Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Mackay or Shackell

Is the time right to replace Mackay with Shackell?

I think it is crucial that we start to open up a gap at the top from day one in the new year. Now that we have a strike force that is mobile we need to play the ball out of defence and I believe Shackell is the man to give us that option. When he played against Cardiff he marshalled the back four, ensured we didn''t defend too deep, but most importantly he passed the ball out of defence and created goal scoring chances. I would have liked to have seen him up against Duncan Ferguson yesterday as I believe he would have handled him better than Mackay.

Malkay has been a great servant and despite playing well recently against Ipswich and Derby, I feel we need to bring in Shackell now. If he comes in and it doesn''t work then put Mackay back in again. I also think that Shackell has the makings of a future captain on the pitch.

As much as I agree in principal, Malky is one of the bravest players we have. When the going gets tough, you need a Malky around. His goals will be invaluable as the season goes on too. Our defence is pretty mean as it is and although Shackell is a good prospect, Malky has seen it all. That, I think, gives him the edge for this season. If/when we go up - well, I think he may well have to take a well-earned rest!

This becomes a more and more difficult decision for Worthy by the game. Did anyone agree that Malky messed up badly for Everton''s first? He got caught on the wrong side of their scorer and in the end didn''t even challenge for the header. It''s not the first mistake he''s made this season but i agree he has heaps of experience and much of what he does goes unsung. That''s the trouble with defenders, especially central defenders - when they''re doing their job you don''t really notice. When they mess up, it''s magnified.
Worthy has talked himself into a whole though because after the Cardiff game he said Shackell would have kept his place if the next game was against anyone other than Ipswich. But he didn''t play against Forest or Derby. Will have to wait and see for Bradford but not holding out much hope!

I think NW is playing the situation well using Malky and Craig as the central pairing - look where we are with them playing well this season. Jason Shackell is definately one for the future and will undoubtedly feature again before too long but in the interim, he is learning and improving from being part of the super setup that has been created at Norwich.

I cannot remember being so optimistic about the future for City since those days in the early seventies when we first got promoted to the old Division One under Ron Saunders.

The board and management at the club should be congratulated for the way that they have gradually turned things around and made our beloved club one to be reckoned with once again.

i have gone to a number of norwich matches this season, and i have not seen mackay play a good whole 90 mins. i think he has been a great servant for the club, but i feel that the time has come for him to be replaced by shackell in the starting lineup. shackell is youthful and is more skillfull. I feel that if we are to be promoted this season (hopefully), then shackell should be starting for us in the premiership.So there is now a no better time for him to be our starting centre back.

Although Malky has some outstanding qualities as both a central defender and a team-mate (such as his gigantum height and scotish resiliance) we do suffer because of 3 inabilities of his. These are, in my opinion, as follows:

With each passing match he appears to get slower and slower
He has a very prominent tendancy to foul ''his'' man, which we have been extremely lucky to go unpunished for in the past (especially as this usually happens within the penalty area!)
His distribution out of defence is horrendous

Now, all this said I wouldn''t change anything for the moment (at least until the next poor game where we can still afford to make one mess up in the league) as we have a superb defensive record, in fact it''s the best in the league. I think the argument for not changing a winning formula still just about stands. Jason Shackell appears to be a magnificent prospect, and decent young central defenders are quite difficult to come by these days, so I very much look forward to his introduction to the team (although NW has taken an inexcusable amount of time to fade Roberts out of the first team, so we may well see Malks playing long into his decline :-s!)

Well done lads, OTBC

Defenders are there to defend, and that is exactly what Mackay and Fleming do. It''s not always pretty but it is effective - we have the best defensive record in the division, and as a unit I think our back 5 are pretty solid.

I think Shackell is a fantastic talent and was outstanding against Cardiff, however I would also say that M & F are doing the business and their experience will prove priceless on the run in. I have been one of their biggest critics in the past, but credit where credit is due.

I think Worthy has got it right and M & F should be first choice, however they know they need to keep performing as Shackell is waiting in the wings and pushing them hard for a place.

Come on you yellows!

I believe the situation with Malky and Shackell - and Fleming, is similar to Huckerby/Svenssen and Mackenzie and Holt/Mulryne and Francis. There are three able contenders for two positions.

With all men fit and available then its fairly obvious that NW will give Fleming the first defensive role, Holt the first midfield place and Huckerby the first forward position. I think we all know that.

For midfield and attack I think its on record that the second position will go to the man in form but will also take account of who the opposition is - horses for courses. And I think we''ve already seen that as Nigel shuffles his pack. and Nigel famously said that players sometimes need a rest.

Returning to Malky or Shackell, its tricky but the same philosophy should be applied. and we must invest in Shackell''s future by giving him selected opportunities. Yes Shackell had a fantastic game at Cardiff - but I for one thought Malky was the right selection for Ipswich - Malky v Kuqi(an old fashioned bustling centre forward) was absolutely correct - and so it proved. Malky at Goodison - same reason with Fergussen in mind.

However, against lowly Nottm Forest at home, Shackell may well have been appropriate - and against Derby away.

With a 5 point gap and with Bradford at home this week - nows a great time to give him the experience of another game. Give Malky a well earned rest, and keep him on the bench just in case

I hear what you are saying and you all make good points but you don''t mess around with the best defence in the league.

If we start going down hill defensively (heaven forbid!) then look to change it, but right now, if it ain''t broken don''t fix it.

Have to agree with you on that one Canary mark!!!.......any one know if Worthy is after Unsworth??
Good luck on saturday boys

OTBC

After the Cardiff game I thought that Shackell should have kept his place, but I think Neil Adams (what an excellent radio expert he is)called it right by saying that Malky should play in the Ipswich game because of his experience. Over the past 10 or so games, apart from the Everton game (two dubious pens), we have conceeded very few goals, so to drop Malky would be rather harsh. In addition, he and Flem are two good pros who are a good role models and I am sure their influence stretches beyond just the 90 mins during the match. Shackell will get his chance soon, and once he gets in properly, no -one will will shift him. By the way, who was the last home - grown centre half to play for City - Dave Stringer?

I totally agree that Shackell is a talent but as many people have pointed out, we have the best defence in the League, there is no way NW could justify dropping Mackay or Flem without a run of bad performances.

As for the last home-grown centre half, does Chris Sutton count? He broke into the side as centre half.