Sign in to follow this  
Flick Fleck

Thoughts after the AGM...

I want to outline some thoughts that I have as a result of the AGM and the posts that I have read on here today that talk about what went on there last night.

All of us who post on here are frustrated at the way this season is panning out.  I am now firmly of the belief that these frustrations are clouding our view to the point where we can''t see straight any more.  So I wanted to take a step back and look at some of the misconceptions that are doing the rounds on the message board right now:

1) Worthy was attacking you when he said that you are hiding behind your message board name

Well, no he wasn''t.  And anyone who takes his full quote out of context is misrepresenting what he said.  He was actually expressing his distaste at the unfounded and cruel rumours that appear on message boards about his players (mainly not on this board, to its credit).  In this, he was absolutely right.  You should only be upset if you are indeed one of the rumour-mongerers (in which case you should go to the WOTB and keep off here).

2) The majority of Norwich fans are in the Worthy Out camp

Most people on here say so.  The recent poll overwhelmingly said so.  But still the majority of fans at Carrow Road don''t care enough to act on it.  Lat night''s AGM was the perfect forum to let the Board know that the fans want Worthy out.  It was the perfect time to stage a demonstration.  However, nothing happened at the AGM.  Why not?  Simple: the fans aren''t frustrated enough yet.  Sure, there may have been mumblings amongst the fans that were there last night, but mumblings do not a rebellion make.  Most fans of NCFC are still happy enough not to shout about it.

3) The AGM was stage-managed by the Spin-Meisters

Of course it was.  Every AGM in the history of the world has been stage-managed by the people who run them.  AGM''s are, by nature, sensitive meetings where tough questions could be asked.  So the organisers prepare themselves to make sure that a) the questions aren''t too tough; and b) they have a unified story response to handle the toughies that do come out.  It''s natural, you see it everywhere.

4) The Board is spinning us to believe that all is going to be OK

This is their job, don''t knock them for it.  Someone mentioned that it was like the Emperor''s New Clothes, where if you say something often enough then everyone will believe it in the end.  Let me point out that that is exactly what is happening on this message board right now.  The more we wind ourselves up in a Worthy Out Frenzy, the more we believe that HE MUST GO.  After every game you will find a new thread along the lines of ''Why did he make that substitution'', or ''Why did so-and-so play in that position''.  It''s as though every team selection or substitution is wrong.  It''s as though Worthy can''t do anything right.  If the Board then tell us that it''s all going to be OK, then obviously we are going to see that as false promises, and them trying to spin us round.  But it seems to me that we have already spun ourselves around enough already to make us too dizzy to see straight.

5) This message board is a haven of good debate

In my opinion, the board has degenerated from what used to be a vibrant forum for discussion to something that looks more like a playground argument amongst school kids.  "You''re a binner!", "No you are!", "You can''t even spell ''binner!''", "I hate 1st Wiz!" "Well I hate Dicky!" "Yeah, but Worthy''s rubbish".  If this is the level at which we are expressing our distaste at the way the team is performing, then it hardly convinces me of the validity of the argument.

6) Keep

Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts into words so eloquently, and I must say that I agree with you whole-heartedly. I have mostly steered clear of this board in the last couple of weeks since I don''t think I fit into either of the polarised pro/anti-Worthy groups. For one thing I don''t feel qualified to have such a strong opinion since I only get to a few live games.

One thing I do know is that the Board don''t want us to get relegated, so I trust them to decide if and when the time comes that Worthy can''t turn things around. They have done well both for the club and fans, and have taken a good long-term view in the past five years and I will happily put my trust in them for now.

Excellent post Flick - this board has become segregated to the level of some kind of religious hatred. The pro and the anti manager groups, protestants and catholics, jews and muslims. It''s a disgrace.

You''d never believe we were bound by anything let alone the unflinching support of a small football club in a tiny corner of a tiny island. That should be something to enjoy but instead it has become something to fight about.

I''m actually undecided myself on the manager debate which is a bit pathetic i know but what should be obvious to anyone on here is that the pro brigade, being a minority, is regularly rounded upon by the anti brigade. Either by mindless and irrelevant direct insult or by the patronising and demeaning way that i find even more offensive and favoured by the likes of Yankee Canary who seems to have become a self appointed school yard ring leader. This evidenced by his latest distasteful attempt to dream up ever more obtuse and perverse ways of talking down to people and enforcing his all conquering views on one and all.

The sooner this divide is repaired the better.

Oh and sorry Fleck, can''t always agree with your Jock Stein quote. Look what happened tonight, didn''t score, and we won!!

No, A1 Canary, A FEW of the pro-Worthy brigade are rounded upon because of their weasly approach - attacking contrary views with a snidy one-liner (which comprises no reasoning or modicum of articulate debate), then slinking off again.

come off it link, i can''t believe you can sit there and say that, as if the anti lobby are the sole guardians of intelligent, reasonable debate!

as if there are no snidey one liners the other way. i read them every day! everything from ''pathetic yes men'' to ''you board lovers will get this club relegated'' to derogatory references to the ''KTF'' brigade.