Sign in to follow this  
breaker

Transfer budget committed

Apparently Roger Munby has stated that the signing of Etuhu (if it goes ahead) would commit ALL of the transfer budget - does this mean we will not be able to extend Davenport''s loan? Should we/can we call an end to Marney''s loan to release more funds?I guess that puts an end to the rumours about Arwjen Robben''s potential loan to City................ah well!

yeah, that concerned me a little as well, although i would rather keep etuhu than davenport (providing he plays well, obviously). is it possible, however, that munby might have been referring to the wage bill only, and not transfer fees. personally i doubt it, as i doubt very much we would spend much more than the 2mill ''morrison money'', and i expect davenport to go for 2mill plus, and etuhu to be a million at the least.maybe, we could get davenport on loan for the rest of the season though? can anyone foresee any obstacles in doing this?

Hopefully it''s all a smokescreen. If not then we''re paying far too much for Ethu and the line that money would be available for squad strengthening in the summer was bull as we''ve spent nothing not already brought in on player sales

i do not believe that. I would be suprised if Etuhu was worth 2 million and if we want to get out of this league we have to show some ambition and spend a bit of money. The right wing problem wont solve itself

Etuhu will probably cost a reasonable amount - Everton tried to get him for the best part of £1m; imo it''ll be that figure or slightly more - small price to pay if he can indeed be the replacement for Francis that we need - and for less than the Francis transfer fee; whilst it would be great to be able to keep Davenport and Etuhu I would say we need Etuhu more, a decent midfield offers protection to the defence via retaining (and regaining) possession and not losing the ball in daft positions like we have been doing.

When talking about the finances you do have to remember we have committed a fair amount of money on Davenport and presumably also on Marney/Etuhu (and even Lisbie): loans do cost relatively large amounts of dosh.  We need to also remember that we have committed much more on Ashton than we had initially intended, in giving him his new contract, so this will have taken a fair bit out of the kitty.

Shall we bring ourdelves down to a realistic level. If etuhu was worth 2 million and he''s as greater signing as worthington is having us believe surly a premier club would have snapped him up by now. I know one thing this club is a great PR machine, anyone remember how great Jarrett was supposed to be when he arrived? Don''t get me wrong I am hoping that etuhu can be the saviour and kick start this club, It''s just I''ve heard it all before. Not once but on many occasions.

Munby means what he says !  but that doesn`t mean  automatic purchase of Dicko !  he has  till Christmas to prove he`s worth the asking fee , if he performs well . then  fine !!  if not  I don`t doubt there are contingency plans  .....  so , its all  down to Dicko now ...

We can''t extend Davenports loan till the end of the season because season long loans have to be done before the end of the summer transfer window, any loans after that can only be upto 3 months long, and i think im right in saying you cant loan a player 2 times in one season when the duration of the loan(s) is over 3months

i think we can cancel marneys loan and keep davenport, but will worthy want to- he loves marney!!

as much as i want ethuhu in our team, for me davenport has been a massive relevation and i think we must keep him so i would choose him over ethuhu.

dickson couldnt cost more than a mil surely, davenport would be 1.5-2.0mil.  unless munby is expecting a sale which i would lose davenport and ethuhu for anyday

[quote]i do not believe that. I would be suprised if Etuhu was worth 2 million and if we want to get out of this league we have to show some ambition and spend a bit of money. The right wing problem wont sol...[/quote]

We don''t have £2mil in the bank - remember it costs money to loan players, that figure will be throughily depleted by the loan of Kevin Lisbie, Calum Davenport and now Dickson Etuhu.

I do think that Worthy will kick up a stink if he needs cash and the club will back him if they believe it prudent. As they seem to think the sun shines from certain orifices of Mr Worthington they probably won''t object.

If they are "fully behind" him then why dont they support him and give him some money. Our summer dealings were absolutely awful. We need to get some quality or we wont go anywhere

The club make an alleged 2 million pound bid for Clinton Morrison, which is rebuffed.

Neil Doncaster then says, as mentioned in a thread on the official canaries site, and in other sources (Wonder if will get accused of being a faceless rumour mongeror for saying this?), that it was never 2 million pound available and that signing Morrison would of meant selling someone in January.

Now munby comes out and says we can afford Etuhu and that would eat up the budget, yet some fees being touted for Etuhu are 2 million. so either Munby, Doncaster, Worthington, or the press are telling us a little porky...

There is either money or their isnt, there isnt a lot, or we will need to sell someone (ashton) in january for lots of money.....

Club to reply???? i imagine not.. suffice to say i doubt, as the saying goes, that the "backside knows what the elbows doing" in this respect/... at least have a bit of clarity and check back on what you have said in the past before coming out with things like this city!

jas

I would be surprised if Etuhu cost any more than 750k, as for Davenport I think we can sign him in the january window until the end of the season.

Don''t get all worked up by what Munby says, remember he once said that the club wouldn''t risk buying Hucks, (in fact he told me that personally as well as numerous press releases at the time), and then what happened?  Er.... yeah, I know Delia put some money up and there is also some anonymous benefactor paying some of his wages, but he went back on his word once and he can do it again.

What he is really saying is there won''t be any new people in during the transfer window, Worthy has selected his target ie recent loan signing and that''s it mate. 

Quite frankly I don''t blame the board do you?  Some of Worthy''s recent signings have hardly set the world on fire, so would you, as holder of the purse strings continually dole out money?  No, until you saw some hard evidence that it was justified.

I believe personally, Munby and the board have writtten off this season and will deal with the consequences of such at the end of the season.  Why Worthy''s summer signings haven''t worked needs to be looked at, amongst other things and then they all need to decide what, as custodians of our club, they really are aiming for, is it promotion or just staying in this league.  If it is promotion then they have a lot of heartfelt thinking to do, cos it ain''t working out at the moment.

We never had £2m  - that came from Bham not us and worked as they got more than £2m from palace eventually - and the rumour remains that Leon would be going to Reading to fund Morrisons purchase.

Since Aug we have eaten into the remaining Â£1m-ish pot by bringing in Lisbie, Davenport and now Etuhu and as such the remaning Francis money will probably be eaten up by signing him permanently.

As far as spurs loan signings goes claction is right with his summary.  we can only have a max of 2 players from any one club at a time.   This is limited to one short term (less than 90 days - Davenport) and one long term signing.   Marneys loan can only be cancelled if both clubs agree to it but neither side appears to have requested this.  

As such Davenport will return to Spurs in early Dec and the only way he will be back in Jan is if we buy him - and Munbys statement suggests we wont be able to do that, without selling someone first.   Hopefully Shackell will be fit and ready to take Calums place come Dec...

OTBC

[quote]Don''t get all worked up by what Munby says, remember he once said that the club wouldn''t risk buying Hucks, (in fact he told me that personally as well as numerous press releases at the time), and the...[/quote]

Wouldn''t you go back on your word about buying Hucks if people suddenly came up with the money? I can''t believe you reckon you shouldn''t trust Munby because he said we wouldn''t buy Hucks, that''s just ridiculous.

There''s a lot of old flannel being spouted on this board at the mo, and our new wonder signing hasn''t even kicked a ball yet.

I think we should all say a silent prayer for what we really need: A nice run of injury free weeks, a settled team who can finally work together without thinking who they''ll be playing alongside next week, some confidence building wins and a cracking set of results in the run up to xmas.

And let''s remember, a solid run of results in this league puts us in a play-off position.