Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Awful new message boards!.

Using my best and largest magnifying glass, I must say, compared to the old board, this new one is pants, the writing on the main page is so small, I can hardly see it.

Can the thread page be enlarged?.

All I can say is if it aint broke don''t fix it.[:@]

Text should be about the same size as the last message board - check your Text Size settings.

Internet Explorer: View menu > Text Size > set this to Medium.

Firefox: View menu > Text Size > set to Normal

There may be tweaks. I''ll be posting a message soon with a few things for you to look out for. You can also email webdesk@pinkun.com with your problems.

The previous message board was creaking under the number of messages, so had to be replaced.

I also think it''s much better.

I have not been able to post for the last 5 months, although I have been reading the messages, due to an apparent clash between the works IT and Archants, but this seems to have resolved it.

Now I can re-start my disagreement with everything Wiz and his little protege AJ say.

Bring it on!!!

The new message board is a vast improvement. Although wearing varifocals, I have no problem with the text.

For the first hour, the right side of the topic boxes did not fit although there was a 2" wide strip of white down each side of my screen - but I put that down to initial skin format problems - and all seems OK now.

One thing - I notice that some users have PM switched on and some off - I can''t find the setting - or am I jumping the gun?!!

I used to be able to run my mouse over a topic and read the first three lines or so, has this feature gone now? It saved time I could get irritated by posts so much quicker!

Looks like it has gone. I thought there was an option, but it turns out to be something else. I''ll keep looking.

An alternative would be to use the RSS feed (link on the bottom of the page of threads*) for each forum to tell you about new posts, but.that''s not quite as convenient as having it right in front of you on every subject link.

* We''ve had to turn off the RSS feeds for a bit - back either Fri or early next week.

i actually like the new forums, very snazzy!

however, i dont like this reply box!

As my Internet Explorer is spot on for every other site on the web, I can''t see the point in adjusting it for one odd site.

And where''s the spell check?, being somewhat thick, I''m now in a bloody mess!.

hmm, ive just changed my view size from medium to small (down on setting) and it is incredibly hard to read!

also whiz well pointed out, the spell check is not there, i used to rely on that so much!

In general I give it hte "thumbs up", but two complaints:

1. As mentioned earlier the preview option has disappeared.

2. After I''ve read a thread and scrolled right down the bottom I usually hit "back" on the browser and it''d return me to the main page at the same position I left it. However, now when I do it it returns me to wherever I was positioned on the previous page, i.e. at the bottom! In other words it''s very annoying!!

Cheeky, Im on a Mac too, using Safari. The font is one size too big so I step it down. The reply feature puts me at the bottom of a page as does the forward / back page. What problems are you getting?

Some people''s avatars seem to be a bit squashed now. And on the personal settings, it only gives the option of U.S. English. U.S. English?!! I want the Queens own English thank you very much, not some mis-spelt Yankee-doodle version. Bah!

the board speed seems to vary thou, the old board was slow, but this one is just wierd, sometimes it is super quick, sometimes it takes a couple of minutes to load up a page.

also, so far no error messages! something that will not be missed from the old board!

Why when ever you go from page to the next, you find yourself right at the very bottom?

Also, does the new board mean posts will appear quicker or will it still take many many decades before a post appears?

Which browser and OS are you getting this ''page going to the bottom'' problem?

Posts won''t appear any faster because the boards are still moderated, but we have been looking at the law and court rulings with a view to freeing up things in the future.

The Beeb, who are usually pretty cautious on legal matters, allow posts to appear instantly on their 606 message boards. There are a number of abuses daily of this freedom , however. What they do is remove any offensive material retrospectively, so swear words and language referring to unusual sex acts do appear from time to time. Unfortunately you can''t always rely on people to behave in a respectable adult way.

After very careful consideration,  I''ll go even further.

IMHO, this is without dout the worst Pink Un message board.......ever.

Talk about slow loading as well.[:@]

Shame, as the people are nice................mostly.

The ''back'' problem is related to this being in a frame (which we did so you could have a clickable logo at the top to take you to the main site).

The reply/quote buttons being off the screen problem is also because of this - it happens when people post long links or extra wide pictures (common to the last forums as well, but they weren''t confined within a frame, so it happened less).

If you go straight to the page within the frame - http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums - you will probably be happier.

We will be looking at the text size in a variety of browsers and tweak if necessary, probably sometime next week.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]Talk about slow loading as well[/quote]

Our techies have been trying out settings on a new magic box to balance/speed up traffic which has been causing problems today.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

After very careful consideration,  I''ll go even further.

IMHO, this is without dout the worst Pink Un message board.......ever.

Talk about slow loading as well.[:@]

Shame, as the people are nice................mostly.

[/quote]

So we will keep it then. I don''t think Wiz has ever been really happy in his life (except when complaining) so I think him liking it is irrelevent. I''m sure we would still all be using windows 3.1 if we could only change when he was happy. Nice work vince. I approve.