Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Optimism ?

Quite honestly I can''t believe the sudden rush of enthusiasm from numerous people on this board just because we''ve got an average addition to the squad for a month or so.

Doesn''t it just show how desperate they have become when as a result of one loan signing, before he''s even kicked a ball in anger, they think he is going to be our saviour.

What evidence is there of this ?

Do you really think that he, no matter how good he is, and there''s a lot of doubt about that, can make such a difference that virtually overnight, our team of non performers will miraculously turn into World beaters and we''ll go zooming up the League. I mean, if he is that good, and if he can inspire a very average side into life, then why isn''t there a queue of Premiership Clubs wanting to sign him ?

Surely such blind optimism is merely hiding the fact that we are a bad team with a bad Manager and I for one, will remain as pessimistic as ever about the rest of the season until there''s a change of Manager, or I actually see some evidence on the pitch that things are turning round - and I''m not confident that I''ll see either.

I rather agree with you XTC. It would be nice to think that Etuhu will galvanise the team like Hux did a couple of seasons ago, but that may be asking too much. But I don''t agree that a change of manager will solve everything. It goes deeper than that IMO - we need a change of philosophy within the Club. We need to demand more from the players and the staff in return for their wages (which shouldn''t give them too much stress, given their current workload:wage ratio), and aim to match the best rather than the rest in terms of preparation. I''m sure that good players would be motivated if they felt they were being stretched. I know it won''t come all at once, but at the moment it ain''t coming, ever. There''s a huge appetite for football in NCFC''s catchment area, and they (I prefer to think of it as "we") need to satisfy it.

i have seen him play. he is top quality, thats where my enthusiasm comes from, and we have him for good, a deal is as good as done for January you would imagine, PNE wouldnt have let him go without some kind of silent bid from us.

Spirits have sunk so low so quickly City Fans will grasp at straws, unless further additions to our threadbare squad the current goodwill will not last into December when we may have lost 4 successive away games.

Worthy not out of the woods by a long chalk, when you go take Mumby with you.

Making plans for, I think I would describe your outlook as blind pessimism.Of course Etuhu''s signing (which is clearly a pre-window permanent deal) is not going to turn us into Chelsea, but surely you must at least admit the possibility that he will make a positive difference.This board has been so full of abject negativity of late. It used to be a place of solace when things weren''t going well, rather than a pit of self-loathing and despair. Let''s at least permit ourselves a bit of optimism for once.

The following remark isn''t so much racist as it is a given fact: African, as with most Asian footballers that play in the English league are injury prone athletes and they''re especially prone to injury when things aren''t going their way Etuhu, is by no means an exception to this given fact & already has a track record of playing up when faced with a little criticism - Whilst at Man City he purposely skipped training sessions, caused problems with his contract and even failed to report for duty before a vital christmas game against WBA Inside information from a Preston source tells me of similar behaviour within his club.

So now we have a pair, Safri & Etuhu in midfield, by all accounts our weakest area on the pitch -- They''re both decent players, but will they stay injury free (even in the face of adversity via a little constructive criticism) long enough to gel and lead City to a stronger position in the league?

I fear not.

First good signing since....... last January. The team has been missing a creative and strong attacking midfielder and now we have one. I didnt think anyone was getting too carried away

Etuhu WAS top quality when he knew the premiership big boys were looking at him..

on one hand im excited about him being here as we know what he can do.. however, the fact of the matter is that Preston have premiership ambitions and have loaned this "good player" out to a side at the arse-end of the division in the relegation battle...

They obviously fgeel Etuhu isnt up to the prmiership, or isnt better than what they already have, and they arent the best team in the Division it has to be said

jas

Why the rush to judge Etuhu before he''s played - either way?. I''d prefer to be opitmistic - if makes me feel better! - but likewise lets not get too carried away. For every Francis there''s a Jarrett, for every Safri there''s a Jonson, for every Edworthy there''s a Colin , for every Dicky there''s a 1st Wizard. And for every pessimist there''s an optimist. Different strokes ......

He''s a bench warmer at Preston.

I see where the opitimism is coming from! :S

[quote]I rather agree with you XTC. It would be nice to think that Etuhu will galvanise the team like Hux did a couple of seasons ago, but that may be asking too much. But I don''t agree that a change of mana...[/quote]

Interesting post Old Boy, and I agree that the board''s thinking does need to change.  If they are truly happy with the way things are, then they need to ask how long then will it take us to get back to the promised land and if it is achievable given the restraints they have set (in financial terms).

Worthington is not doing his job if they want promotion, if they just want to stay here for a few years, then in their eyes maybe he is, but then they need to look at the consequences of staying put for a few years. 

If things are too cosy as you suggest, and I would be the first to agree with you, then it is up to us, the fans to tell them we expect rather more than we have had so far this season.  If we don''t get promotion (which is rather likely) then what will their end of term report feature? Bad luck, injuries etc etc, rather than pointing the finger at the real reasons? 

It all adds up to an interesting second half of season IMO and at the end of it, reall questions need to be asked as to where this club is going.

Not sure why I too have felt that surge of optimism...   I suspect that it is the sight of the manager finally doing something to address the weakest area of the team with a young player who has some potential even if he comes with no gaurantee, together with a week when City have not subjected me to another abysmal performance combined with a desperate need to want my team to improve their season with a little finger hold on the impossible dream of promotion.

Underneath that I know that it is too little too late and that the squad is too thin for 1 signing to really turn around a poor season driven by managerial incompetence and that the club will only truly progress after the dismissal of Nigel  - but I feel cosy for a day or two so will enjoy it while it lasts....

OTBC

[quote]The following remark isn''t so much racist as it is a given fact: African, as with most Asian footballers that play in the English league are injury prone athletes and they''re especially prone to injur...[/quote]

Perhaps replace "given fact" with "sweeping generalisation" shyster and your post might make sense.

The following remark isn''t so much racist as it is a given fact: African, as with most Asian footballers that play in the English league are injury prone athletes and they''re especially prone to injury when things aren''t going their way

Shyster - that is a disgraceful comment and most certainly is racist. Please either attempt to explain in more detail or apologise. I''m sorry but that''s not the sort of ignorant nonsense that we need on this board.

[quote]The following remark isn''t so much racist as it is a given fact: African, as with most Asian footballers that play in the English league are injury prone athletes and they''re especially prone to injur...[/quote]

Why is when someone is about to say something racist it''s always prefaced with "I''m not racist, but" or "this isn''t racist, but" etc? Utterly pathetic bigoted comment Shyster, that''s the only fact

If he was a player known to be a pain then why did Moyes try and take him to Everton? He of all people would know him, he signed him and worked with him at pne and he wouldn''t touch him with a bargepole if what you say is true. He has got talent and if we can get him playing to his strengths he will be a big asset for us.

Patrick Vieira? Claude Makelele? Give me a break! What a load of tosh!

GOD! Why do people have to be so ignorant?!! Shyster - to which Asian footballers do you refer? And can you show me the statistics to prove your given "fact"?

And can you please explain the following short list of ridiculously injury-prone players who, last time I checked, weren''t African or Asian:

Jonathan Woodgate, Jamie Redknapp, Ryan Giggs, Darren Anderton, Michael Owen, Chris Kirkland, Craig Bellamy.

I am sick to the back teeth of arguing against blatant ignorance, racism, xenophobia and general wrongness.

SORT IT OUT.

[quote]Etuhu is the best player we could have possibly signed, particularly with the position we are in. Fair play to Mr Worthington for bringing him in. When I have seen him play he does look top quality, s...[/quote]

well said dh i think he will be a great addition another worthy gem to go with hucks ashton saf marney davenport the list is endless.Makes you realise how lucky we are to have such a good manager.But you are still getting certain posters on here slating and doubting him before he has even pulled on the jersey its as if some of them want him to play crap just so they can get at worthy its a sad world sometimes.