Sign in to follow this  
LinkNR9

So where does this leave Hughes?

I presume that Etuhu will go into the centre of a midfield four with Safri. So where does this leave our joke of a captain? I can only hope that he stays on the bench. Perhaps Worthington will play him at right back; actually, no, he can''t do that because he''s already promised his other favourite, Fleming, that he can play there.  

Or we could play 3 in midfield and 3 upfront. Safri, Hughes and Etuhu in midfield and Huckerby, Ashton and another player upfront

Sorry but i''m afraid that Hughes will have to settle for a place on the bench as looking at Ethtu stats he clearly looks the logical choice of the 2. I can''t agree with Hughes as a right winger you have to be joking, if i was Worthington then i''d put Paul McVeigh there as he is the only type of player who i think could play there. Upfront i''d continue with the pairing of Ashton and Henderson until McKenzie returns, i think that in time Henderson and Ashton will get to know each other and improve their understanding. As for changing formations again i disagree with a 4-3-3 because we''d get caught out and our play again would be the long balls up to Ashton which simply doesn''t suit us Norwich are the type of team who need a big midfield to compete and get stuck in. A 4-4-2 would balance the books. I''d stick with the back four against Wolves in defence. With Safri and Ethtu in midfield we have 2 good all round players. And then on the left i''d stick with Huckerby with McVeigh playing on the right as he for me is the only solution until we buy a right winger. upfront i''d continue with HENDERSON AND ASHTON. TEAM FOR Luton game would be:

R.GREEN

COLIN   DOHERTY   DAVENPORT   DRURY

McVEIGH      ETHTU      SAFRI      HUCKERBY

ASHTON   HENDERSON

On the right wing i suppose. Worthy wont drop him, cos he''s captain. P.S

Green

Colin   Doch     Davenport      Drury

Safri

Hughes          Etuhu          

Mcveigh 

Ashton          Hucks

How about the diamond, never been a great fan ofit we now have 3 centre midfielders and on inform wingers. Hucks should play up front, cos if not we look weak at the back. Mcveigh is better playing in the hole behid a front 2, not on the wing

[quote]On the right wing i suppose. Worthy wont drop him, cos he''s captain. P.S Green Colin Doch Davenport Drury Safri Hughes Etuhu &nbs[/quote]

It''s a nice idea but if we play the diamond against a team with width/decent wingers then we''ll be slaughtered. 4-3-2 is a better bet, with Huckerby given a free-roaming role like he was during the promotion season.

Green

Colin / Davenport / Doc / Drury

Hughes / Safri / Etuhu

Huckerby *anywhere*

Ashton / McVeigh

Id still drop Hucks and go for a 3 man Midfield with Safri, Etuhu, and Rossi Jarvis in the middle.

Id have Hendo up front with Hucks and McVeigh just behind them where he can curl it towards goal and be more direct.

4-3-1-2, ok so maybe it sacrifices width but the full backs will be coming forwards anyway, and McVeigh could drift wide to get the corsses to hendo, ashton and and in Rushing Etuhu

jas

[quote]hughes on right - cross against palace for deanos goal. enough said.[/quote]

Hughes'' cross in the Palace game was a fluke. He couldn''t do that again if he had 100 attempts.

Agree with everyone about McVeigh over Hughes on the right but am very surprised everyone wants to stick with Drury at left back.  Give me Charlton over him any day in that position. 

Drury''s unbelievably poor at passing - he just refuses to look up. He needs 3 touches of the ball before he can do anything with it....and as for throws-in... well, watch him next time he''s playing (not too soon, I hope).  Count the 3 touches and watch him throw the ball away.  It''s pathetic.  Back to basics, I say! 

Not sure it affects Hughes, he will play on the right. Jarrett will be pushed so far down the pecking order he will cease to exist. Already he has been usurped by young Jarvis. Dickson and Safri will provide our first all African midfield and Huckerby will continue on the left. The only fly in the ointment is the fat contract Jarrett is sitting on, which will ensure his appearance at many a reserve team fixture for the forseeable future.

Have to say my first instinct was 4-4-2 and that Worthy will play Hughes on the right but i do quite like the look of the 4-3-3 for home games. Don''t forget we played 4-3-3 for much of the latter stages of the Championship season when we had Hucks, Leon and Svenno up front. Team could be:

--------------Green---------------

Colin---Davenport---Doherty---Drury

------Hughes---Safri---Etuhu------

Mcveigh------Ashton------Huckerby

I think the answer will be anywhere other than the bench.....I understand the possibility of McVeigh but I don''t think he has the fitness to play 2 games a week. You also have to consider the option of a midfield 3, as already mentioned but dont forget Safri''s likely departure to the Nations Cup. Once all thats said and done, with our form on injuries they probably wouldn''t be fit at the same time anyhow. Nige may look to rotate Safri to keep him fit, or play Saf as a holding player with two ortadox central midfielders. You have to remember though, Nigel loves his options and i agree. It''s a shame that Etuhu isn''t a replacement for Hucks, he needs one heck of a kick to the rear.

Anyway we are all wasting our time no-one can predict the team that Nige picks, that''s a thought, I wonder if Thorne can play left wing too ?? lol.

How about:

--------------Green-------------

Colin--Davenport--Doherty--Drury

------------Safri----------------

---Hughes---Etuhu---Huckerby---

-----Henderson-----Ashton-----

All these attempts at formations just highlight the fact that Norwich have no effective right winger; and have not since Kevin Harper. Any team you pick is lop sided and Ashton gets little service from the flanks. Drury is a good full back unfortunate to be regularly exposed by Huckerby who also fails to see his runs and pass to him. We only need a new central midfielder because what we have got fails to do the job. The value of Francis was that he would run into the gap caused by the centre half doubling up on Huckerby. Jarrett has done it a couple of times, let''s hope Etuhu does it all of the time. We need a clear out!

Team for saturday:

Green

Fleming       Doc    Davenport    Drury       

Henderson   Etuhu      Safri    McVeigh

Ashton  Thorne

Subs: Ward, Colin, R. Jarvis, Brennan, Huckerby

agree with Jim Smith.  We kicked ass when we played 4-3-3 at the end of the season in the championship. lets do it again!!

In answer to the original question re Hughes - how about River End cheerleader - there''ll be plenty of empty seats soon and we know how good he is at clapping and shouting...