Sign in to follow this  
Snake Pit Rebel

Why Are The Board Showing Worthy So Much Loyalty?

[quote]When we never showed anywhere near as much loyalty and patience when we dumped Mike Walker? One of our own!! WORTHY OUT!!![/quote]

Here here snake pit rebel, I totally agree with you mate.

They are showing loyalty because:It would cost money to remove him.It would reflect on their judgement and previous loyalty.They prefer to promote from within, and apart from Dave Williams there appears to be no-one within who is not identified with failure. (Although they did appoint Worthy despite his failure with Hamilton).They fear the unknown, and risk of an "untried" manager, or face even more expense in compensation for acquiring a manager at present with another club.They have a cosy set-up, with a manager who seems a very pleasant, reasonable man, and they may find any effective replacement is much more awkward.(Perhaps their judgement on football matters, as opposed to finance, is limited. They cannot see what has been obvious for most of us now for more than a year, reinforced by two lots of poor summer signings!)Wouod this list do for a start?

Because Mike Walker encouraged his sides to compete a bit too vigorously and the yobbish tendancy disciplinary record was not appropriate for the ''county set'' strand on the board. This necessitated in some overdue correction from Sgt Major Rioch. Now Worthington, with his Irish charm and unfailing urbanity, knows how to ingratiate himself with the county set. You will note the above has little to do with football matters.

[quote]They are showing loyalty because:It would cost money to remove him.It would reflect on their judgement and previous loyalty.They prefer to promote from within, and apart from Dave Williams there appea...[/quote]

That''s a pretty fair summary and I was thinking pretty much the same.  I would love to believe that they are showing loyalty because they really think Worthy can turn it around but part of me can''t help thinking that it''s all about the money.

That''s a fair post Solopian,but the fact of the matter is we all know that it would cost an awful lot of money in order to buy Worthington out of his contract but could we really survive a second sucessive relegastion?

So let''s weigh it all up-Keep Worthington=Possible extinction for the club that we all so dearly love.

P.S. Why was''nt Worthington given his lucarative contract on the basis of surviving our Premiership campaign?

The club has a pot of money....they have a choice on how to spend it.

They can either spend it on sacking Worthington and leave the new manager with a very limited transfer budget, meaning that Green/Ashton would have to be sold if improvements are to be brought in.

OR

They can keep faith with Worthington, as West Ham did with Pardew, give him the money to spend on improving the club and see what happens.

Option 1 is a definite backward step. We would have to sell our best to improve overall and I don''t see how getting rid of our best players is going to keep us on the right track.

Option 2....well theres a chance it might work. It did for West Ham. ok it took 2 years and not 1 and they ultimately ended up stripping the cupboards bare and rebuilding the squad but they did it.

It was different with West Ham. One game they would be fantastic, next game they were awful.

But we are just consistenly awful.

Does anyone actually know how much it would cost to pay off Worthy?

Is it really that much?

I''m just guessing, because I haven''t got time to find out more accurately, but I imagine he''s on about 200-250k a year, plus bonuses (none of them this season!) for what, 3-4 years. That''s a million quid.

Obviously I could be well wide of the mark there, but even so, if we''ve got 2 million quid for Clinto Morrison, then we CAN afford to get rid of Worthy.

I''m sure the board are looking at the situation with one eye on the money aspect, but when it comes down to it they''ll find the cash they need if they really want to.

Another few defeats and they will really want to, as the supporters are going to be applying more and more pressure.

I can''t see that it would cost a million simply ask him to resign with a payout nowhere near a million (a fair proportion of which would go to the taxman) or simply keep paying him but tell him to keep away from the club this would mean that he couldn''t take up another job until his contract was up. This way would also spread the cost over the term of his contract.