Do you think your ''constructive criticism'' is doing the team and the manager any good. I know I will get criticised for this. You watch, we go and win on wednesday at Birmingham and all of this will just about be forgotten. Listen to yourselves for gods sake!!!!

BACK WORTHY!!!!!!!!!!

I love my club unconditionally and will sing and cheer on the 11 city shirts on the pitch at any one time - that will never change.

But somethings just go wrong - no one fault.  Currently listening to the kaiser chiefs and one song title sums up my views on worthy - ''Every game I love you less and less''  

I have not been this depressed about city for 5 years.

OTBC

under what cirucmstances does he ever deserves to be backed,
the players will get all the support they need, but worthy''s
record deserves him getting all the flack he can, until
he does the honest thing and admit he''s lost it and walk.

Why should we?  I am seeing the worst football we have played in 4 or 5 years.  Getting stuffed by teams we should beat.  I sang "We love you Norwich" to my hearts content at the weekend.  I always will.  But that''s no reason to bury our head in the sand at our clubs current plight

No one can possibly say any of us on here, despite our feelings one way or the other don''t care for our team.  We just think differently.  This is a message board and an outlet for all supporters to chat and exchange viewpoints.

We are not damaging the team Premier, and I hope, along with everyone else that we win at Birmingham, it would be great, but will not paper over the giant cracks that are now there. 

I can''t think of one person I know personally who supports Norwich City who is enjoying this, we are all hurting.

My argument Premier, is that City have not improved in terms of the football we play for two seasons at least. The year we won promotion was based largely on Hucks perfroming wonders, ably supported by Leon & Sven but you could not honestly say our midfield was anywhere near top quality. The only time last season we looked like a good footballing team with attitude, was the last seven (six?) games when Worthy was virtually forced into picking Helveg, Shackell & Safri, all of whom plaed a significant part in this mini-revival.

If you compare Worthy''s reign with Alan Curbishley ( as many posters do - citing Charlton as being our role model), you will find that he achieved TWO promotions in four years and one relegation. However, the team that was relegated was a very young inexperienced team and all the supporters could see that Curbs was building for the future. The football was always as it should be as well - no booting it forward.

If I could see that there was a clear strategy, with youth team players being managed correctly, and an attacking passing game being encouraged, I would back Worthy to the hilt. But I can''t so I won''t.

We recognise that there are many injuries, and that this may go some way to explaining the dire performances of late, but we feel that he has taken us as far as he can, and that after five years he and we need a new start.

For some of us, at least, our doubts about Worthy go back a year or two. While he has made some good purchases in the transfer market, notably Hux and Ashton, he has also bought some dross in each of the last two summers, with panic buys when he realised he had missed some bargains earlier. He seems blinkered about certain players, playing some when it is obvious they have been in poor form for some time, playing players out of position, and apparently unable to see the virtues of some players, notably the younger ones.

I find it staggering that with two assistant managers to consult and use, we still have misjudgement and muddle, and a lack of ability to see what 20,000 plus spectators have seen clearly for months. One example was his refusal to accept that we are woefully weak in number and quality in the midfeld and that even only one or two injuries in important areas would reduce our effectiveness almost totally.

I think that he is an honest and strightforward man, but for a long time now he has struck me as someone who cannot manage our particular situtation.

this wont all be forgotten if we beat he brum, as the poster above says it will paper over the cracks.

We thought that beating the Scum would be a huge turning point for us and that we''d pick up a gear and press on, but it was merely just 1 of our few wins this season and a few weeks later we are no better off than when we were before we played the binnies... a win at Birmingham is all well and good.. but its a cup round.. if Birmingham put a load of 16 and 17 year olds out and we beat them then its hardly the same is it?

I want us to win of course but if we lose then we concentrate on the league, which at this stage is our most important thing! id sooner forget about the cup if it meant chaneeling our efforts into staying up...

as mentioned intodays EDP if we carry on picking up points at the rate we have done we will finish with 49.. which for the past 2 seasons has sent clubs down... im booking my tickets to Heartlepool as we speak, because under Worthy thats where we are going!

jas

We recognise that there are many injuries, and that this may go some way to explaining the dire performances of late, but we feel that he has taken us as far as he can, and that after five years he and we need a new start.

For some of us, at least, our doubts about Worthy go back a year or two. While he has made some good purchases in the transfer market, notably Hux and Ashton, he has also bought some dross in each of the last two summers, with panic buys when he realised he had missed some bargains earlier. He seems blinkered about certain players, playing some when it is obvious they have been in poor form for some time, playing players out of position, and apparently unable to see the virtues of some players, notably the younger ones.

I find it staggering that with two assistant managers to consult and use, we still have misjudgement and muddle, and a lack of ability to see what 20,000 plus spectators have seen clearly for months. One example was his refusal to accept that we are woefully weak in number and quality in the midfeld and that even only one or two injuries in important areas would reduce our effectiveness almost totally.

I think that he is an honest and strightforward man, but for a long time now he has struck me as someone who cannot manage our particular situtation.

ncfcpremier, not sure how we''re going to get on at Brum but I have to agree with your main point.

I''m as disappointed as anyone about our form at the moment but the current Worthy witchhunt is depressing me even more.

OK, the guy needs to take responsibility for results and ultimately will be made to do so (even if not as soon as some people would like) but subjecting him and the team to verbal abuse at games is not only wrong but counter-productive.

And whether or not the boo-boys intend their ire to be directed solely at Worthy is irrelevant; witness Ryan Jarvis come over to clap the fans at QPR and be stopped in his tracks by hundreds of ''fans'' booing and chanting "what a load of rubbish". He looked devastated.

Maybe a new manager would shake things up and fix our problems or maybe it wouldn''t; there are plenty of precedents to prove either point. But one thing''s for sure: no-one has a greater incentive than Worthy to turn things around (his career depends on it) so given this is the first real crisis of his tenure, I think he at least deserves the chance to do that.

[quote]My argument Premier, is that City have not improved in terms of the football we play for two seasons at least. The year we won promotion was based largely on Hucks perfroming wonders, ably supported b...[/quote]

Breaker

"If I could see that there was a clear strategy, with youth team players being managed correctly, and an attacking passing game being encouraged, I would back Worthy to the hilt. But I can''t so I won''t." (to quote you)

Our youth team do play an attacking passing game, that is obviously their strategy, and very good watching it is too!  Their coach

Dave Williams.

Sadly that philosophy doesn''t travel well and isn''t in Worthy''s footballing plans. 

I completely agree with you re Alan Curbishley and Charlton.  I even hasten to add that is what Joe Royle is trying to do at Ipswich under tougher conditions than we face.  Given our resources and Nigel''s relationship with the board I cannot see why this hasn''t been the case with us.  Sadly nothing I have seen under the Worthington regime points to attacking PASSING football. 

I totally agree with u. Its not Nigels fault that the players are playing rubbish at the moment. Worthy got us promoted or has everyone forgotten about that. Why are we saying "get a new manager" when we have about 10,000+ managers at the ground on a matchday. I would love 2 see anyone else do a better job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It''s very sad reading all this rubbish about Worthington and I think that most of you are missing the point, This is our club, this is my club, it most certainly is not Worthingtons club, he is here because he gets paid to be here, and he is paid to do a certain job which he has failed to do now for 1,1/2 seasons. That job is to produce a winning team with in the constraints put the board, who''s job it is to look after the financial well being of the club.

I will always be a city supporter, where as Worthington will not always be the city manager (thank god) . As a paid employer he has failed to acheive what is required and MUST GO NOW.

Before all you KTF''ers start there a a whole host of managers out there who could and would do a better job than him.

SACK HIM!!!!!!   

What on earth do you mean, its "not Nigel''s fault" the players are playing badly?

Then presumably it wasn''t down to him when they were playing well?

You can''t praise him and say what a good manager he is because we''ve achieved this that and the other under his tenure, then, when we DON''T play well, its suddenly not his fault!

In football results are the be all and end all, the buck, in that case, stops with the manager.

He deservedly got praise when the team got promoted, but his reputation went almost as quickly when it was realised that the club was expecting nothing more than relegation last season and had not only budgeted for it, but fully anticipated it to happen as well, we were "brave little Norwich" who were going to be loved by all but, at the end of it, were going to go back to where they came from, and, after all that, the manager would remain blameless.

He went into last season with absolutely no pressure to do anything except, it seems, fulfill our fixtures and have a "jolly good time" whilst we went about it.

So its just not this season that is illustrating how disconcerted and unhappy people are with him, but all of last season as well and what went with it regarding player selection, tactics, transfers etc. But, seemingly, none of that, and nothing thats happened this season either is his fault! I bet all managers every where wish they could manage a company/business as badly and not get the blame!

You people who are burying your heads in the sand and backing Worthy, are the same people who thought that victories over the mighty Plymouth, Hull and Brighton meant that everything was back to normal and that we were on our way to automatic promotion.

You have to look at the overall picture, not just a few games, and the problems have been apparent since August 2004, ever since Worthy failed to show any sort of confidence in his promotion winning players and slowly began dismantling what had been a spirited side full of gutsy players so that what we are left with today is a collection of spineless individuals and a manager who can only say "all the opposition''s shots are going in at the moment - we just have to get through it".

Garbage! forget about numbers of shots on target, what about the fact that we are being totally over-run by the opposition? The only reason QPR & Luton did not have more shots on target was because they didn''t need to, they were already 3-0 and 4-0 up respectively! (And anyway, they had more shots than Worthy says so he is lying as well).

I can''t believe anyone could back him after the past two matches.

We can''t defend

We can''t attack

What do you expect us to do? All gather around in a group hug pretending life in League One will be alright?

Let''s wake up folks! When we are playing so consistently poorly, only one person can be blamed. Nigel Worthington.

beating brum will prove nothing.

winning more than 2 matches in a row might help but how many false dawns do we have to endure before we have consensus on the inevitable. I really appreciate what Worthy has done for this club but in the same way that Worthy realised Mulryne, Easton, Holt, Mackay and Roberts etc had past their sell by date we need the board to apply the same criteria to the boss himself. NCFC is not a charity case.

Time to go Nigel.

[quote]Do you think your ''constructive criticism'' is doing the team and the manager any good. I know I will get criticised for this. You watch, we go and win on wednesday at Birmingham and all of this will j...[/quote]

no it wont who really gives a monkeys about the cup game at Brum, a win would just paper over the cracks, its the league that counts

SACK HIM

Back him??,you mean feel sorry for him dont you? at most other clubs he would have been gone by now.things are going backwards for him.the writing is on the wall

I for one, fully back Nigel Worthington. Delia and Michaels statement articulates much of what I have wanted to say for several weeks now. When I attend next weeks AGM I do however hope to hear renewed commitment from all at the top table, including team investment between now and the end of January.

its clear that there are a lot of posters on here and other boards that show this man little or no respect as a manager and formally a player, now constructive criticism is welcomed when things are not going to well but the out and out insults by either the puerile name calling or calling into question this mans credibility is in my opinion uncalled for.
i will gladly listen to anyone slatting NW off that has a better career resume than this!

Playing career
As a tough-tackling no-nonsense defender Worthington earned himself 66 international caps for Northern Ireland, captaining the side under manager Bryan Hamilton. His club playing career brought him to:

Notts County F.C., (1981-1984);
Sheffield Wednesday F.C., (1984-1994);
Leeds United F.C., (1994-1996);
Stoke City F.C., (1996-1997);
Blackpool F.C., (1997-1998).

[edit]
Managerial career
Nigel Worthington''s managerial career started unspectacularly as player/manager at Blackpool at the beginning of the 1997/98 season. He soon retired from playing to take on sole managerial duties, but two and a half seasons in charge ended with his resignation following a worrying dip in form that saw the club lying in the thick of the Second Division relegation battle. He had little sympathy from the fans on his departure who accused him of adopting a long-ball game.

After briefly assisting Howard Wilkinson in the England Under-21 set-up, Worthington was brought to Carrow Road at the start of the 1999/00 season as assistant manager by then Norwich boss Bryan Hamilton. Following the resignation of Hamilton after a poor start to the following season and a run of 5 consecutive defeats, Worthington was named as caretaker manager on 4 December 2000 and then given the role full-time following an assured run of results, eventually finishing the season in the safety of 15th place.

The 2001/02 season saw Worthington unexpectedly take the Canaries to the brink of promotion to the Premiership, missing out on penalties in a closely-fought First Division play-off Final against Birmingham City in Cardiff. An amazing come-back in the last 6 games of the season had seen Norwich pip Burnley for the final First Division play-off place on the last day by virtue of goal-difference. An 8th place finish the following season, just one place behind arch-rivals Ipswich represented something of a comedown.

In 2003/04 Worthington saw the greatest managerial achievement of his career so far, winning Norwich promotion to the Premiership as First Division champions with a club-record total of 96 points (a whole 8 points clear of nearest rivals West Brom). An unremarkable and injury-plagued start to the season had led to the signing of a number of Premiership players on loan including Darren Huckerby from Manchester City and Peter Crouch from Aston Villa, leading in turn to an impressive run of results up to mid-December. However, it seemed certain that these players would depart at the end of their 3-month loan spells, but Worthington showed his remarkable persuasive powers by convincing the board to break the bank to sign Huckerby on a permanent basis. It was a very merry Christmas for fans as Norwich went top of the league with a 2-0 victory at local-rivals Ipswich and never looked back.

The 2004/05 season, his first in the Premiership, saw a steep learning-curve for Worthington as a manager. Despite pulling off a near-miraculous run of results in the final weeks of the season (including a 2-0 win over Manchester United), Norwich were relegated by a single point margin on the last day thanks to a 6-0 thrashing at the hands of Fulham combined with a 2-0 West Brom win over Portsmouth. This consigned Norwich to 19th place in the Premiership with 77 goals conceded - only Swindon Town (100 goals against in 1993-94), Ipswich Town (93 goals against in 1994-95), Barnsley (82 goals against in 1997/98), Leicester

IF WE DON''T GET ANYTHING FROM THE NEXT TWO GAMES, BIRMINGHAM ON WEDNESDAY AND SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY ON SATURDAY I THINK IT''S TIME FOR HIM TO GO.
NOTHING AGAINST NIGEL BUT WE NEED WINS BADLY AND IF THIS RUBBISH WE HAVE TO WATCH WEEK IN WEEK OUT THEN ALL I CAN SEE US DOING IS PLAYING DIV.1 FOOTBALL NEXT SEASON AND ME AND THOUSAND MORE CITY FANS DON''T WANT IT....

ON THE BALL CITY.......

Delia and Michael have come out and backed the manager which is to their credit, but sadly they have also papered over the cracks by referring to the number of key injured players.  They do not make any mention of Worthy''s consistency in employing the wrong tactics, playing players out of position, and failing to motivate the players.

Perhaps if we saw a change in the tactics, players on the pitch in their best positions, youngsters brought in to play in the positions vacated by injuries, then we would have reason to support Worthy. 

The biggest problem as I see it is that Worthy sees nothing wrong in the way he asks the team to play, he is happy to play people out of position, he is stubborn and will not change things even when they are not working, he struggles to motivate the players, he is reluctant to use youngsters unless he has no other option, his style of play stifles the natural talent in players.

The reason why these so called lower teams have done so well is because they know the way Worthy plays, they know our strengths and counter them, more importantly they know our weaknesses and exploit them.  At the end of the day these teams are better prepared when they take to the pitch.

Worthy had a fantastic first three and a half years as the canary boss but the last season and a bit has been disappointing. West Ham & Wigan are demonstrating that we should have gone for the jugular much more in the Premiership. In Delia''s  own words we have had only one good team performance out of 15 in the League this season. Injuries are part & parcel of the game, even more so in modern times. Not all the injured players referred to would be first choices anyway therefore injuries are not a strong excuse or reason.  Perhaps it is time for a change for both the club & Worthy. Whatever, the club needs to address how it can be more effective so as to take advantage of the parachute payments.

[quote]Why should we? I am seeing the worst football we have played in 4 or 5 years. Getting stuffed by teams we should beat. I sang "We love you Norwich" to my hearts content at the weekend. I always wi...[/quote]

Worst football you have seen in 4 to 5 years now you are going over the top with that.thats being a wee bit silly dont you think.  

I thought the first real crisis of his tenure was Fulham last year

A team we needed to beat to ensure our survival in the Premier and we collapsed to a disgraceful 6-0 defeat. We only had to win one away match all season, and the Fulham match was the one, and he didn''t have the managerial expertise at the time that it mattered.

Whether it was coaching skill; tactical skill; selection skill; formational skill or just plain motivational skill, the man came up woefully short - and those shortcomings were on show all of last season, and worringly they have been caried right throuigh into this season as well.

The statement was only ever going to be supportive as it is clear Worthy is NOT going to get the sack any game soon, however much it seems to be thing to do.

It is a rock solid vote of confidence without using that dreaded term and makes worthys excuses for him.

However the fact remains that on Sunday we were only 2 players short of a full strength side - Drury and Safri - so to play the injury card so strongly is a pile of [self moderated].  That our midfield capitulated so inadequately is entirely down to the players worthy put out, the formation used and the lack of planning by going into a season with just 4 midfield players, of whom three are so clearly not up to the job.

What the statement does is remove any semblance of hope I have for the season.   (Where is a crying floods osf tears emoticon when you need one???  this one is not enough)

The Ali Campbell type spin from the club during yesterday (A series of "at fault" players publically admitting fault and guilt for the manager then a vote of confidence)  is as strong a supporting message for worthy that could have been given.  I now know that worthy will still be the manager for several games to come irrespective of results or performances.

Its like Flem and Worthy from last season all over again - continued gross under performance will not be punished... 

OTBC