Sign in to follow this  
grinner

lol morgan

could any body out there tell me if lol morgan our ex manager is still about. as i dont seem to recall his name being mentioned in dispatches during our 100 years of history.

Lol Morgan was ousted just before we played Derby County (inc. Gemmill, Mckay et al) on a stormy (got absolutely soaked) Wednesday night at Carrow Road. Tha date was 16th April 1969 and we were 3-0 down by half time and eventually lost 4-1. Lol was standing on the terraces that night such was his love for the club. Ron Saunders took over in the July and the rest is history. Have no idea if he''s still about but if he is he must be in his late 70''s.

The next (and last) two games that season we won, inc. being 3-0 up at half time against Blackburn in front of me and 7,860 others!

Statto.....now where the hell did I leave my anorak....

thanks for that splat. i must admit that i remember those days, my first vist was in the late 1968-69 to carrow rd. when i was a young 15 ish boy. oh for mallender, crickmore,davis,curran ect.no only joking, onwards and upwards i say. look forwards not backwards.

In the late 70s and early 80s I taught at a school in Rotherham. One of my pupils was Susan Morgan, the daughter of Lol. She was aged 14 at the time. I guess that must make Lol in his mid to late 60s now. I kept hoping he would turn up at a parents'' evening (such was my fascination with all things NCFC! - as is indeed still the case), but I never got to meet the man. A former colleague of mine in Rotherham went to school with Lol and used to play football in a team with him. He said he was the fastest player he had ever played with. At the time of Lol''s dismissal from Norwich, I remember it was said that he had gone back to work "in industry" in the north of England. I later found out he worked for Charringtons in South Yorkshire.

Lol was the also the first City manager I recall. Nowadays I suppose he''d be "Laughs-out-loud" Morgan (perhaps not inappropriate considering some of the performances we put out in those days, although considering he had to sell top scorer Hughie Curran, he presumably faced the same financial pressures as most of our subsequent managers).
Anyway, here''s a mention of him from last year, when he returned to Feethams to lead out the Darlington team he managed in ''66. Looks like he''s very fondly remembered in that part of the world.
The article mentions that after being sacked by us he scouted for Spurs, then went to work for the brewery as mentioned by Barclay Boy, and is now retired.

http://www.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/the_north_east/sport/football/darlington/news/200103a.html