Sign in to follow this  
NMTD

Just for a change - a footie question...

My lad came up with a good question for me the other day which I honestly couldn''t answer, so I thought i''d put it to the statto types amongst us as it offers a bit of light relief on this msg board which has got - shall we say a little entrenched - since Saturday.

Who is/was the most prolific goalscoring defender we''ve ever had?

This came up because he plays in defence himself, and has been intrigued by Craig ''Goal Machine'' Flemmings performances of late.

Duncan Forbes?, Dave Stringer?, Steve Bruce?, Mark Bowen? Malky has scored a few - who is it?

Anyone out there with the answer, or theories?

Could hardly call Iwan a defender could you - take another look at Saturday''s defensive display from the big man!!!

In answer to your question, in recent times Andy Linighan got a few, but I would guess maybe someone like Malky

Good question that!

Well, Duncan Forbes scored 12 from 350 appearences, Dave Stringer scored 22 from 497, Mark Bowen scored 27 from 394 and Malky.....not as many as 27 I am sure! So Mark Bowen leads so far.

Of course, Chris Sutton started as a centre back and scored 43 goals! Does that count??!!

Anyone else with any ideas?

Depends if you called John Ryan a defender or midfielder! Dave Stringer definitely scored one of the most crucial, the winner in the last minute v Palace to keep us up in our first ever season in the old First division, but then again Bowen´s in Munich, Steve Bruce´s in the cup semi v Ipswich......

Steve Bruce..... 21 goals in 180 games. A goal every 9 games makes him by far the most prolific defender. He got double figures when we got promoted in 85/86.
Bowen was leading goalscorer one year with 6.
Ashley Ward was leading scorer the year we were relegated from the Premiership with 7.
Our top scorer this year has got 5!!!!