Sign in to follow this  
Smiff

McVeigh....

This is my first post on here so everyone be nice....

I''m just surprised that no-one''s mentioned McVeigh yet... I must have seen him lose the ball/fall over/not tackle and generally screw things up 15-20 times on saturday!! I''ve great respect for the guy but you must admit he had a duff game...

I think Henderson''s the natural choice for the right midfield... the boy gets better and better every time he plays and deserves a regular first team spot - did you see his cross to Svennson against Notts F last week?? The boy''s got talent!

Ok I''m done!

ps Ihave to say Everton sell tasty pies. No wonder Rooney''s lookin like that...

I don''t think he had a duff game, a bit like the others showed too much respect and held them in awe a bit, true he didn''t edworthy much help.. But he was as good as anybody in a yella shirt in the second half...

Players are going to have their off days. Gernerally McVeigh is a star and causes opposition defences all sorts of problems. Also, if he does have an off spell, we''ve go all sorts of options for the wings. McVeigh, Huckerby, Hendo, Brennan, Jarvis, Rivers, (if him and NW ever make-up!). That''s what i love about our team now. Worthy has assembled a group of players who can play in various positions. So the combinations are endless!

OTBC!

No one can argue that mcveigh is a top class player and he needs to be played where he can cause damage. Hendo ain''t a right midfielder, he don''t take on the defender and get crosses in he just fit in that position. Lets face it that cross against forest was a bit of a fluke as hendo is a poor crosser of the ball and puts in a good cross 1/10.
Mcveigh is the sort of player that can create things and he isn''t left footed so its better for him to play on the right and he can put in a superb cross. So worthy should keep him out there as he is a vital player in our promotion push.

Bye Bye to the Nationwide!!!

Maybe he is class - but....

If he is to be played as a midfield player then he has to learn to defend. He can''t. This was the biggest (not the only one) problem with Easton, just look how Brennan covers for Drury, Easton could never do that. The McViegh/Edworthy pairing has this problem now.

Henderson - fantastic to see him run at defences, but his final ball is terrible. Yes he got a vital cross into Svensson, but other than that.....?

I agree with you A1. Its a bit disconcerting we are now getting criticism of players when they have a bit of an off day. McVeigh struggled in the first half but then most of our players did. It was natural that they would take a bit of time to adjust to the pace. This they did and put in a superb second half performance.
We have a strong squad and it is impossible for all players to put in a top class performance week in week out.
Crikes there has even been mention of Hucks having a couple of ''off'' games in his loan spell. The poor bloke was carrying a painful ankle injury for a couple of games and still it took three players to mark him!!
This is a brilliant board and all are entitled to opinions but I am sure there are quite a few contributors who do not see many games. I think many must be relying on the commentary skills (sic) of our beloved Roy Waller. If this is the case please ignore him - just listen to Adams for a more balanced and accurate view.
Now; I know I am getting greedy and power crazy but I would still love to see Crouch return on loan as I''m a bit worried about this Svenson injury and we still need back up in this position. Leon looks a good prospect but needs to do his roaming in the box for great effect.
Yeh OK I am greedy!
Have a liitle scrimmage.

I''ve noticed Mcveigh has not been 100% when playing in the last few games. he''s still one of our best players. I think he needs a few more goals to boost confidence, but don''t where to play him to get them in the current side. His best season was when he played on the left 14 goals if i remember rightly. lets hope Brennan can do the same now he is off the mark. have faith and promotion will be ours.

He got most of those goals from centre forward. The first game he dropped back last season was the leicester game, when he was played as the "top" of the diamond formation. From then on we stopped scoring and started looking shaky up front. Although I think we were still playing Roberts/Abbey and Nielsen so that may be a reason too.

I rate him up front. He has skill and creativity. I think he''s very good on the wing too, but I wish we would play him up front again - although this will probably never happen with our new strikeforce in town. He was a livewire though.

Personally the only thing concerning me about Mcveigh at the present time is the fact his contract runs out soon.
I think he has improved no end under NW in the past few seasons and we need to be thinking about contract talks.
A bad game occasionaly doesn''t make you a bad player, just makes you human.

I''d like to see him play at the tip of the midfield, behind the front two. Possibly in place of Mulryne? I don''t know - Mcveigh gets knocked off the ball too easily in midfield but Mulryne really isn''t pulling his weight and has forgotten (yet again) how to push forward. Too often in the last few weeks I''ve noticed a huge gap between midfield and our attack and I think this will be our downfall if Hucks is marked out of a game. That''s when you need your midfielders pouring forward to put pressure on the defence. Holt won''t do that while he''s babysitting Mulryne, Francis could if he played with Mullers but never gets the chance (he''s much better on the ball than Holt, and he scores), so maybe it''s time for Mcveigh to ''drift'' inside.
Still, we can''t be doing that much wrong, we are 5 points clear...