Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Team against Cardiff

How will the Marney injury reshape the side?  Will we make the shock decision to try three midfielders in midfield and go

Hughes  Safri  Jarrett

Hux

Thorne    Ashton

or will we stick with 4-4-2 and go

Flem   Doc    Dav   Drury

Thorne  Safri  Hughes  Hux

Ashton    Colin

OTBC

Just heard Worthy interviewed on Radio Boredland, and he has said that Thorne will not be starting. So midfield will be

Hendo         Saffers         Hooze          Brennan

Ashton         Hucks

Which as we all know doesn''t work.

Hopefully whatever we do we will actually use one of our rightbacks in that position and play a midfield of midfielders. My vote is

Green

Colin/Louis-Jean Davenport Doherty Drury

Jarrett Saffri Hughes

Henderson/Jarvis Huckerby

Ashton

Yes....I know its the old venables Xmas tree formation. You never know, it might work. Still if it doesn''t we can revert to some of the formations made famous by Mike Bassett.

[quote]How will the Marney injury reshape the side? Will we make the shock decision to try three midfielders in midfield and go Hughes Safri Jarrett Hux Thorne Ashton or will we stick ...[/quote]

As I posted on another thread Zipper, I really think we should go with 3 in midfield.  I have been advocating this since the summer, even with everybody fit I don''t think we have the players for 4-4-2.

I really think that the 3 man midfield would release Hux from having to be disciplined.  No tracking back or staying close to Ashton, it''s just not his game.

I expect to see Thorne on the right though!

[quote]Just heard Worthy interviewed on Radio Boredland, and he has said that Thorne will not be starting. So midfield will be Hendo Saffers Hooze Brennan As...[/quote]

I agree that midfield will simply not work nor will the forward line.  We need a bit of innovation yet all we will get is the tired old reworking of previous failed sides - Hendo, Brennan and Hooooze - oh dear.   Hendo Brennan and Hux all out of optimum position.

What were we doing when we suddenly won a game?  WLY was involved linking the midfield to Ashton - hey; why dont we try that again?  Alternative why not give a proven Champ goalscorer a go as a striker?   I agree he is too similar to Ashton to probably work well but if Deano  is to go wide and cross the ball like a winger Thorne may as well be in the middle than Hux... 

Oh dear - thats kicked in the depression again; nurse!

Belated Happy birthday by the way Meeky!

[quote]As I posted on another thread Zipper, I really think we should go with 3 in midfield. I have been advocating this since the summer, even with everybody fit I don''t think we have the players for 4-4-2...[/quote]

I have to agree Saint - but we all know that likely midfield players will not include Jarrett which means a third of the midfield out of position.

I guess in theory and to allow for a sub we may as well go 5-2-3, encourage the full backs on and it should suit the players we have better

Flem    Doc   Dav

Colin/MLJ                             Drury

Safri  Hughes

Hux

Ashton       WLY/Thorne 

Im not quiet sure whos injured at the moment and whos not, but i did hear about marneys departure, shame that, i felt that he had much more to offer.anyway...

Starting 11:

Green

Colin Doherty Davenport Drury

Hughes Safri Jarrett

Huckerby

Ashton Henderson         

Subs: Ward, Fleming, McVeigh, Rossi Jarvis and Thorne.

(do point out to me if any of these players are actually injured at the moment)

Starting with hendo and Ashton upfront, and hucks with a free role, very attacking, should give us alot of joy!

OTBC!!!!

whatever happened to WLY?

i think it should be:

---------greeno----------
-colin-doherty-davenport-drury
--------safri-hooze-------
-WLY---------------Hux---
-----Henderson-Ashton----

pity MLJ isnt fit, he would fit in nicely on that right flank

I hope to see us reverting to the innovative and successful diamond formation again, the true jewel in the crown of Worthy''s tactical armoury. 

Alternatively we could play the old 2 fullbacks out of position, namely Charlton and Brennan, or 3 if we move Colin up front again. This would then allow us to play Fleming out of position too on the right and possibly Hendo or Thorne or even Hucks out of position on the right wing, or drop Brennan and play Ashton on the left wing to best use his deadly crossing skills for Doherty up front and then Charlton could go to centre half........oh I''m confused perhaps we''ll just wait and see what Worthy comes up with   

[quote]whatever happened to WLY? i think it should be: ---------greeno---------- -colin-doherty-davenport-drury --------safri-hooze------- -WLY---------------Hux--- -----Henderson-Ashton---- pity ...[/quote]

"whatever happened to WLY?"

He has reverted to his primary club role AJ - scapegoat number one.  He puts ina  string of good to excellent performances as a striker with deano so after scoring against Brighton we stick him in midfield (and match hux and Ashton), watch as the ball flies over his head and he gets subbed in three consecutive games of Millwall, Luton and QPR never to be seen again.

Talk about shooting yourselves in the foot - we take a positive force during our small winning run and sideline/by pass him by changing his position and then let him take the blame.  Classic.

OTBC  

nw should know by now that ashton/hucks doesn''t work as a partnership so give hendo another go and if it don''t work out bring thorne on. as for midfield i think hughes still gets the nod over jarrett.

also hucks has to be left-side not right so that leaves the right-side in which mcveigh is the only real contender in my opinion.

also we don''t need 3 left-backs in the 16.

green

fleming doherty davenport drury

mcveigh hughes safri huckerby

henderson ashton

subs ward brennan thorne jarrett jarvis (either)

i like AJs team selection. The only thing i might change is to try Thorn with Deano. I would also tell Deano to play within the "width of the posts" and to concentrate only on scoring goals. i think the other selections were well thought out but would like to raise one point. playing Hucks in the middle or up front simply does not work as he just naturally goes to the left.this on saturday caused problems as Hucks and Brennan were standing on each others toes and Drury could not overlap because of this.Deano was going to the right flank which left the middle empty when a cross did come in. I dont want Deano to cover every blade of grass. I simply want him to score goals. Ajs formation with either Hendo or Thorne up with Deano would work. Simple stuff no christmas tree. Get the ball on the floor,work the flanks. get the crosses in, one striker near post, one centre, the oppersite flank player to the crosser making the far post and a central midfielder the edge of the box. This is simple uncomplicated stuff. opinions please.

The latest rumour from FCR is that Greeno is playing centre forward because he got closest to the last corner on Saturday. Hux is playing in goal just so Worthy can pinpoint exactly where the ball is supposed to go. The rest of the positions will be announced tomorrow when Worthy gets his new hat because he has decided to put the names of all players in one hat and the positions in another hat. Needless to say Flems card has got something sticky on it.

I''m not certain that things are not getting to me. 

IMO we''ve got to go with a 4-4-2 along the lines of FTFW''s suggestion.

We haven''t got anyone creative enough in the central midfield to unlock defences through the middle so we have to look for some width. A 3-man midfield might work away, but not at home.

As we''ve got no other right midfielders, the only solution must be WLY or MLJ, with Brennan or Hucks on the left.

God forbid if anyone gets injured in training today though. In fact maybe we should just give up training. It doesn''t seem to be doing much good.

Ridgman - you made me laugh with your suggestions. Not sure if you were at Alex Notman''s testimonial but Green did play up front and Huckerby in goal for some of the time.

Seriously though, I suspect the starting point will be the team that started against Wednesday. Not sure Fleming did enough wrong to be dropped so I would expect an unchanged back four.

In midfield, clearly Marney is not available so the big question is who will start on right midfield. My order of preference would be WLY; Louis-Jean (if fit?); Colin; Thorne (apparently he is not starting); Henderson; Huckerby. I think Brennan will be dropped and possibly Hughes too. But this would mean either Jarrett or Rossi Jarvis staring with Safri with Huckerby out left.

Hopefully Ashton and Henderson will be up front.

We will see I guess!