovanovic (?) who was an even worse Yugoslav player.

Keith Scott was a central defender that we bought from Spurs after having him on loan for a month.He started at Newcastle and I seem to remember him being a regular for them for quite a long time and he was even touted as a potential England centre back.After he left Newcastle he became injury prone and Spurs were happy to let him join us where he continued to be injury prone.I think he stayed here for a couple of years before he went back to the North East (Hartlepool ?).

He was also complete pony but not to be confused with Keith Scott - the striker.He was a player that came up from the Conference with Wycombe when O''Neill was their manager.He scored loads of goals for Wycombe but then when he started to move elsewhere they dried up.O''Neill decided he would like to link up with him again here and swapped him with Stoke for our previous record signing (and fellow useless striker) Mike Sheron.Scott barely played for us and was totally out of his depth anywhere higher than the bottom 2 English divisions,he spent most of his time on the bench but he did score the occasional late consolation goal.Sheron ,meanwhile,went on to score a bucketload of goals for Stoke.Keith Scott was also garbage but not as bad for City as the host of other garbage strikers already mentioned in this thread.

[quote]Firstly, to those of you who put Trevor Putney in their list, shame on you! Did you ever actually see him play? He ran around like a fox in the hen house, tackled like a nutter and was part of a...[/quote]

You''re right , Putney ran around a lot - like a headless chicken.I dont remember him being an instrumental part of that squad''s success at all - more of a hindrance if anything.Don''t you remember the collective groans whenever he received the ball (a bit like Jarrett nowadays) ?

He was also a binner (swapped him for Deehan as I remember) which didn''t help him.Dont remember him doing much for Middlesborough after he left us either.

a bit Harsh seeing Briggs in some peoples teams... he did only play 5 times for us... 4 of those as sub iirc!

mine is.

1. Tracey (should of gone home to sharon!)

2. Che Wilson

3. Steve Walsh

4. Kevin Scott

5 Matt Jackson (purely due to his attitude both on and off the pitch)

6. Shaun Carey

7. Graham Stuart

8. Raymond De waard

9. Ulf Ottosson

10. Ade Akinbiyi

11. Zema Abbey

nothing short of a joke.. each and every one of them!

jas

[quote]a bit Harsh seeing Briggs in some peoples teams... he did only play 5 times for us... 4 of those as sub iirc! mine is. 1. Tracey (should of gone home to sharon!) 2. Che Wilson 3. Steve Walsh 4. K...[/quote]

2 things - should have rather than should of

Secondly, Matt Jackson was a great captain of the club.  End of.

Shardy ,

Before Mr Pedantic picks me up on it - I should have said Kevin Scott was a defender we bought from Spurs (not Keith).

[quote]2 things - should have rather than should of Secondly, Matt Jackson was a great captain of the club. End of.[/quote]

I agree Dicky that jackson is far from the worst player we have seen in a city shirt and t was a sad day when we had to sell him to survive.

As you have entered the debate what would make up your worst 11 then?

OTBC

Tracey

Briggs                Blades                 Derveld          Bradshaw

De Waard           Milligan                Grant             Easton

Coney                 Beckford

Bench(From):

Walton, Walsh, Segura, Kevin Scott, Anselin, Andy Roberts,  Coote, Sheron, Cottee, Broughton